Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Forge Burner plans? Need some

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Walla Walla Washington USA
    Posts
    9,606

    Forge Burner plans? Need some


    ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm going to teach a 2 hour college class on knife forging and want to make a burner for Show and Tell. Its not a hands on demonstration but more of an informational for beginners as a hobby. I would like both the venturi style and the forced air type. Anybody have a favorite tutorial on the subject? This could help many people here.
    Please visit my website at http://brucebumpknives.com click on my Knifedogs personal forum at:http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.ph...ce-Bump-Knives for hours and hours of tutorials on Knives and Cut N Shoot combinations

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,312
    Indian George for forced air (you have to click "ignore the warning" to get there
    http://www.indiangeorgesknives.com/b...g_a_forge.html

    and Stacy's hi low controls - JT and Nathan B-silver Pilate? have had some good posts

    Ron Reil and this text for Venturi
    Therd are lots of designs
    http://ronreil.abana.org/design1.shtml


    Gas Burners for forges Furnaces and Kilns-Michael Porter.pdf
    http://www.amazon.com/Gas-Burners-Fo.../dp/1879535203

    Preview it here
    http://rapidshare.com/files/33451161...ael_Porter.pdf


    plus some links

    http://home.flash.net/~dwwilson/forge/plan1.pdf

    http://home.flash.net/~dwwilson/forge/plan2.pdf

    http://www.zoellerforge.com/simplegasforge.html

    http://www.holisticforgeworks.com/ga...orge_plans.gif
    Last edited by 12345678910; 01-13-2010 at 01:16 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Walla Walla Washington USA
    Posts
    9,606
    A couple good ones there. The Don Fogg for sure. Anybody have more? Imagine that I was a newbie and wanted to build a small vertical forge. How do it do it?
    Please visit my website at http://brucebumpknives.com click on my Knifedogs personal forum at:http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.ph...ce-Bump-Knives for hours and hours of tutorials on Knives and Cut N Shoot combinations

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    aiea, hi
    Posts
    300
    Hi Bruce,

    Not really a tutorial, but you might try the modified sidearm burner at zoellerforge.com. There're links to drawings and faq's that are helpful.

    There are also some basic forge construction tutorials at that site.

    Take care professor, get those kids on the right track, Craig

    edit for being a knucklehead and missing the links mentioned above

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Deatsville, Alabama
    Posts
    3,935
    You going to teach them about cut and shoots?

    I'd love to be there for this class.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stamps, AR
    Posts
    1,167
    Bruce, the first forge I made came from this sites tutorial. Pretty simple and strait forward with parts attainable by anyone.
    http://www.arscives.com/bladesign/forge.tutorial.htm

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Walla Walla Washington USA
    Posts
    9,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty McDonald View Post
    Bruce, the first forge I made came from this sites tutorial. Pretty simple and strait forward with parts attainable by anyone.
    http://www.arscives.com/bladesign/forge.tutorial.htm
    That is about what I was looking for. Myself use a mankel but need a link that the new guy could build a working forge, afforable and easy to follow instructions. This one is all of that. Thanks Rusty.
    Please visit my website at http://brucebumpknives.com click on my Knifedogs personal forum at:http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.ph...ce-Bump-Knives for hours and hours of tutorials on Knives and Cut N Shoot combinations

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Grover,NC
    Posts
    574
    Bruce, the modified sidearm burner shown in that tutorial is an excellent burner. If properly tuned, it will operate from 2# to 30# input pressure.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    663
    Bruce, I built my very first forge using this tutorial. The side arm burner is great. Very efficent and can hit welding heat easily with properly designed forge body. It's a great place to start but some day they will most likely want to move on to a forced air burner.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bump View Post
    That is about what I was looking for. Myself use a mankel but need a link that the new guy could build a working forge, afforable and easy to follow instructions. This one is all of that. Thanks Rusty.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Walla Walla Washington USA
    Posts
    9,606
    Quote Originally Posted by efleming View Post
    Bruce, I built my very first forge using this tutorial. The side arm burner is great. Very efficent and can hit welding heat easily with properly designed forge body. It's a great place to start but some day they will most likely want to move on to a forced air burner.
    Do You have any forced air burner designs?
    Please visit my website at http://brucebumpknives.com click on my Knifedogs personal forum at:http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.ph...ce-Bump-Knives for hours and hours of tutorials on Knives and Cut N Shoot combinations

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    N. W. Florida
    Posts
    1,355
    I always like to help a newb, "some helped me out and some still are"! Here is my list.

    http://ronreil.abana.org/design2.shtml

    http://www.arscives.com/bladesign/forge.tutorial.htm


    This next link came from fredlyfx.com and had been posted on this site. It is the design that mine was fabricated from. It has had burner angle modifications, courtesy of Ed Caffrey to create a vortex. The other modifications are of my own design.
    Click thumbnails for larger view:


    Part1
    http://fredlyfx.com/large%20propane.htm

    Part2
    http://fredlyfx.com/progress.htm

    http://forgegallery.elliscustomknifeworks.com/

    http://zoellerforge.com/

    Site for parts:
    http://www.rayrogers.com/blower.htm
    http://www.ccallis.com/black_iron_fittings.htm
    http://www.cornerhardware.com/index....7b41fc4b9dbf6a



    http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/Temp...164_CFM_Blower

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Turkey, Bodrum
    Posts
    1,363
    Here is my recent design, maybe it'll help you sir. I really love them.
    http://picasaweb.google.com.tr/emrekipmen/Burner#
    They are with interchangeable orifice and working both atmospheric and forced. Easy to make too...
    Emre

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Walla Walla Washington USA
    Posts
    9,606
    Quote Originally Posted by galadduin View Post
    Here is my recent design, maybe it'll help you sir. I really love them.
    http://picasaweb.google.com.tr/emrekipmen/Burner#
    They are with interchangeable orifice and working both atmospheric and forced. Easy to make too...
    Emre
    Do you any dimentions and orifice size etc? Looks nice. Is this yours?
    Please visit my website at http://brucebumpknives.com click on my Knifedogs personal forum at:http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.ph...ce-Bump-Knives for hours and hours of tutorials on Knives and Cut N Shoot combinations

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorktown, Va
    Posts
    379
    Bruce

    I could not figure out how to post the design and I don't have a website, so I emailed a design for a hybred burner design. Feel free to share it if you wish.

    Jim Arbuckle

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bump View Post
    Do You have any forced air burner designs?
    Yes. Tall forge with a false bottom. Fully temperature controlled by PID. Holds +- 2 degrees of setting. Temp range is ~1200F to 2500F. Doubles as a salt pot. Remove false bottom to put in sword length salt pot. Bottom burner is used only when full length salt pot is in operation.

    Burner is 14" of 2" black pipe starting at the 75CFM blower then reduced to 1" just after elbow. This config allows for good air/gas mixing. There is also a 1" pipe connector at the end of the 1" pipe as it enters the forge. The tip is kept about 1" back inside the 2" thick kawoal liner to protect it from melting. BTW, this is set up with natural gas running at residential pressure ~.25 PSI (yes 1/4 PSI). The orifice size going into the burner tube is 3/8". Ball valves for adjusting gas flow are also 3/8" as is the smallest orifice size anywere in line. Using NG is all about volume rather than pressure. Nice thing is you are billed on levels of usage. My gas bill does not change if I run this for 32 hours in one month (I'm a weekend maker). What that means is I run my forge for no gas cost and never have to fill tanks.

    You can see it at this link --> http://www.flemingknives.com/shoptour.htm

    Just click on the picture of the forge to see detailed views of the burner and control arrangement.

    Hope this helps...

    Eric

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Elberta Alabama
    Posts
    112
    Hello Bruce,,,,here is a link to a very simple forge burner that seems to work fairly nice.I built this burner for my forge and is still working great.
    All parts can be found in most towns or cities.


    http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oliverburner1.html

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Walla Walla Washington USA
    Posts
    9,606
    Quote Originally Posted by efleming View Post
    Yes. Tall forge with a false bottom. Fully temperature controlled by PID. Holds +- 2 degrees of setting. Temp range is ~1200F to 2500F. Doubles as a salt pot. Remove false bottom to put in sword length salt pot. Bottom burner is used only when full length salt pot is in operation.

    Burner is 14" of 2" black pipe starting at the 75CFM blower then reduced to 1" just after elbow. This config allows for good air/gas mixing. There is also a 1" pipe connector at the end of the 1" pipe as it enters the forge. The tip is kept about 1" back inside the 2" thick kawoal liner to protect it from melting. BTW, this is set up with natural gas running at residential pressure ~.25 PSI (yes 1/4 PSI). The orifice size going into the burner tube is 3/8". Ball valves for adjusting gas flow are also 3/8" as is the smallest orifice size anywere in line. Using NG is all about volume rather than pressure. Nice thing is you are billed on levels of usage. My gas bill does not change if I run this for 32 hours in one month (I'm a weekend maker). What that means is I run my forge for no gas cost and never have to fill tanks.

    You can see it at this link --> http://www.flemingknives.com/shoptour.htm

    Just click on the picture of the forge to see detailed views of the burner and control arrangement.

    Hope this helps...

    Eric
    Hi Eric,
    Thanks for the tour! You have some nice equipment in there. I like your forge allot. Its not for the newbie though.
    Please visit my website at http://brucebumpknives.com click on my Knifedogs personal forum at:http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.ph...ce-Bump-Knives for hours and hours of tutorials on Knives and Cut N Shoot combinations

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Walla Walla Washington USA
    Posts
    9,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxey View Post
    Hello Bruce,,,,here is a link to a very simple forge burner that seems to work fairly nice.I built this burner for my forge and is still working great.
    All parts can be found in most towns or cities.


    http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oliverburner1.html
    That really is easy to make. It looks like a great burner for a new maker or a small vertical. Thanks Man!
    Please visit my website at http://brucebumpknives.com click on my Knifedogs personal forum at:http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.ph...ce-Bump-Knives for hours and hours of tutorials on Knives and Cut N Shoot combinations

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixieblade57 View Post
    I always like to help a newb, "some helped me out and some still are"! Here is my list.
    LOL! Never thought I'd hear Bruce called a newb...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Walla Walla Washington USA
    Posts
    9,606
    Quote Originally Posted by amcardon View Post
    LOL! Never thought I'd hear Bruce called a newb...
    If ya ask a "newb" question, ya get called a "newb"
    Please visit my website at http://brucebumpknives.com click on my Knifedogs personal forum at:http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.ph...ce-Bump-Knives for hours and hours of tutorials on Knives and Cut N Shoot combinations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •