Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: Post your 165's!

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    It is no more than pure unsupported speculation, but since these two transition knives are so closely numbered, and that no one seems to know about any others so far, I wonder if the entire production of them only occupied hours or at the most, days.

Quote Originally Posted by tongueriver View Post
    It is no more than pure unsupported speculation, but since these two transition knives are so closely numbered, and that no one seems to know about any others so far, I wonder if the entire production of them only occupied hours or at the most, days.
    Days might be right. Given that common quantities for sampling would be 200-500 pieces. Watching for similar pieces (over years) to see the serial spread will give some clues. So far the spread is in the low hundreds. This can then be bookended with pre-ECO pieces and post-ECO pieces. At best an estimate on the total number so marked. However even now, with so few pieces seen, it is apparent that they are far fewer than the SW serialized left and SW non-serialized right. So while not "rare", they are uncommon. More so because of over 40 years' attrition.
    "A knife in a mans hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a womans neck" Felix Mirando

As the great Andrew Martin once said "One is glad to be of service".

Schrade sheath knives for sale HERE

Love it when these topics go into full on knife "wonk" mode.

Which doesn't seem to happen with near the frequency as a few years ago.

A brief review of my records shows that this particular ECO may have happened earlier than I remember. Like circa 1970 or so. Thus there were several years' worth of the blade right/no serial pieces made before the name change circa early 1973. Another explanation as to why the ratio of the latter in surviving examples is so skewed.
    "A knife in a mans hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a womans neck" Felix Mirando

A newer member just contacted me to report his recently acquired Shikari 165OT serial #00266. I added it to the Shikari survey and we are waiting for him to post pictures here.

It's still got blood and hair from the blacktail buck he killed this year.
    Last edited by Redtail58; 12-02-2015 at 10:08 PM.

I tried photo bucket but it doesn't seem to be working.

Where do you folks keep your pics to share?
    Last edited by Redtail58; 12-02-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtail58 View Post

I use tinypic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Redtail58 View Post

Living up to the knifes nameplate.

Nice to see one still in action these many years later. Love the look and texture of that sheath as well.

Always good to see those early ones especially. That sheath with the diagonally oriented strap would be correct for that early serial number, I believe. It does look a little different than one that I have.

From Mr. Vickery's site:

See the two ads below. 1967 was the earliest I could find an ad for the 165OT. There was also an ad in 1970 that showed the diagonal handle strap.

From 1971 till the end all I could find were ads and pictures of the horizontal handle strap with the 165OT.

Diagonal handle straps where also found on other models sheaths but I didn't make note of any changes if any on those model's sheaths.

To note for the catalog the picture(artists representation) of the sheath for the 165 didn't change from diagonal to horizontal until the 1972 catalog. 1971 had both the diagonal handle strap for the catalog pic and the horizontal strap in the ad below. For what it's worth.
    http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/C...71-SW-CATS.pdf

Again this is all based under the presumption that the ads are labeled for the correct year they are representing. Also I use the word picture liberally to identify both pictures of actual items/knives and artists representations of actual items/ knives.

1967 with the diagonal handle strap:
    http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/F...s/SW-67-11.htm

1971 Ad included in the catalog from that year with the horizontal handle strap
    http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/F...es/SW-71-1.htm

Last edited by FatCity67; 12-03-2015 at 05:09 PM.

My new in the box collection examples suggest that the 165OT sheath design changes earlier.

Serial #004533, from 1967, differs only in the sheath style. The retainer strap has been moved from the guard to a pair of die-cut slots in the belt hanger just above the sheath throat. The strap now has a snap portion on either end and wraps around the knife handle behind the guard.

I may be wrong, but the strap on the above sheath looks to be a replacement if the sheath is original.
    Last edited by Codger_64; 04-08-2016 at 03:10 PM.

This would be the correct sheath with diagonally oriented strap from a boxed set, serial #2102:

Adding a post quote from another thread showing a very nice original condition Woodsman.

Quote Originally Posted by tongueriver View Post
    ... I just got this 165 in today, serial # 17026, not the earliest or latest # I have seen, but it is absolutely untouched; the factory grind lines go all the way to the cutting edge. The included sheath was original and perfect, with that good smell and totally supple...

Any more 165's out there? Come on now, somebody's holding out.

I got this one in the 1980s.

Here's my 165UH serial number 00935, left side stamp. Posting a photo, hope it works!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread Information