Page 20 of 94 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEW Post Your Campsite/gear/knife/hiking/anything Outdoorsy Pic Thread!

ADVERTISEMENT
    Jeez! That's three times the mass of my biggest!

nuthin

more nuthing

still more nuthing

and sumthing at last !

no probs , be there in a lil while ....

"He can't see me. I'm camouflaged."

Myal, that is great...turn in 1200 Km...just a short drive.
    Die Entropie der Welt strebt einem Maximum zu - R.J.E. Clausius

my last hikking pics I hope you like them.

ever felt the urge to stick up a sign " for sale , slightly used " ?

lol ;-)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matthew Gregory; 08-12-2011 at 07:37 PM.
    There is no going back. If you find that you're comfortable where you were, it's because you never really left.

M Gregory Knives

Awesome pics!

Last weekend we went for a short hiking/caving trip to the Padis region in Transylvania again.

That's some beautiful country!!!!
    There is no going back. If you find that you're comfortable where you were, it's because you never really left.

M Gregory Knives

Vortex - Those pics of the stream look like a great place to sit and relax for an afternoon.
    Die Entropie der Welt strebt einem Maximum zu - R.J.E. Clausius

After I went for a good fossilhunt (I'm an amateur-Palaeontologist), I went for a long walk as well.

First of all, the abandoned quarry where I went searching for fossils last time...

A cow that went for a refreshing drink in the Lesse river

A slippery friend...

A long gone castle from long gone times...

A view on the Maas/Meuse river in the vally by dawn...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Gregory View Post
    That's some beautiful country!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lambertiana View Post
    Vortex - Those pics of the stream look like a great place to sit and relax for an afternoon.
    Thank you!
    We had a hot day and the climate was really refreshing in the canyon.
    Last edited by vortex; 08-14-2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    [...]

[...]
    Looks like a fun hike!

Quote Originally Posted by Galeocerdoshark View Post
    After I went for a good fossilhunt (I'm an amateur-Palaeontologist), I went for a long walk as well.

First of all, the abandoned quarry where I went searching for fossils last time...
    [...]
    Ever find anything good?

Quote Originally Posted by HikingMano View Post
    Ever find anything good?
    Absolutely. I usually search for fossilized shark teeth. The oldest ones I've found myself are Triassic in age, the youngest are Pliocene. I've made a website on the Triassic stuff I found, I'll mention ite below. Sometimes, to mix things up a little and to create some variation in my collection, I go hunting some other fossils such as Trilobites, which was the case in the pictures. That time the finds were not really good. Since the quarry is abandonend, no fresh material comes to the surface because they're no longer exploiting the rock (Belgian Blue Hardstone, a Devonian chalk which was used for expensive tiles and windowsills and so on).

Anyway, the link: http://rhaetianlorraine.webs.com/

It's fun going outdoors and finding all that interesting material. Downside is I'm always looking down... while "up" is also often very nice.

@ HikingMano:

Some more examples of what I tend to find...

A shark tooth waiting to be pulled out of the sand

Here I was trying to recreate a jaw from Cosmopolitodus hastalis(which failed because I lacked some tooth positions)

A good day...

Some teeth from the Cretaceous:

An echinoid and a flintstone covered in small echinoids:

Shots from some of the locations I visit:

On the left you can see two of my fossiling-buddies walking (with some trouble, haha).

In some quarries, they use rather small machinery (I'm also in the picture, for size comparison):

I think that'll be enough for now. I have this strange feeling that this post is kinda picture-heavy...hmmm

Wow! Very cool! Many of those teeth are less than five millimeters long, it's incredible that you find them. I'll have to browse the your site more thoroughly later, thanks for sharing it!

ETA: Just saw your new post after browsing your site and posting my reply. Great pictures! I have more questions but they'll have to wait, heading out for a bit of camping.

Galeocerdoshark
    Great post! Great pictures of your finds. I'd say your no amateur-Palaeontologist! Your website is very well done. Bet you have some nice necklaces made of shark teeth. I would be making all kinds of jewelry out of those finds. Superb

@HikingMano,

Feel free to ask!

@Gevonovich,

I've spent a lot of time in my books so I do read a lot of scientific material on the subject. However, when you didn't study Palaeontology and working for a museum or university, I don't think you qualify as a real Palaeontologist. However, a lot of people with tons of field experience now a lot more than some of those who only read and never or rarely go out in the field... So who's the real expert? I'm working on a publication for the moment as well, I'll post it here when(if?) it's finished/published.
    I do have tons of material to make necklaces or other stuff with, but I rarely do so. I don't know why honestly... I think it might be because I want the complete teeth to be in my collection, whereas I find that the broken material isn't nice enough to make jewelry with? Maybe I'm wrong.
    However, I'm really wondering how a handle for a knife -made out of shark teeth- would look like. Because they're never flat and always have a certain depth that differs from root to tip I think it isn't possible to make it very comfortable when they would be on top of the handle. However, when you would make a plastic mold embedding several teeth and polishing it afterwards would also create a cool effect, I'm quite sure about that. But then you've destroyed the teeth and it might be hard to see that the things inside that mold were shark teeth.
    I'm really going to try to make this work and create a handle with that stuff though...

Page 20 of 94 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread Information