Thread: Maxam Knives

Maxam Knives

ADVERTISEMENT
    new here, not really sure where to put this but,
    has anyone had experience with Maxam knives?
    are the good quality of cheapos that will break easily?

Blog Entries
    HI joshuawy -

I have a Maxam folding knife - it is a large one with a 4.5 inch blade.

It has Japan stamped on the tang.

I have had the knife for 25 years and although it has not seen abuse (I usually don't use my knives for prying etc.) it has held up very well over the years.

I paid around $10 for it from a friend who was selling them at the time back in the 80's.

Picture with an Emerson CQC7 for size comparison.

It seems to be a very good quality knife - but I cannot say how good the newer examples are.

best regards -

mqqn

Welcom to the forums. They are definetly cheaply made knives no doubt. Probably on par with Mtech knives. they are both chinese made knives and usually take well known designs from top knife companies and make them with crap materials and quality. They use "440" stainless steel, and as you will learn on the forums there are a ton of 440 ss class knives. They like many other low class knife companies may use 440B steel which is pretty bad. I would stay away from maxam. mqqn said his was made in japan and he has had it for 25 years, maxam is a totally different company now. Japanese knives are made extremely well, chinese ones generally aren't with exceptions of course. I would maybe reccommend Byrd knives for a great quality for low money knife

Thumbs down on late model Maxams. Got rid of the one I had.

Save up and learn, so you don't have to go through "the process" so much.
    I bought, sold, and threw away quite a few knives before joining BF and getting
    educated. If I saved the money I now look at as wasted I could have bought several
    "grail" knives.

Definitely cheap knives, relative to the many other good knives that are available. That said, some of the designs (not the "ripped off" designs) are decent. I have a few of their knives that I purchased early in my knife collecting days and I have handled others, and while they will never be the stars of my collection, there is a place for them too.

- Mark
    “Spinning Cyclone of Death"

Quote Originally Posted by mqqn View Post
    HI joshuawy -

I have a Maxam folding knife - it is a large one with a 4.5 inch blade.

It has Japan stamped on the tang.

I have had the knife for 25 years and although it has not seen abuse (I usually don't use my knives for prying etc.) it has held up very well over the years.

I paid around $10 for it from a friend who was selling them at the time back in the 80's.

Picture with an Emerson CQC7 for size comparison.

It seems to be a very good quality knife - but I cannot say how good the newer examples are.

best regards -

mqqn
    I have that same knife, bought it 25-30 years ago. Can't remember for certain where I picked it up, but I think it was at some "off the beaten track, gas station/bait & tackle shop" for less than $10.

I agree with the above comments, it has been a surprisingly good knife, holds an edge well, and has been kicking around the house in the pantry for years. Gets used regularly for opening packages, etc.

I am not familiar with their newer offerings, but they don't seem to get very positive press here on the forums.

Kevin

Question

Well generally they are pos, but lie all knives have some good ones and pos. I' have one frost cutlery flying dragon that I would put it up against a Ka-Bar next generation fixed blade.

Buy one. Break it. Buy something better.

(it would be preferable that you did not damage yourself while breaking it)
    "I'd rather be hit with a bullet than a Milk Dud" ~ The Markman
    InsertHere.
    "Life is short, play naked!" ~ Calvin

I bought this thing that was a pack of 3 for $20. I pretty much got what I paid for. definitly cheap knives but for the price I paid not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ktomes_340 View Post
    Well generally they are pos, but lie all knives have some good ones and pos. I' have one frost cutlery flying dragon that I would put it up against a Ka-Bar next generation fixed blade.
    Sorry, a fantasy knife will not even approach what a Next Gen can do. You smoke?

Back in the mid 90's alot of what they offered were low end made in japan knives with 440a blades I useta sale them and use them and they were good blades for the low price they cost they hade a couple of hunting knives that were very good and I've got a large chopper that I've beat to hell and still is in good shape but like alot of things today they changed to made in china junk and the diffrence was night and day. They had a spyderco knockoff that when it was made in japan was actually a decent knife that held up well and had a good lock then when it moved to china the blade and lock got really thin and would break if you looked at it wrong and all the knives from then on got really bad. They now use 420j2 thats so soft you can bend it in half with your bare hands and will dull if you try to cut bread with it. Much like everything else Maxams knives are made by the lowest bidder.

maxam

members whom wish to buy inexpensive cutlery would be better advised to buy used second hand good quality knives at flea markets or yard sales. i'm always amazed when people spend 6.00$ for a new knife & expect a miracle wonder.

i was just cjecking, cuz a buddy of mine said that they were pretty good, of course the one he has was his dad's so it's like 25-30 years old

Blog Entries
    they are terrible.

#420 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Thread Information