Thread: 1095 vs. 1095 cro-van

1095 vs. 1095 cro-van

ADVERTISEMENT
    1095 vs. 1095 cro-van

Ka-Bar uses a version of 1095 steel called 1095 cro-van. This is the same as 1095 with the addition of chromium and vanadium. In theory, this should give the cro-van version an edge when it comes to wear resistance and edge holding (see Talmadge's article http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml), yet owners of Esee knives rave about their edge holding ability. Owners of Ka-Bar/Becker knives seem to prize their knives just as highly.

Has anyone here done an apples to apples comparison between similar products made by the two companies, ie between a Esee Izula and a Becker BK-11 or a RC-5 Sere and a BK-2.

Thanks,
    Bill McGrath

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=732966

here is a recent thread on the subject.

Well, I don't have any in similar sizes...but I do own and use an ESEE-3 and a Becker BK-7.

As far as edge holding, I haven't really done extensive tests, but I would put my money on either knife. I've used both in the woods, kitchen, you name it. The edges seem to hold very well in both knives from what I can tell. When I go out to the woods, I'm usually carrying both knives and a small axe because that's just what I like to bring.

Becker and ESEE both have excellent customer service, and I doubt you would be wronging yourself by purchasing from either company.

Is one version of 1095 better? I don't know, I'm not a metallurgist, but from my own use they both seem to be excellent knives that will hold an edge for quite awhile.

Kyle

I have four or five kabars, and maybe a couple ESEEs. I use the heck outta all of em. They all last me long enough until I can hit them on the sharpmaker again.

But hell, I could be wrong, I like my SS buck knives too.

Quote Originally Posted by tuhonbill View Post
    Has anyone here done an apples to apples comparison between similar products made by the two companies, ie between a Esee Izula and a Becker BK-11 or a RC-5 Sere and a BK-2.
    I have a BK-7 & a BK-9 so if someone would like to send me an RC-6 and a Junglas then I'll happily spend some time pla^h^h^h testing them.

I think that the CroVan may be better, but I would doubt that the difference would be much at all. ESEE 1095 with its good heat treat is likely to be so close in performance that it would be hard to tell the difference. But please don't let that stop anyone from sending me some ESEE knives to compare.

PS
    Also send me a Lite Machete, I don't have anything to compare it with, but send me one anyway.

Thread Information