Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: elmax steel (how does it compare to others?)

elmax steel (how does it compare to others?)

ADVERTISEMENT
    I was just browsing the new 2010 knives from Kershaw. They have a liner lock version of the Speedform for about half the price of the frame lock. It uses Elmax steel. Anyone have any info about this steel? How does it compare to 154cm, s30v, etc.? The framelock Speedform uses Elmax edge fused with d2 behind it as a spine.
    Last edited by harkamus; 01-29-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Elmax is 1.7% C, 18% Cr, 3% V, wear-resistant powder steel by Uddeholm. Should be a good steel.

Actually I believe the ti Speedform uses an Elmax edge with a D2 spine, at least according to the information posted in this thread. I have one on order so I guess we'll see before too long . . .

Quote Originally Posted by TaTaToothy View Post
    Actually I believe the ti Speedform uses an Elmax edge with a D2 spine, at least according to the information posted in this thread. I have one on order so I guess we'll see before too long . . .
    Correct.

Elmax tested very well in our lab.

sal

Yes, the ti Speedform is the frame lock version. There is a liner lock version that uses textured g10 scales. The blade is also 3.25 on the liner lock versus 3.75 on the ti frame lock.

EDIT: Ooops, I see what you meant. Time to edit my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Glesser View Post

sal
    Hi Sal, does that mean we can expect an Elmax Military one of these days ?

sal
    hmm, spyderco testing Elmax steel. i wonder what models it would be applied to. paramilitary 2 perhaps?
    -Matt
    "Rock is not the devil's work. It's magical and rad." -JB
    ~Carpe diem, vita brevis~

bizarre laminate, powder d2 as the sides? why put all those carbides out where they don't help when a tough, stain resistant alloy could be out there?

It's not laminated on the sides of the blade but at the spine of the blade. I think it is because of the contrast that can be achieved between the two steels.
    You don't pick the day.
    The day picks you.

Yeah, the Kershaw composites are not a "San Mai"-type laminate. With the Kershaw knives you essentially have two separate blades, one of which includes the spine and one of which includes the cutting edge. They are brazed together with a copper-based brazing rod. This thread describes how they are constructed and shows detailed pics. What I find interesting is that the Speedform uses such a high-end steel (D2) in the spine. My understanding is that the two steels have to respond similarly to heat since the heat treating is done after the two halves of the blade are joined, which is presumably part of the reason they don't just use an inexpensive steel for the spine (the other reason being marketing - most people wouldn't want a 440A spine on their elegantly-designed, $200+ folder).

Quote Originally Posted by kwackster View Post
    Hi Sal, does that mean we can expect an Elmax Military one of these days ?
    Hi Kwackster,

We tested it some time ago. We tested a number of their steels. All in all, good quality product. We have no plans fort Elmax at this time. It might make a good Mule Team project?

There are so many steels to "play" with.

We mostly use Crucible for our USA made and Tawain made models. We work with several Japanese foundries, but usually with our makers in Seki.

We've not done very much with European foundries to date, but I imagine in time we might.

sal

My understanding is that the two steels have to respond similarly to heat since the heat treating is done after the two halves of the blade are joined, which is presumably part of the reason they don't just use an inexpensive steel for the spine.
    Bingo.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

elmax

not too much different than duratex 20v. 20v does have 1.0 mo.

Hi Kwackster,

We tested it some time ago. We tested a number of their steels. All in all, good quality product. We have no plans fort Elmax at this time. It might make a good Mule Team project?

There are so many steels to "play" with.

We mostly use Crucible for our USA made and Tawain made models. We work with several Japanese foundries, but usually with our makers in Seki.

We've not done very much with European foundries to date, but I imagine in time we might.

sal
    Sal, did you by any chance also test one of Uddeholm's nitrided PM steels like Vancron 40 or Vanax?

//Rickard//

We tested a number of their PM steels. All did well in our testing.

sal

Were your tests with the CATRA machine only for edge retention or did you test for corrosion resistance? Did you test any of the other Bohler Uddeholm steels, M390, N690, N680, Vanax 35?

ELMAX is now available in sheet from .125-.230. Stock in Seattle, WA. Can be heat treated to 60-62 with good toughness and to 57-59 for very high toughness.

Great edge holding and corrosion resistance.

Is Elmax stainless or a carbon steel???

Stainless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information