Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Archive

ADVERTISEMENT
    Will the grommets also be spaced sufficient to attach a TekLok buckle?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic303 View Post
    Will the grommets also be spaced sufficient to attach a TekLok buckle?
    Eyelets will be set to accept a small Tek-Lok. If you wanna use a Large, let me know.
    Not currently taking orders kiah@kiahdex.com Kiahdex Sheath Systems Forum Hail Eris!
    "Got a little plot of land where authority isn't recognized. Contraband keeping the core of his Hyde Jekyll-ized."

Small teklok works for me. Thanks for the info.

Something I'm working on.

Moved from the pic thread to avoid clutter.

Good stuff. Here's what I've been doing on my lazy Sunday.

Just a small clipped piece.

It may not look like much, but here's the cool part...

It's not coated in any way.

It started off white, but the color and graphic are part of the Kydex now. Scratching to the white would require digging into the Kydex through the color layer. In other words, it's on their for good. Pretty cool stuff.

The bad part is, as cool as it looks with the whole flaming skull thing going on, it was actually meant to be solid. The dye I'm using is my own homebrewed concoction, and unfortunately, it's so strong that it melts my vinyl stencils in under a second. Unfortunately nothing weaker will penetrate the Kydex without bleeding back out. So, I need to find something stronger for stencils. I can still get some pretty neat designs going without them though. Custom camo, brushed, etc. The possibilities are intriguing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kiah; 04-19-2009 at 08:40 PM.
    Not currently taking orders kiah@kiahdex.com Kiahdex Sheath Systems Forum Hail Eris!
    "Got a little plot of land where authority isn't recognized. Contraband keeping the core of his Hyde Jekyll-ized."

Quote Originally Posted by kiahs View Post
    So, I need to find something stronger for stencils.
    Interestingly enough, this stuff can melt mylar, but I've just discovered that it has no effect on painter's tape. Whoda thunk it? Off to see if they make painter's tape wide enough to run through a plotter.

Edit: Apparently they do.
    Last edited by Kiah; 04-19-2009 at 08:40 PM.

great news Kiah! Its really cool that the image is actually in the Kydex.

Funny how certain chemicals react to different materials eh.....

That is super-badass man. I'm glad you're experimenting with things further to really perfect the stenciling. Still lovin' my M2K sheath though, the design has stuck on there despite rough use.

That flaming skull bit looks sweet.

Dyes that penetrate the kydex? Badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh K View Post
    Dyes that penetrate the kydex? Badass.
    It really is pretty freakin' cool. It took a lot of experimenting to get the right mix, but it seems to be working well. It's some harsh stuff to work with though. It melts the top layer of the Kydex as it goes in and then rehardens. A good respirator is mandatory and gloves would have probably been a good idea. My hands are literally purple.

Another cool thing is that the color range is pretty much infinite, except for black. Try as I might, I can't get black to stop being brown. It's a mystery.

I ran some painter's tape through the plotter last night and tried it for a stencil medium. It works great. Shocked me a little. If there's ever a chemical bomb dropped on southern Kentucky, I'm gonna be wrapped in blue from head to toe.

It really is pretty freakin' cool. It took a lot of experimenting to get the right mix, but it seems to be working well. It's some harsh stuff to work with though. It melts the top layer of the Kydex as it goes in and then rehardens. A good respirator is mandatory and gloves would have probably been a good idea. My hands are literally purple.

Another cool thing is that the color range is pretty much infinite, except for black. Try as I might, I can't get black to stop being brown. It's a mystery.

I ran some painter's tape through the plotter last night and tried it for a stencil medium. It works great. Shocked me a little. If there's ever a chemical bomb dropped on southern Kentucky, I'm gonna be wrapped in blue from head to toe.
    Couldn't you start with a black base and then dye on top of it?

Most black is really just a very dark blue instead of true black. Maybe try concentrating some blue?

That faded flame effect is cool, but probably not worth it when you expend a stencil every time. Have you tried perforating the painters tape to get a similar effect?

Couldn't you start with a black base and then dye on top of it?
    Nah. Can't dye over black. Other colors will mix.

Most black is really just a very dark blue instead of true black. Maybe try concentrating some blue?
    That could work. I'll mix up some blue later and give it a shot. Colors need a day or two become dark after mixed.

That faded flame effect is cool, but probably not worth it when you expend a stencil every time. Have you tried perforating the painters tape to get a similar effect?
    Just going over an image that's already dyed with a q-tip coated in a lighter dye gives the same effect. There's a lot of cool things you can do with the dye that can't be done with paint.

Just going over an image that's already dyed with a q-tip coated in a lighter dye gives the same effect. There's a lot of cool things you can do with the dye that can't be done with paint.
    Tell me about it. Looks sweet!

Is this a completely home brewed thing or something you modified?

Is this a completely home brewed thing or something you modified?
    I order the dye pigment powdered and add a couple other ingredients to make it into "Kydex dye". The cool part is that I can mix it to thin liquid, thick liquid, or use it as powder after adding a couple of things to make it seep into the Kydex for different effects and applications. I can run it through an airbrush, paint it on with a brush, or sprinkle it on. Neat stuff.

Pretty little lumps of dye that'll curl your nosehairs.

I order the dye pigment powdered and add a couple other ingredients to make it into "Kydex dye". The cool part is that I can mix it to thin liquid, thick liquid, or use it as powder after adding a couple of things to make it seep into the Kydex for different effects and applications. I can run it through an airbrush, paint it on with a brush, or sprinkle it on. Neat stuff.
    Really neat stuff.

email sent, put me in for one.

Thanks,

Chris

Lightbulb Freebie Thread

I'm making a freebie thread. Stuff that came out imperfect or stuff that I've found scattered about that isn't worth the hassle of listing for sale or I may just feel the urge to give something cool away. Everything will be functional, but may have cosmetic or fit "imperfections".

I'm gonna keep this thread stickied and add from there.

First person that claims something gets it. I'll pay shipping.

Rules: You must be a paying member of BFC. All Basic members and up are eligible (except for you Spooky, as I've got a box ready to be filled this weekend *cough*Fiskars*cough* ).

Keep 'em outa the pic thread.

My camera's USB cord is forked, so no pics.

Let's begin.

1. Mora 2000 Foldover .060 - Found it in a box of stuff. Blade fit is too loose. No belt loop. Eyelets set for TekLok or neck carry. Gone

2. Clipper .060 - Fits MOS Clipper (pretty much), not Frost's (and yes they are different). No belt loop. Blah blah. Gone

3. Buck 119 .060 - Rubs the blade a bit. No loop. Probably don't wanna carry it on your neck.

I'll add some more Tomorrow as I tidy up the "shop" and find more.
    Last edited by Kiah; 05-11-2009 at 11:37 PM.

I'd like the first one (Mora 2000). You can probably include it with my two Swick sheaths. Thanks.

I'll take the clipper sheath, Thanks Kiah!

Woohoo, glad you pulled the trigger on a cover!! Can't wait to see it.

Got some formed, will finish the rest up Tomorrow and get 'em shipped out Wednesday or Thursday.

If I haven't responded to your emails, I'll get back to you Tomorrow. I tend to let 'em pile up a bit.

Bad lighting, but you get the jist.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information