Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Knife Sharpener

Best Knife Sharpener

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    hey guys i know that knife guys should learn to sharpen there own knives and ive tried everything and suck lol. i wish i had more time to practice but im always busy. i was wonder who is in your opinion the best sharpener i could send my knives too. i like them crazy crazy sharp. i have a sebenza and a sng and want the best thanks.

Practice, practice, practice... More practice.
    I would recommend stones if you refuse to use power tools or a set of paper wheels or belt sander if you like power tools.
    But pactice is the only way to get good. Start on crap knives and get good before moving on to your good knives.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Blade_Afficionado View Post
    Practice, practice, practice... More practice.
    I would recommend stones if you refuse to use power tools or a set of paper wheels or belt sander if you like power tools.
    But pactice is the only way to get good. Start on crap knives and get good before moving on to your good knives.
    what he said^ +1

Right now I'm liking DMT stones for V edges, and sandpaper on leather for convex. I finish both on a leather strop loaded with black then green stropping compound.

....I did learn alot of the basics by using a Lanski system though.

The best knife sharpener for extremely sharp edges?

Tom Krein!

I recommend the Spyderco Tri-angle sharpener, it's a great sharpener that's easy to use and you'll get a very sharp edge with it.

I would steer clear of power tools like the paper wheels,ive messed up some pretty nice knives on that thing, but that is just my experience. Some people really like convex sharpening on a belt grinder and if you use google's site search you can find some of the threads on them. Again, I would steer clear just because I'm not confident in myself to use power tools on knives. I use diamond benchstones and the ceramic stones from the sharpmaker as well as a strop. I have a dmt aligner on the way with all the stones and diamond paste which I have very high hopes for! In the end it's about learning to hold a fairly consistent angle long enough to get an even bevel,scratch pattern and burr and then repeat.

Diamonds are the "best," in my opinion. They don't require oils or any of that mess, they last forever, and they cut better than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by knifenut1013 View Post
    Am I the only one that noticed he said "who" not "what"?
    No. See my post above.

I have experience with Tom Krein and would gladly recommend him!

richardj or Tom Krein from my experience.

I use a cheap whetsone clamped under a angle using a protractor. Mimicing the sharpmaker.
    Have been using it since a few days and works pretty nice. Not the best, but cheap and it works

I find those little (about 2" x 2") plastic sharpeners that have two little white ceramic rods crossing like an X to be the handiest things. I lube 'em with water. The red ones that come with fishing knives have a sharper angle than the yellow ones at Walmart. I prefer the more durable angle.
    I find the "Scrubbing bubbles" in the pressurized can will float any residue right off those ceramic rods, or any ceramic rod.
    For serious sharpening on a new blade, I use a set of diamond stones.

Whoops. Well I find sending knives away to be sharpened a waste. You're better off learning and doing it yourself anyways. Sharpening knives is an indespensible skill and sending your knives to someone is cheating yourself.

Well I find sending knives away to be sharpened a waste. You're better off learning and doing it yourself anyways. Sharpening knives is an indespensible skill and sending your knives to someone is cheating yourself.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by knifenut1013 View Post
    Am I the only one that noticed he said "who" not "what"?
    Oh, wow... My eyes are getting really bad. The letters are blurry on the screen, so I don't really even read words letter-for-letter anymore.

Haha didnt notice it either.
    But the point remains the same. Learning it can be a long trail but worth it. It saves money and the pride that comes after you have maneged to put a good edge on a knife is good too
    Practice with a cheap knife and practice a lot.
    Im still learniung and use some of mothers kitchen knives. She has tons and most aren't remotely acceptable in my book so it can only get better .

If you are talking about kitchen knife then go with Presto's electric one. It has a 2 stage sharpening and automatically angled so it makes it easy to use. To me it is not necessary to take it to a professional anymore since technology is making it easier for home use

For hunting knives with serrations I would also recommend the Spyderco Tri-angle. It is easy to use and travel with. Many people say that they can get their edges really sharp. It comes with instructions and a dvd to help you get the best results.

Found this article which gives more information about these knife sharpeners:
    http://deviceraters.com/top-knife-sharpeners/

Wicked Edge. Period.

I don't have a lot of time either but absolutely hate mailing knives (have done three recently) because I have a fear that the knife will be lost. One of the three was a Randall Gambler that I waited four years to get that I sent back to Randall. Insurance does not matter if it takes me another four years to receive my replacement if lost.

Look at the Wicked Edge. It really does not take that long to sharpen a knife or even reprofile one with this sharpener. I reprofiled a BM Grip in CPM M4 and it did not take that long at all. I have the Pro Pack 2 and the stones that came with that set are perfect for me.

Plus, I have way too many knives to send away for sharpening...

Craig

Many people say that they can get their edges really sharp
    Found this article which gives more information about best knife sharpeners:
    best knife sharpener
    Last edited by jasonsocool; 08-08-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information