Thread: 165UH Walden, What is the correct sheath?

165UH Walden, What is the correct sheath?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello all. Been away for a while. Work has kept me too busy. On the plus side, I still have a job, so I guess we take the bad with the good.

I have a Schrade Walden 165UH with serial number. I know the next generation 165UHs had the sheath with the stone pouch but I am uncertain about this earlier model. What is the correct sheath for this model?

Thanks,
    Greg

Greg, take a look at the link below, this is from Larry's (lrv) site schrades r us.

Top right hand corner shows the 165UH in showcase with the sheath complete with stone holder. I have only seen the 165OT with the flat sheath without the stone holder.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r..../SW-69-ads.htm

Russell

Russel, thanks for the link. I cannot see the 165 close enough to determine the shape of the shield to see if it is 1st or 2nd gereration. However, as the ad is for "Schrade Walden" and not for "Schrade Cutlery" I must assume that the knife shown is a 1st generation. That means I need a sheath as the sheath I have for it is pocketless.

Also, was there any difference in the sheaths with the sharpening stone pocket between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations?

And, if anyone has a sheath and stone cluttering up their home, let me know... :-)

I will continue my search...

Greg

Last edited by Codger_64; 02-23-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Greg, here's that old Schrade Walden display, all original, circa 1969. The 165 has a fairly low serial number, but unfortunately it's facing toward the back! I do recall posting the number on this site somewhere, if I find it I'll post it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Eric

Eric,
    Yep, that's basically mine. I have an anomaly, and I've seen a few others like it. The rivets and shield are nickel silver and the shield is blank. Still, I need the correct sheath to keep it company now. :-( Like I said, I'm continuing the search. It does look like any 165UH sheath will work as it looks like they did not change, although I am uncertain if the type and/or color of the stone changed.

And Michael, Thanks for the links. And it's your fault by the way. I got my 165 addiction from posts and pics of your beauties! My first one was my dad's that he bought in the early 70s, tang stamp removes so subtly that you cannot tell it was ever stamped.

Thanks to all for the info,
    Greg
    Last edited by Bridgeman; 02-23-2010 at 01:48 PM.

I think a 153UH sheath will work. You might try one if you have one handy before you go out and buy one.

I do not have one, although I do have two 165 sheaths without the stone pouch. That is the temporary home for it for now. I'll go looking. Thanks for the tip.

Greg

SN is 1648 on the one in the case, odd that the blade is stamped on the opposite side of the knife from the shield, I wonder how long they did that?

Greg, I may be able to dig a sheath up for you, but it likely won't have a stone. I'll let you know here in a few of days.

Eric

Eric, most of that production were stamped on blade left.
    Last edited by Codger_64; 02-23-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Eric,
    Thank you. I'll keep my eyes on the thread, or you are welcome to email me. I have been away from the forum for far too long anyway. Work is quite literally driving me bonkers and I need some sanity time away, even if it's just a mental escape!
    Greg

Thanks Michael!

Will do Greg, I'll let you know if one turns up.

Eric

Greg, what is your SN on that right stamped 165UH?

The earliest serial number I have seen on a Walden 165UH tang stamp left, serial #03150 and the latest, #03670, places them in the first months of production in 1969, or possibly the last months of 1968. Walden 165UH #07162 and #9469 have the right hand stamp, as does my #13134.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty1 View Post
    Greg, take a look at the link below, this is from Larry's (lrv) site schrades r us.

Top right hand corner shows the 165UH in showcase with the sheath complete with stone holder. I have only seen the 165OT with the flat sheath without the stone holder.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r..../SW-69-ads.htm

Russell
    Looking at the little ad upper left for what appears to be the 108OT, 34OT, and 8OT. Looks like the handle type is "Unbreakable Meerlon". The Meerschaum/Staglon hybryd.

Codger,
    The serial number is 16946.
    Here's the picture.
    Greg

Thanks!

As to why your shield is blank? There is no way to be certain, but it may have been an SFO. Remember the early SFO Shikari had a custom stamped shield. I have several patterns of Schrade hunting knives with blank shields.

I have a Craftsman 15OT with a blank shield. Also, it would have been consistant with Sears to order knives with different rivets and shield than production. Quite often their only I.D. change to production items from Schrade consisted of a blade etch. Perhaps you might examine your blade under strong magnification to see if there is a vestige of an etch of some sort?

I'll examine the blade in a few hours and report back.

Greg

Update: Nothing visible in the way of etch. Some of the original mill marks are still visible.

Quote Originally Posted by thawk View Post
    Looking at the little ad upper left for what appears to be the 108OT, 34OT, and 8OT. Looks like the handle type is "Unbreakable Meerlon". The Meerschaum/Staglon hybryd.

What a hoot! I wonder if that's seriously what they were calling it at first, I've never seen that before. Good eyes there Hal!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ea42 View Post
    What a hoot! I wonder if that's seriously what they were calling it at first, I've never seen that before. Good eyes there Hal!

Eric
    I don't know, but I've seen the Old Timers called Staglon in their literature. True to form, that sheepsfoot is riding high too.

I like reading through ads. Many times ads are not proofed before going to press.

Thread Information