Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Axe info

Western end of Michigan's upper peninsula

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have a nice double bit head stamped S. S. & A. Co. All I could find out was that the Simpson Scythe and Axe Co. was making axes in Oakland, Maine around 1880. Must be a rare one.
    I also have a Canadian pattern broadaxe made by C. Hammond of Philadelphia and sold by Pritzlaff Hardware of Milwaukee.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Section10 View Post
    I have a nice double bit head stamped S. S. & A. Co. All I could find out was that the Simpson Scythe and Axe Co. was making axes in Oakland, Maine around 1880. Must be a rare one.
    I also have a Canadian pattern broadaxe made by C. Hammond of Philadelphia and sold by Pritzlaff Hardware of Milwaukee.
    Jim
    Pics?
    Axes4Life

Western end of Michigan's upper peninsula
    I tried to, but no success.

Know this maker?

I looked in Axe Makers of NA and didn't find anything that seemed to match. Simple stamp, two diamonds side by side. Left one seems to be HGB and right one 1897. Axe was in Maine when I got it, and is kind of a cool pattern, though it doesn't show it that well in the photo. Will try to improve that.

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

Could it be an S? Hibbard Spencer Bartlett

Or maybe if it's a Maine axe maker, you could find something in this (Registry of Maine toolmakers)? http://www.davistownmuseum.org/PDFs/Vol_10_Registry.pdf

Another couple of manafacturers: Still produced- Keech Racing Axes/Keesteel Racing Axes/ Aussie Speed Racing Axes. Australia, I have a couple of these axes in my racing box-very fine peices of gear.

No Longer made= True Blue Racer (unsure who made them)
    I know that the Kelly Axe Co (USA) was making the "Dandenong Kelly" which became a very popular axe, this was made in Ausdtralia at least until the late 80's, produced under licence locally by Cyclone Industries. Anything that anyone futher can add or indeed correct-then please let me know!
    Another one from Down Under is Hytest-unsure if its still made, I dont think so though

Thank You for taking the time to make this list.
    -Bruce
    RAT PACK # 1001

Might want to add Stubai of Austria to this list. They still make a wide range of axes.

http://www.stubai.com/seiten_englisc...rst-02-eng.htm

They make a wide range of fine looking forestry tools.

http://www.stubai.com/pdfs/stubai-de-forst-screen.pdf

Mann Edge Tool Company (Lewistown, PA)...and True American to the brand names. I have four of them. They where produced in several single bit and double bit sizes. Great axes that feature a true convex blade grind.
    Double Ott
    Last edited by Double Ott; 04-28-2012 at 10:38 AM.

i have a hatchet that have a stamp Gewerkschaft CM Seebach ... is look veary nice, i`am curios to if some one now when (year) this axes are made ?
    [IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by John Frankl View Post
    I just picked up a couple of nice old axes marked "Eclipse". Any ideas?
    I wonder if its the same company that made the Eclipse windmills and wagons?

Quote Originally Posted by biglapdog View Post
    I wonder if its the same company that made the Eclipse windmills and wagons?
    They were made by Plumb.
    Axes4Life

Well it looks like Tol3do has come and gone but I do happen to have an axe marked "Gewurkschaft Seebach". Gewurkschaft means trade union in German so it must be German or Austrian. I'm not sure on date of manufacture. Here's mine

Has anyone heard of Allied? I bought one marked Allied "Titan" 1 1/2 today. it has a short boys axe handle.

Quote Originally Posted by biglapdog View Post
    Has anyone heard of Allied? I bought one marked Allied "Titan" 1 1/2 today. it has a short boys axe handle.
    Does it say "Italy" on it?

Great list indeed

Yes it does. That would be the exact one. I searched the board for "allied" but didn't
    find anything. Does anyone know any background on it

Last edited by biglapdog; 12-12-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Thought you guys might like a look at these two English trade 'hawks from the Royal Armouries museum in Leeds, England. Both from around 1800

Here's a little hatchet head stamped "EVANSVILLE DEFENDER" but I haven't had much luck finding information on it.

Beckerhead 65

America's National Parks: Come on vacation, leave on probation..

Quote Originally Posted by tradewater View Post
    Here's a little hatchet head stamped "EVANSVILLE DEFENDER" but I haven't had much luck finding information on it.

This help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6_M...e_gdata_player
    Semper fi, GFY!
    Just shut up and use your f#?*!ng knives!
    http://Www.tmhuntcustomknives.com/

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information