Page 37 of 94 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEW Post Your Campsite/gear/knife/hiking/anything Outdoorsy Pic Thread!

ADVERTISEMENT
    Looks like you had a good time! Thanks for sharing the pics... crazy it's in folks' backyards like that.

Built my first successful trap/trigger today, didn't bait it or set it anywhere particular , I just wanted to see if I could get the basics down right, success...

Sorry for the late response been a little busy on vacation. The pics are from the yellowstone / colorado / south dakota area. First trip out west. Wont be the last

This is Forest Glen Preserve, about 45 minutes [correction: EAST]of Champagne, Illinois. It was an 11-mile loop and we took our time and did it in 2 days. The weather was perfect.

I have no idea what this thing is:

This tree frog was about 5/8" long, maybe 3/4":

I sleep under a tarp, when there aren't too many bugs. What do I do when it rains, or the wind is blowing? I sleep. I sleep like a baby, because I know how to f*ckin' pitch my tarp. Pardon my sarcasm, but I have slept under tarps in all conditions, over the past 30+ years, and I think most backpackers carry too much shelter, which only adds to their load.

Last edited by redsquid2; 04-25-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    #478 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Facebook Album of My Knife Projects:

https://www.facebook.com/anderson.or...7273392&type=3

"Lord, give me patience, because if you give me strength, then I'll need some bail money too."

Galeocerdoshark, that is very exciting stuff. Not only in people's back yard, but not far below the surface.
    #478 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

"Lord, give me patience, because if you give me strength, then I'll need some bail money too."

Redsquid, I live about 15 min south of Champaign. I'll have to take the kids down there this summer sometime.

I think that thing that you didn't recognize might be a Japanese beetle trap? I'm not sure though.

Great stuff redsquid! I like your critter pictures. Is that the 8x10 ID siltarp? I'm using a Tarptent Moment right now, but I'm thinking about just using my 8x10 in areas where ticks and other bugs aren't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HikingMano View Post
    Great stuff redsquid! I like your critter pictures. Is that the 8x10 ID siltarp? I'm using a Tarptent Moment right now, but I'm thinking about just using my 8x10 in areas where ticks and other bugs aren't a problem.
    Thanks, Mano.

Yes, it's the ID 8X10. Temperatures were getting into the mid-30's at night, and there just wasn't much bug action.

If it's buggier, I use a SMD Lunar Solo. This and the I.D. are my first silicone items. I have had them both for about a year. I find that I always am propping up the edges of my Lunar Solo for better air venting. The Moment is something I have not seen in real life, but pictures look like intelligent design, esp. adjustable end vents. I have a hunch you and I could talk UL gear all day. I need to stop editing this post now.

I don't seem to be bothered by air moving around me at night. A couple of my friends have complained about being chilled by drafts in their tents, on nights when I slept like a baby under my tarp.
    Last edited by redsquid2; 04-24-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    #478 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Great photos Red, makes me want to go hiking right now!

Travis.

Quote Originally Posted by redsquid2 View Post
    [...]If it's buggier, I use a SMD Lunar Solo. This and the I.D. are my first silicone items. I have had them both for about a year. I find that I always am propping up the edges of my Lunar Solo for better air venting. The Moment is something I have not seen in real life, but pictures look like intelligent design, esp. adjustable end vents. I have a hunch you and I could talk UL gear all day. I need to stop editing this post now.
    [...]

Same here, in addition to my ID Silponcho. I almost went with the MLD Superlight Bivy to pair with the Silponcho, but decided to try the single-wall silnylon tent route first. I wanted the ability to sit up, relax/read, change, or do stuff in my shelter without being confined to a bag. I had also considered the Lunar Solo but in the end decided to try the Moment. I like the super fast and easy set-up. I like that I can freestand the tent if needed with the extra pole (not very taut set-up though), and it doesn't need a trekking pole in case I want to use both of mine to set up a separate tarp, like below:

I thought the end vents could make for a nice wind channel, and they do seem to do a decent job with ventilation; orient them with the wind and you get a nice flow of air through the tent. In really damp environments (coast, fog) you still get some condensation, but the added liner really helps keep any drips off me and my bag. After using the Moment for a little while now though, I wish it had the higher peak and larger floor area of the Lunar Solo. The ability to open the fly across the entire side (vs. only 1/2 for the Moment) is also something I wish the Moment had.

I'm really looking forward to trying out just using a tarp for the added room. Moving around in the tent, especially when a significant portion of the floor area is taken up by an inflatable pad, can sometimes be annoying (as you probably know ). Using a tarp like you would give me much more room to move about.

I'll stop derailing now, I could talk UL gear all day too I'm pretty green to the UL scene, so I'm always interested in learning from others.

Quote Originally Posted by medicevans View Post
    Redsquid, I live about 15 min south of Champaign. I'll have to take the kids down there this summer sometime.

I think that thing that you didn't recognize might be a Japanese beetle trap? I'm not sure though.
    It is actually east of Champaign, rather than south. Sorry I got that mixed up. I hope you are not driving south at this very moment, looking for Forest Glen
    #478 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Quote Originally Posted by redsquid2 View Post
    It is actually east of Champaign, rather than south. Sorry I got that mixed up. I hope you are not driving south at this very moment, looking for Forest Glen
    Nah, I grew up 1 1/2 hrs south of champaign, and lived 45 min south for several years, so I knew it wasn't down there. Lol.

"Backcountry Weekend" at Henry Coe SP yesterday. One weekend a year, road access to areas of the park that are typically only accessible by backpacking through pretty hilly terrain are opened up to a limited number of visitors. I haven't gotten my GF into backpacking yet, so I thought this would be a good time to share that side of the park with her. We weren't able to camp or backpack this year, but I'm hoping to at least camp next year. Anyway, onto the pics.

Some California scenery on the drive into the park. The weather was absolutely gorgeous the entire day, we couldn't have had better.

Hit the trail and delighted in the spring greenery.

The refreshingly green foliage was accompanied by a nice assortment of flowers. I'm not very experienced in plant ID yet. I'm going to try and look these up later.

Freshly cut trunk of a tree that had fallen over the trail.

Some trail scenery.

As we climbed up a ridge and followed it a bit, we took in excellent views of the expansive variety.

Our destination for lunch and a little R&R. There were a few fisherman spread along the shore or floating in the water. We saw one in an inner-tube snag a pretty good size fish, Bass I'm guessing.

Some shade always makes for a nice nap

It's always nice to take your shoes off and let your feet breathe midway into an all day hike. I've been using these Merrell Trail Gloves (along with Injinji socks) for everything. Work and everyday use. I've been testing them out on longer hikes, and I must say I'm pretty impressed. Next test will be a backpacking trip or two. Love the barefoot feel, and it's nice to have such lightweight shoes after a long day of walking/hiking.

More lake and lakeside scenery.

Continuing on for the return leg of our journey.

Came across this little guy sunning. I had really hoped to see and get a good shot or two of a rattlesnake on this trip...but no such luck. Lots of ticks though .

Continued below

Continued from above.

Onwards! More beautiful sights as we begin our descent back down to the valley.

Sure honey, it's all downhill from here... just a little bump or two along the way Love hiking with my girl though, she's a trooper.

After a pretty steep, gritty, and slipper descent, we hit the relatively lush valley floor. Unfortunately the creeks were dry... I do enjoy listening to creeks as we hike along em, especially at this time of the day when birds are relatively subdued in the heat.

Hit a nice open road and had a serene stroll back.

Trap just off the road. I'm guessing for feral pigs (or feral pig and introduced European boar descendents). I do know Henry Coe has been having problems with pigs.

Some native wildlife:

More nice CA hill scenery on the way out, this time with the sun near the other side of the horizon.

All in all a superb and much needed long day outside. Hope you guys like the pics I forgot to take a cutlery shot, but as usual, I had my NWA Sierra Scout on my belt, and a Vic PE OHT in my pocket.

ETA: One last one from the iPhone:

space
    Last edited by HikingMano; 04-30-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Holy smokes, all the pictures on this page are amazing! Thanks for posting people!

@redsquid: seems like you all had a good time. Hiking/camping in groups is always fun, often regardless of how well you know the people that join in.

@HM: going on a trip by yourself is great as well. Contemplating all sorts of subjects, getting to know yourself better. Hmmm :-)

GS: indeed! I'd say my trips are 50% solo and 50% with my GF or friends. This one was a nice outing with the GF, a really good day

Jill and I did a ten mile hike last weekend, and I made it a point of bringing the camera:

Digging the heck out of the macro lens!!!!!
    There is no going back. If you find that you're comfortable where you were, it's because you never really left.

M Gregory Knives

Gorgeous pictures Matthew!! Great light. I love that snake shot especially.

Matthew, you must be a professional photographer! Those are really good!
    #478 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

W&SS blast form the past.

Simon, Riley, Estela, Jones, and Tony.

Of course, they're all a little older now (especially Simon).

Big Mike

Page 37 of 94 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

Thread Information