• Don Hanson III Stoned Ivory Bowie

8 4.91%
  • Kyle Royer Ring Guard Bowie

14 8.59%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bladeforums BEST BOWIE - 2009 Edition - THE FINALISTS

Bladeforums BEST BOWIE - 2009 Edition - THE FINALISTS

ADVERTISEMENT
    2009 was in fact a great year for bowies, as evidenced by the record number of nominations - all worthy knives in respect of which both makers and owners should be proud.

The nimination thread can be found here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=701878

Your votes have yielded the following 7 finalists - two more than the usual 5 due to a 3-way tie for the final spot. They are presented here in alphabetical order for your votes in an open poll to select the overall Best Bowie.

While not required, it would add to the enjoyment of all if you could say a word or two about what appeals to you about the knife you selected.

The poll will close automatically "2 days after 01/04/10" - which I take to be Wednesday morning, but just in case the forum software thinks it means something else, better to cast your votes early.

Now to the knives:

1) Russ Andrews Redoubt Bowie

2) David Broadwell / Burt Foster Collaboration Subhilt

3) Bruce Bump OKCA Bowie

4) Larry Fuegen Dress Bowie

5) Larry Fuegen Cowboy Bowie

6) Don Hanson III Stoned Ivory Bowie

7) Kyle Royer Ring Guard Bowie

Last edited by RogerP; 01-06-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Although any of the knives would fit into the "exceptional" category, I voted for the "Ring Guard Bowie". It was fantastic to watch it being made step by step in the WIP thread, the damascus, details on the guards, pommel, filework, coolness of the takedown feature and tool, just made it my choice.

Lastly, since we just had a "blue moon"....couldn't resist that blue mammoth

Peter

You're right Peter, ALL are exceptional. I voted for Larry Fuegen's dress Bowie. Why? ...because I HAD to, that's why!

Jim Taylor.

Congrats to all the finalists, as they are all beautful renditions of my favorite knife type!Tough choice for sure, but I went with the Ring Guard Bowie.The mammoth on this one is exquisite, as is the damascus. I also like how Kyle takes on a technique he has never done before and makes it look like he's been doing it for years. This young man has some serious skills
    The DVD "Basic Rawhide Sheath Construction" now available! http://jmcknives.blademakers.com

For me it's gotta be the Subhilt. Gorgeous! Lately I've been eyeing those mono steel temperline blades more and more. Just love those. And between the Don Hansen Stoned and the Subhilt I just liked the subhilt a tiny bit more.

I voted for #4 the Larry Fuegen Dress Bowie. It is simply a stunning tour de force.

I like these knives (almost) equally much, but I had to vote...so I voted for Bruce Bump's Bowie. The reason....the steel, the steel, the steel!!!!!!!

Marcel

My collection & available knives: http://marceldierijck.fototime.com/welcome

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptgdvc View Post
    I voted for #4 the Larry Fuegen Dress Bowie. It is simply a stunning tour de force.
    Same here, and everything is sole authorship, including the sheath. TOTAL package!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson
    Victory comes with the sword still in the scabbard
    The Way of the warrior is a dying art

Yes, Larry Fuegen's Gentleman's Bowie does quite a lot
    for me too. Wonderful proportions, the beautifully designed
    blade with its 5" clip point, the touch of carving on the ivory
    and the silver wrap. All come together in perfect harmony.

All the best,
    David Darom (ddd)

By the way, Roger and Lorien thanks for the great
    job you two did with this exciting event. It re-exposed all
    of us to some true masterpieces of inspiring value.

One should think of putting together a modern edition
    of the classic of 1990 "The antique Bowie knife book",
    maybe something like "The Modern Bowie Knife Book"...

All the best,
    David Darom (ddd)

I voted for the Broadwell/Foster subhilt. It's the one I'd most like to handle (Hanson stoned ivory a close second).

I find the sculpting of the handle and its extension onto the blade very appealing. The mix of textures, flow of the lines, one-piece hilt/subhilt, etc., all blend well to my eye.

The combination of the all-business-looking sharp end and the elaborate handle, and the transition from one to the other really does it for me.

dave

An outstanding slate of Knives here.
    My #1 pick was between Bruce's Bowie, David/Burt's Subhilt and the Royer Ring Guard Bowie. I'm not really into subhilts thus helping to eliminate the David/Burt piece, creating a very difficult decision between the other two. Bruce's bowie is remarkable with it's dead-on overall proportions, beautiful amber stag and just the right amount/style of engraving from Tom Ferry. However (right or wrong) I assign a degree of difficulty in creating each knife similar to what's done in judging individual sporting events and this is where the Royer squeezed ahead. Even though I own the Royer piece I don't believe my decision would have been different if I didn't.

Click on logos for info
    My Collection & Available Knives: http://www.kevinjonescustomknives.com/

Great job for a very fun competition. We where all able to see some of the most amazing work by so many talented makers. Forget about the fact these knives where all made within the last year.

I ended up going for the Bruce Bump, same reason as Marcel. The steel is truly amazing. Add the egraving, stag, style, etc. a very cool knife. No matter who ultimately wins I think they are all more than worthy.

I too want to thank both Roger and Lorien for all of their hard work.

I also want to thank all of the makers. You guys are great and true artists. The quality and vision you have are the reason I have enjoyed being a collector and why knives are my favorite form of art.

I wish a presperous New Year to you all!!

Jon

Yeah I really can't get over that Bruce Bump bowie. It is just an amazing composition. It came down to that one vs. the royer ring guard., but which did I end up choosing?

After a lot of staring and enjoying all of these knives I had to vote for Bruce's knife. The steel is incredible, the lines are great and it just looks like what I think of when someone says "bowie".

Russ Andrews' knife fit this description as well and was fantastic. That subhilt is a spectacular piece of work but I like the more traditional styling of Bruce's knife.

I almost feel guilty voting for any of these knives as it's almost a slight to the others. I can find no fault with any of these and it really just comes down to the "feeling" I get from the knife and not so much the craftsmanship. Absolutely outstanding work by all of these makers.

SDS

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel54 View Post
    I like these knives (almost) equally much, but I had to vote...so I voted for Bruce Bump's Bowie. The reason....the steel, the steel, the steel!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jones View Post
    Bruce's bowie is remarkable with it's dead-on overall proportions, beautiful amber stag and just the right amount/style of engraving from Tom Ferry.
    These sum up quite nicely why I voted for the Bruce Bump OKCA Bowie. Stag and damascus have always been among my most favourite combos - and the Andrews Redoubt was right up there in the mix for me. I wish it had better pics - it deserves it.

The Royer piece is truly exceptional in every respect. And I think we can look forward to even better form Kyle - a truly mind-boggling concept.

ddd - I like your idea.

Roger

Roger thank you for our annual bowie amazement. Truly some outstanding pieces. I had to go with Bruce Bump's piece of art. When I look at it it just comes right out and says bowie. Everything is in proportion and the execution is flawless. Beautiful knife! Everyone of the choices is fantastic, but that one just grabs me.
    Brion R. Tomberlin
    Anvil Top Custom Knives
    member ABS, Mastersmith
    KGA, AKA, CKCA
    " My work really is the daily grind"
    WWW.Anviltopcustomknives.Blademakers.com
    Table 7P at Blade

I'm choosing the Foster/Broadwell collaberation. The knife is more than what any single knifemaker can accomplish--it is the seamless integration of two uniquely different styles to make one beautiful masterpiece. Also, as in nature, that is the one knife that doesn't have a single straight line anywhere, thereby making it an even more difficult piece to create.
    Chris

Willoughby...Next stop, Willoughby.

fyi, Roger did all the work.

I really like Russ's bowie, I also like Bruce's but these are all really nice/phenominal blades!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information