Thread: are switchblades legal to carry in florida

are switchblades legal to carry in florida

ADVERTISEMENT
    just wondering if you can carry them

I thought the ban on automatic knives was national. you have to be military or law enforcement to own one.

This link may help you find out the laws in your state. You also need to make sure to check the laws in your city or county. For instance, here in Texas, San Antonio has some very strict knife laws that are different from most of Texas.
    Knife laws link; www.autoknifeworks.com/statelaws.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by freedoom View Post
    I thought the ban on automatic knives was national. you have to be military or law enforcement to own one.
    No, this is not the case. There are states where they are legal to carry. In Texas, they are legal to own, but not to carry other than on your own property. IIRC, the Federal law is about importing and selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Bass Tech View Post
    This link may help you find out the laws in your state. You also need to make sure to check the laws in your city or county. For instance, here in Texas, San Antonio has some very strict knife laws that are different from most of Texas.
    Knife laws link; www.autoknifeworks.com/statelaws.aspx
    Nice link.It has Fl. as yes to possess and yes to carry.
    The laws change alot.You use to need a CWP to carry an auto knife or any knife beyond a "pocket-knife" which I believe was interpreted loosely as 4 fingers.That was my understanding anyway.Probably a good idea to have a CWP if you have to deal with law-enforcement.Many don't know the laws and are willing to let a judge figure it all out which is a pain in the butt.

I was told by three vendors at a gun and knife show a few weeks ago, that autos were legal to carry in FL. Of course, they are trying to sell knives. I read through the laws to confirm for myself, but without being a lawyer, they are hard to understand. The only thing that I found that specifically mentions automatic knives states that they are not defined as a weapon since the blades are not ballistic. Does that mean that they are legal to carry? Who knows???

Autos are legal to carry in Florida--you just need a CCW permit to carry them concealed. So basically as long as it's in a pouch on your belt then you're fine--at least that's how I understand it.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    Autos are legal to carry in Florida--you just need a CCW permit to carry them concealed. So basically as long as it's in a pouch on your belt then you're fine--at least that's how I understand it.
    yep

FL has not state statute targeting autos or bali's. however, FL state statute defines anything "other than a common pocket knife" as a "weapon" and CONCEALING a weapon, in FL w/o a permit, is a misdemeanor. FL has no state statute against the open carrying of edged weapons (swords included).

so... carrying one, openly, is legal. carrying one concealed, with a permit (our permits apply to non firearm weapons) is legal. carrying one, concealed WITHOUT a permit, will depend on whether or not the cop who finds it considers it a "common pocket knife"

Quote Originally Posted by zignal_zero View Post
    yep

FL has not state statute targeting autos or bali's. however, FL state statute defines anything "other than a common pocket knife" as a "weapon" and CONCEALING a weapon, in FL w/o a permit, is a misdemeanor. FL has no state statute against the open carrying of edged weapons (swords included).

so... carrying one, openly, is legal. carrying one concealed, with a permit (our permits apply to non firearm weapons) is legal. carrying one, concealed WITHOUT a permit, will depend on whether or not the cop who finds it considers it a "common pocket knife"
    I guess that we now have to question what the defenition of concealed is. If the knife is clipped inside of your pocket with the top 1" and clip clearly visible, is it concealed?

taken from leg.state.fl.us

(3)(a) "Concealed weapon" means any dirk, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the weapon from the ordinary sight of another person

i would feel comfortable calling a knife, of which only the clip was exposed, concealed. i almost NEVER arrest ANYBODY for simply having something (other than hard drugs), i tend to stick to arresting people who are actually doing something

Quote Originally Posted by zignal_zero View Post
    t
    i would feel comfortable calling a knife, of which only the clip was exposed, concealed. i almost NEVER arrest ANYBODY for simply having something (other than hard drugs), i tend to stick to arresting people who are actually doing something
    Yea, but what would the prosecutor say about that exposed clip. Not saying that I would want to have to go through the hassle of legally defending myself after being arrested for a conflict over the definition of exposed vs concealed, but that one is win-able for the defendant. That's why in FL you should just get a CWP so you don't have to worry about debates such as these. Thankfully you've got the big picture about who to arrest though. Either way, I appreciate what you do.

RS

Thread Information