Thread: Steel Question to Scott and ALL

Steel Question to Scott and ALL

ADVERTISEMENT
    Every thing I have gotten from Scott so far has been in A2. My first gossman was a PSK from a run scott did in A2. It was basically my first custom. I was real happy with its preformance so since then everything else I have ordered I got in A2. Back in christmas I bought a unused second hand PSK SR in O1. I gifted it to my cousin for christmas. But before that I put a scarry edge on it rather easily. With that being said I have just ordered a kephart in 0-1 to give it a try. Reason I did is the O-1 seemes to me to sharpen easier but I have had no real problem with A-2 either. I just wanted to hear some other takes and opinions on Scotts Knives in these steels or others. Trying to learn a little more.

Hogging off steel on a belt grinder in (Gods Country) MD.
    CD, both O1 and A2 are very close in make up. A2 is a bit tougher and less resistant to rust then O1. Honestly those differences are close to nil that you will really never see much difference. I've found A2 and O1 sharpen about the same. One is not harder then the other to do.
    Scott

Do you really think A2 is less rust resistant than O1. I have been using the backwoods companion I got from knivesshipfree for the past several weeks out in the yard, and have found it is holding up great to not rusting. I was a bit surprised actually that it did not get any rust spots after a day of changing sprinkler heads and getting wet from the spray.

Other than that I feel both are about equal for ease of sharpening.
    I live in the 909.

JTC, I neglected to mention that the finer the finish on any steel the less chance that it will rust. I put the same finish on all my knives no matter which steel it is.
    Scott

I seem to be able sharpen O-1 more easily. Maybe I'm just deluding myself here. Both steels seem to perform really well...maybe with a tip of the hat to A-2. Love 'em both.

Quote Originally Posted by JTC3495 View Post
    Do you really think A2 is less rust resistant than O1. I have been using the backwoods companion I got from knivesshipfree for the past several weeks out in the yard, and have found it is holding up great to not rusting. I was a bit surprised actually that it did not get any rust spots after a day of changing sprinkler heads and getting wet from the spray.

Other than that I feel both are about equal for ease of sharpening.
    You have the Backwoods Companion with bone and micarta? If so, that is A2 steel.
    Scott

Scott, I'd love to see you use some D2 one of these days
    Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by cnas122 View Post
    I do use D2. I've made alot of knives out of it. It just A2 is more requested.
    Scott

Connecticut surrounded by liberals unfortunately
    I use Scott's A2 blades all the time teaching courses and on my own trips. I have never had one chip, roll or break. Scott really has his heat treat down and I have a lot of trust in his blades and give them my highest recommendation. I've used his blades in 01, 154cm and A2 but prefer his A2 above all else.
    Kev

Head Instructor/Owner
    Estela Wilderness Education
    www.kevinestela.com

Find Estela Wilderness Education, LLC on Facebook and become a fan!

Quote Originally Posted by cnas122 View Post
    I have one of Scott's Big Tusker's in D2... and a 'normal' Tusker in A2... both really good blades and both work quite well.

... hope I didn't rabbit-trail this topic too much.

Thanks for the replies guys. The original Buffalo knife I made Ron Hood that is featured in Woodsmasters Buffalo Butchers Vol. 17 is made from D2 steel. All that talk about D2 chipping is nonsense. Edge geometry and the right heat treat and temper on any steel is what counts.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Gossman Knives View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. The original Buffalo knife I made Ron Hood that is featured in Woodsmasters Buffalo Butchers Vol. 17 is made from D2 steel. All that talk about D2 chipping is nonsense. Edge geometry and the right heat treat and temper on any steel is what counts.
    Scott
    The D2 knife I have f/you has Buffalo horn scales... I purchased mine 2nd hand here on BF a while back. I can't remember who the original owner was. I'll have to get a few pics and follow-up here on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotte View Post
    I seem to be able sharpen O-1 more easily. Maybe I'm just deluding myself here. Both steels seem to perform really well...maybe with a tip of the hat to A-2. Love 'em both.
    Sharpend up on my O-1 Kephart last night and to tell you the truth I think it defently sharpens up easier. Now to see if that is a trade off in edge holding with my demands on a knife. Probably will as I am not a knife abuser.

Thread Information