Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Shave of the day?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopster View Post
    What setting did you have the Futur if you don't mind me asking.
    I call that the F-Stop (F for Futur). I use an F/3 for Feather Blades.
    Last edited by Gollnick; 01-18-2011 at 12:09 AM.
    Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
    http://www.balisongcollector.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gollnick View Post
    I call that the F-Stop (F for Futur). I use an F/3 for Feather Blades.
    Thanks, I haven't ventured up that aggressive yet. Hopefully when my technique improves I can get more accomplished per pass. I've been starting each blade at F/1 just to make sure I keep the nicks to a minimum.

Preshave:Hot shower
    Brush: Omega Silvertip Badger conversion
    Soap: Porarso Cream
    Razor: Frankenrazor (Canadian #77 New Gillette Head with Probak Handle)
    Blade: Dorco ST-301
    Aftershave: Musgo Real Aftershave Balm

I had a few days growth because I have been working on a knife again and the finish sanding seems to really get me focused on what I am doing and I loose track of time. With the growth I figured it was perfect for the open comb razor. Normally I get a couple of weepers from this razor, but today it was like a dream. It was chopping down the excess beard like there was nothing there, and when I had finished my 5 pass shave there was no sign of a weeper or nick any where I did get a little irritation on my neck but a cold rinse and the Musgo cleared that up in seconds. Right now my face is silky smooth and irritation free. Gotta love these old Gillette razors, almost 80 years old and still kicking butt

George
    If you are playing life on easy, you are never going to win when it counts
    Knife making is hazardous to my bank account

Quote Originally Posted by willgoy View Post
    I'd like to know what that Musgo Real balm is like.
    After a week or so of using the Musgo Real balm I can say it's good stuff that isn't overbearing. I find it to be pleasant smelling with a hint of lime at the beginning even though I don't think there's lime in it.
    It doesn't leave my face feeling quite as soft and supple as the Nivea sensitive balm but very nice still. It has a little thicker feeling after absorbing but it definitely smells nicer as the Nivea is just kind of "clinical" smelling if that makes sense.
    I actually took a small container and mixed some of both to try getting the best of both.
    Considering the Musgo cost me $18 and I can get the Nivea locally for around $6. I doubt I'll be buying the Musgo again, probably experiment with something else when the time comes.

Thanks for the info. As I'm in Europe it should be easier to get the Musgo Real (is it from Spain or Portugal?) The Nivea is OK stuff but I'd like something different and the L'Occitaine Cade is almost out.

Today, used the Merkur Traveller, a fine small razor that delivers an outstanding shave and is really compact break down for travel.

Feather (none better or even near in my book I'm afraid)

Badger brush

Vulfix Old Original Sicilian Lime shaving cream. Didn't like this at first, bit drying I thought but the secret is to whip it up a bit longer in the mug. The smell of limes is sharp and refreshing, almost start drooling and want a drink! Good stuff but costly even in Europe.

Ice cold splash and a dab of Nivea. I'm ready!

wow! yall into shaving! cool.
    this is how i do it for a few years now.
    i pretty much shave only on week days. i hit the gym, every week day morning, so after my work out, i sit in a dry sauna for about 20 minutes, really pouring out the sweat at this time, rinse off in the shower, go into the cold plunge pool for 10 minutes, rise off in the shower, go in the whirl pool for 15 or 20 minutes, rinse off .....go into steam room for 10 minutes or so. i come out, and use a soap dispenser for a shot or 2 of soap, break out my disposable gillette, thats usually about a week old and been tumbling around in my work out bag, and shave.
    no nicks and always comes out smooth as a babys behind.

Quote Originally Posted by larm View Post
    ... break out my disposable gillette, thats usually about a week old a....
    You could save real money by switching to a DE razor. The razor may be a bit more expensive initially, but the blades are way cheap.
    Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
    http://www.balisongcollector.com

javascript:;
    didnt work...i was posting a pic off ebay of a 1956 gillette super speed dubble edge, says "like new condition" for 25 bucks...i choose that year because it matches my birth date. i seen a few for less thou, for different years. 56 a good year? decent price? thx
    Last edited by larm; 02-02-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by larm View Post
    javascript:;
    didnt work...i was posting a pic off ebay of a 1956 gillette super speed dubble edge, says "like new condition" for 25 bucks...i choose that year because it matches my birth date. i seen a few for less thou, for different years. 56 a good year? decent price? thx
    It depends on the condition, and where you are located. The most I have paid for a razor is $35 + shipping for a Slim Adjustable. I am holding an $8 average for the razors I have if I take out the ones that were gifted to me. I just recently bought a lot of 5 razors that contained a cased Fat Handled Tech, 2 Ball End Techs, 1 New, and a 1920s Single Ring for $55 shipped. So the deals are out there as long as you aren't looking for a specific razor and year.

The Superspeeds are great razors, from what I hear. I don't own one yet, but I do have a couple of Rockets, the British/Canadian equivalent, and they are among my favorites.

Soap: L'Occtaine Cade
    Razor: Edwin Jagger 89L

After some reading and responding in here that last couple of days I realized that I have been neglecting my EJ89L since my little 7 day razor comparison, so I broke it out again. It had been long enough that I actually forgot what good shaver this razor is for me. In comparison to the vintage Gillette's I have been using, this is one hefty razor. The extra weight makes it easy to plow through any stubble that is in the way. Even with the extra weight it is still a mild razor so it would make a great beginner razor, well it is a great beginners razor.

Oh and it look pretty too

George

I really enjoy the DE89L. I can get 3 passes in 10 minutes with no irritation at all. The Israeli reds are wonderful too.

Steve
    USMC RETIRED

Brush: Fendrihan Silvertip Badger
    Soap: Porarso Cream
    Razor: Frankenrazor (Canadian #77 New Gillette Head with Probak Handle)

Just a quick 4 pass with the Franken razor, no nicks, no weepers. Not the perfect shave experience from a few days ago, but still a nice shave. I am hoping the lot of razors I bought comes in today, it has been 10 business days since they were shipped to me so some time this week

George

Brush: Fendrihan Silvertip Badger
    Soap: Nivea For Men Cream
    Razor: Gillette New (Deluxe?) Short Comb
    Blade: Shark Super Stainless

So the New that was in my recent purchase was the first up to bat, and my first try with a Shark blade. I am unsure if it is a New Deluxe or not I am still doing a bit of investigating on that. I do know that it came with a Red and Black case so that gives me an idea that it is 1933-34 time line.

I am not overly impressed with the Nivea shave cream, it is a little flowery scented for my taste. It does the job ok, but not as good as my Proraso soap/cream or the other soaps I keep in my stable. the new New razor kind of reminds me of Fat Bastard in the Austin Powers movies when he is asking to eat Mini Me. the razor/blade combo begs to cut down facial hair. while aggressive I think with a better soap or cream it would just glide along with zero irritation and still keep mowing down hair.

End result, a DFS with a bit of irritation on the neck. Tomorrow I will try them with some Proraso cream or soap maybe some L' Occitane soap to see how it goes.

Brush: TGN Silvertip Badger
    Soap: Proraso Cream
    Razor: 1921 Gillette Single Ring

I was going to wait till the weekend to use this one, but the draw was to great so I loaded it up this morning, filled up the sink dropped my brush and mug into the hot water and jumped in the shower. As an added bonus I qued up some modern jazz (Lee Aaron's Slick Chick album) on the computer.

I was a little nervous about shaving with the Single Ring, not because I was scared that I may damage it or rip up my face, but because I had read mixed reviews on the aggressiveness of this razor and I wasn't sure what to expect. Some say it is aggressive, others say that it is mild because of the thinness of modern blades as compared to old blades. Well for me it is and aggressive razor with a modern blade. Not rip your face off aggressive, but firm and authoritative. It cleans my face with ease, but you can feel that it is ready to bite if you step out of line.

For some reason the mix of jazz and a old type razor seemed to go very well for me. Don't get me wrong I am not a jazz fan, my taste in music leans more towards punk and metal, but every now and then I like to change it up, hence the LARGE music library.

I also like the idea of including a picture of your tools for a shave of the day post like bigmo66 did, so when I get home tonight I will need to polish up the razor again and try snap a nice picture of today's tools.

Got a few new things and samples..

EJ DE89L
    Vulfix Luxury Sandalwood Creme sampler
    New Semogue 1305 Brush
    Personna Red
    Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel
    Conk's Bay Rum sampler

3 passes and got a darn good ATG, followed by a witch hazel rub and finished with a splash of Conks Bay Rum.
    Steve
    USMC RETIRED

Soap: Proraso Green Soap
    Razor: 1949 Gillette Rocket
    Blade: Israeli Personna Red

Oh My God, I think I have finally found the blade to knock my beloved Dorco ST-301s off the top of the heap

In the batch of razors I bought I got a few blades to try out too. Among them were 2 Israeli Personna Red blades. As much as I want to try out all my new razors, I also wanted to try some of the blades that I haven't tried yet. to keep the variables to a minimum I went with a razor I know I like, and a soap I can trust to perform every time, leaving the only new factor as the blade. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, smooth can't describe how well this combination worked for me. Mind you this was a first shave with a new blade and I still need to see how long that great shave performance lasts before I run out to the nearest online dealer to make a bulk purchase, but if I can get 3-4 good shaves out of a blade I will be making a bulk (100) purchase in the near future. I don't know what I will do with the better part of 100 Dorco blades and 100 Personna blades, but needles to say I wont be buying blades any time soon and will be quick to offer up a sample pack to new wet shavers

Oh if you couldn't tell I had one of those great shaves today, BBS, no irritation, nicks or weepers

And yes the razor is that shiny, no polishing, just a wipe down with a damp cloth
    Last edited by unky_gumbi; 02-19-2011 at 10:10 PM.

The Musgo Real aftershave balm is really growing on me. I actually look forward to putting it on at the end like icing on the cake.

I like it better than my Gentleman's Refinery Standard Balm, I prefer the sent of the GR Standard better but the feel of the Musgo wins hands down, it just makes your face feel buttery smooth no matter how bad the shave was, and the scent isn't that far behind the GR.

Quote Originally Posted by unky_gumbi View Post
    just makes your face feel buttery smooth no matter how bad the shave was,
    Haha, I know that feeling. Sometimes when I'm having a bad shave I think "Well, at least the Nivea and Musgo will make it feel better when I'm done."

I've actually been applying a mixture of the two first, then allowing it to absorb while I put all my stuff away, then do another application of just the Musgo. It's one of life's luxuries for sure.

Brush: Frendrihan Badger
    Soap: Proraso Green Cream
    Razor: 1934 Gillette Short Comb New
    Blade: Israeli Personna Red

Hands down the smoothest shave I have had including a paid for straight shave, it knocked my socks off. Pictures of the set up to follow later today. The actual shave you will have to take my word for

Last edited by unky_gumbi; 02-22-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread Information