Thread: Sharpening the Emerson Karambits

Sharpening the Emerson Karambits

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have a Combat Karambit I carry every day, without fail, but I can't get it really sharp no matter what I try: JewelStiks, the Sharpmaker, Japanese water stones, etc. It has a broken tip from being dropped onto tile and I got it shaving sharp (barely), but I'd like it scary sharp while maintaining the chisel grind and with a nice, sharp point.

Anyone have any suggestions on who I can send it to without the BT coating getting worn off? Emerson wants to charge me an arm and a leg to get it sharpened since I live outside the US.

I found this thread on another page and Haze lists a couple of people who may be able to do it.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=734975

I dont know if it will be any use to you...but Glockfire also did the same thing. I wonder how fragile these things are that a drop shatters the tip :S. Perhaps the SuperKarambit has a slightly thicker blade compared to the Combat model but I am going to follow your advice from yesterday anyway...tell us non Americans how it goes eh? It might be useful in case I do the same thing.

Thanks Armalite! Well, it was one heck of a tip, so I'm not surprised it broke. I definitely wouldn't want to do that with my Spyderco Karambit--that bad boy has a needle tip.

I actually live in South-East Asia btw.

Got in touch with KnifeKnut. Looks like I might have to part with my Emerson for a few weeks. It's like being away from the woman I love.

HHAHA cool I am glad you worked it out. I just emailed customs to see if I can import one without hassle....and save myself over 100 dollars. I will keep you posted as to how it goes.

Interesting on SE Asia - we are kind of next door to each other.
    Cheers,
    A

Edit - Well I just took the plunge and ordered my first Emerson Combat Karambit for a bunch cheaper. Thanks so much for your advice and help Jay. I better get moving and get those arm protectors made. Here you cannot even own a butterfly knife so I look forward to trying to spin until I can organise a proper teacher.

I am pretty happy about this...I have never owned an Emerson knife before and people say they are some of the best knives in the world.
    Last edited by Armalite Native; 05-10-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Knifeknut said he's not confident about sharpening an Emerson Karambit because he says it's a whole other ball game sharpening one. I totally agree. lol. He said I'd be better off sending it in to Emerson.

Hopefully your Emerson will get to you safely. Fingers crossed for you here mate.

You can send it to me if you want ? I live in Taiwan so the knife will have a shorter trip too.

If you are up for it send me a pic of the blade so we can sort out exactly what needs done.

Woo go Haze! I really hope the tip thing can get sorted. Yeah I am just checking on whether I can get insurance for postage. I will let you know how it feels when it arrives.

Cheers Haze, I'll take pics when I get a chance. I'm pooped!

OK, screw it, here are some pics...I've been drinking rum tonight...please excuse the dust on the blade. I pulled it out to take pics, so it's been riding around all day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jayinhk; 05-11-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhk View Post
    Cheers Haze, I'll take pics when I get a chance. I'm pooped!

OK, screw it, here are some pics...I've been drinking rum tonight...please excuse the dust on the blade. I pulled it out to take pics, so it's been riding around all day.
    Pfffft, you call that a broken tip ? when I was a lad ..................

That's a pretty easy fix, it's just a case of reprofiling the edge to take up the bit that's lost at the point.

You just have to send me the blade, I think this will make life easier for you getting it back too, if im not mistaken.

Send me a PM and we can bash out the grizzly details.

That's after extensive attempts (by me) to try and reprofile it without damaging the coating It was worse before. I use a large Hewlett JewelStik and the Spyderco Sharpmaker (medium/fine/ultrafine) rods to try and reshape the edge, but it's been hard work and it's not as sharp as I'd like it.

One issue that makes it really hard for me to sharpen this blade is that it's a left side grind: I'm left-handed. I suppose that makes it easier on a flat stone, but it makes it harder on rods. I suppose using a small diamond rod would work (I could hold the knife in my right and my rod in my left...LOL) but I don't have one.
    Last edited by jayinhk; 05-11-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Thread Information