Thread: Coal Creek Forge - Review

Coal Creek Forge - Review

ADVERTISEMENT
    I recently have had the pleasure of dealing with Stephen Liley. I asked him to make me four spike hawks. Two for me and two for my Brother as gifts. He agreed and forged them instnatly, I had the tomahawks in hand in less than a week from ordering them.

Not only had he sent the four, but he had also included a Pee-Wee tomahawk for my four year old Son. The Pee-Wee is forged exactly as the full size ones, but for me it is even neater because of it's smaller size. It seems to me that the details "jump out" more on the smaller head.

In the pictures below you will see that I trimmed and shaped the handle on the Pee-Wee to be more of a hatchet shape. This enables my Son to hold it in his smaller hand. It also lends some detail to the overall coolness of his Pee-Wee.

I only have pictures of the two I kept, as my Brother took his when he went home. The other two were the ones he "cherry picked" although I think mine are the nicer ones anyway. You can see that I notched my handles so that we could tell them apart while we were throwing them. We may be grown, but we are still Brothers, so you can't be touching each others stuff...

Now about the Tomahawks. I know that you can buy mass made hawks from cold steel for about $30-$50 bucks, and they are fine.

However if you want a tool that is of the quality to become a family heirloom, something worthy of being passed down for generations. You should buy a tomahawk from Coal Creek Forge. They are hand forged by a real blacksmith. These hawks are beautifully made by someone that cares about each individual piece he turns out. They are differentially heat treated and hold an edge exceptionally. They fly true and bury SO deep. I can just "feel" the quality of work and the "energy" these hawks possess. That may sound Hippy-Dippy but you might agree if you were to hold one.

He also took the time to harden and treat all the handles. Included a spare handle and extra bee's wax for them all. He was a pleasure to deal with, a true gentleman and a knowledgable resource.

I look forward to taking my Son to our country's indepedence war sites and teaching him about the "old ways" using his tomahawk as an example of how a man can do simple artful work that he can be proud of. How your work can be tied to your identity and how character trumps everything.

I guess that is what I mean to say. Stephen Liley of Coal Creek Forge has the type of character that turns out work that is exceptional. I am proud to have a few pieces of his work, and hope to instill some of the values that his work exemplifies in my Son.

Steve, Thank you. BDM
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great pictures, mighty fine review, and some fantastic Hawks.
    Looks like your son is happy with his new hawk..............
    Dusty One

Great Review of your Coal Creek Forge HAWKS Steve does some outstanding work

BDM, your little guy must be lovin his life. Steve is a great guy to work with and makes great Hawks.

Best regards

Robin

Yep what Darksky said. I really like the hawk Steve made for me. Since I received it I have not used my knives much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
    BDM, your little guy must be lovin his life.

Robin
    We have a heck of a good time. Fo only has two speeds. Off and Full Tilt Boogy

He got his first "stick" today. One full rotation and it planted. He started whooping and came and got me out of the shop. He won't be four until July. I am a Proud Papa...

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    We have a heck of a good time. Fo only has two speeds. Off and Full Tilt Boogy

He got his first "stick" today. One full rotation and it planted. He started whooping and came and got me out of the shop. He won't be four until July. I am a Proud Papa...
    He's a lucky little guy to have a Papa who buys him a Coal Creek spike hawk at 4 years old. Good on ya Papa.

Best regards

Robin

How do I get in contact with Coal Creek Forge?

Quote Originally Posted by euroross View Post
    How do I get in contact with Coal Creek Forge?
    Here click

Go to his contact info and you can send him an email.

Thread Information