Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 122

Thread: KA-BAR/Becker Warranty?

  1. #1

    KA-BAR/Becker Warranty?


    ADVERTISEMENT
    Alright I am considering a purchase of a BK9. I want it for a hard-use woods blade and will see lots of batoning and some hacking. I am curious, how good is the warranty on these blades? If I snap it while I am batting it, am I SOL? Or do they stand behind their blades enough to have it replaced?

  2. #2
    Ive never needed their warranty, but from what ive heard on the forums they're a stand-up company who back their products up. And the BK9 is a tough knife!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    809
    I have had experience with their warranty, and you will not find another knife company that backs their blades better than KA-BAR, period.

  4. #4
    But is it like ESEE/RAT where if I snap the blade trying to baton it, I can expect a replacement? I am not trying to start a brand v brand war, but I am curious just what kind of protection I can expect. Warranties generally cover only defects, and a person breaking their blade while using it like that generally isn't considered to be the fault of a defect. Right now it's between an ESEE Junglas and a BK9. The Junglas is twice as much, but I know that I only have to pay the price once...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by oguruma View Post
    But is it like ESEE/RAT where if I snap the blade trying to baton it, I can expect a replacement? I am not trying to start a brand v brand war, but I am curious just what kind of protection I can expect. Warranties generally cover only defects, and a person breaking their blade while using it like that generally isn't considered to be the fault of a defect. Right now it's between an ESEE Junglas and a BK9. The Junglas is twice as much, but I know that I only have to pay the price once...
    Ethan Becker considers batoning normal use. If the blade breaks while using a piece of wood as a baton, then — in every instance I've ever seen — they'll replace it. Notice that I said "using a piece of wood as a baton." Using steel hammers or hard rocks to baton is an entirely different — and very stupid — thing.

    Toooj at KA-BAR will want the blade back, of course, to try to determine why it failed.

    I wouldn't worry at all about the KA-BAR warranty: they'll take good care of you. Yes, the ESEE warranty is more explicitly stated, but in practice, the KA-BAR warranty on Beckers has been as good.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Monrovia, CA
    Posts
    1,157
    I'm glad this question was brought up as I have often wondered about this myself. Although the explicit warranty with ESEE is nice, I like knowing that others have had good experience with KA-BAR customer service.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Beckerhead #4
    Posts
    14,740
    Quote Originally Posted by sqoon View Post
    I'm glad this question was brought up as I have often wondered about this myself. Although the explicit warranty with ESEE is nice, I like knowing that others have had good experience with KA-BAR customer service.
    if one were to dig into the threads, looking for the word "break" perhaps... one will find some examples of broken blades, and afaik, they were ALL replaced. none were found to be abused. sometimes "stuff" happens.

    iirc, Becker/KaBar considers *proper* batoning to be normal use. note *proper* as mentioned earlier... if you try to baton through rocks or cement, or use a pipe, or rebar, or a hammer, or clamp the blade in a vise, or other "testing", that's abuse...

    personally, i wouldn't want to baton through certain kinds of evergreens or other woods with nasty knots. clean wood, clean times.

    i think "in the history" of Beckers and breaking...

    BK - Reinhardt - - a couple as victims to frozen Xmas trees
    BK1 - Brute - a couple older models, not Camillus ones
    BK2 - Campanion - none broken
    BK3 - TacTul / TacTool - one one, 650 pounds of gorillas :>
    BK4 - MacAx - maybe one
    BK5 - Magnum Camp - none
    BK6 - Patrol Machete - maybe one or two, also Xmas trees
    BK7 - Combat Utility 7 - one or two?
    BK77 - Combat 7 Extreme - none
    BK9 - Combat Bowie - maybe three or four
    BK10 - Crewman Utility - none
    BK11 - Necker - none
    BK11 - Necker SanMai - none
    BK13 - Mini Necker - none

    whee?


    Bladite

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,533
    i've beaten the heck out of my bk9. yes, even deliberately through iron wood knots knowing how hard they are and the bk9 kept asking for more! as long as the only thing involved aside from the bk9 is wood i have no doubt ka-bar will stand behind any failures.

    i have quite a number of knives from both ka-bar (ka-bar short tanto & becker bk2, bk9, bk11, 2xbk13) and esee (3, 4, 5, junglas, lite machete) so i'm not a fanboy (well, i'm a fanboy of both companies! aside from victorinox they're the only companies i buy from) but if you can swing the price, i'd highly recommend going with the junglas.

    if you're mainly doing small knife tasks (tasks that are usually suited to a 6" blade or so) and occasionally do chopping then by all means go for the bk9. but if you're chopping and hacking most of the time with the occasional feather sticks here and there then the junglas is better in my humble opinion. factor in the micarta handles and awesome kydex sheath (best sheath i've seen in any knife by far, period) and the price difference isn't that big.

    i posted a pictorial comparison between the two recently but in summary: the bk9 feels like a scaled up knife whereas the junglas feels like a scaled down machete in my humble opinion.

    i hope my becker brothers (and sisters?) won't shun me for this but the junglas is better for my uses imho.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Beckerhead #4
    Posts
    14,740
    Quote Originally Posted by JV3 View Post
    i've beaten the heck out of my bk9. yes, even deliberately through iron wood knots knowing how hard they are and the bk9 kept asking for more! as long as the only thing involved aside from the bk9 is wood i have no doubt ka-bar will stand behind any failures.

    i have quite a number of knives from both ka-bar (ka-bar short tanto & becker bk2, bk9, bk11, 2xbk13) and esee (3, 4, 5, junglas, lite machete) so i'm not a fanboy (well, i'm a fanboy of both companies! aside from victorinox they're the only companies i buy from) but if you can swing the price, i'd highly recommend going with the junglas.

    if you're mainly doing small knife tasks (tasks that are usually suited to a 6" blade or so) and occasionally do chopping then by all means go for the bk9. but if you're chopping and hacking most of the time with the occasional feather sticks here and there then the junglas is better in my humble opinion. factor in the micarta handles and awesome kydex sheath (best sheath i've seen in any knife by far, period) and the price difference isn't that big.

    i posted a pictorial comparison between the two recently but in summary: the bk9 feels like a scaled up knife whereas the junglas feels like a scaled down machete in my humble opinion.

    i hope my becker brothers (and sisters?) won't shun me for this but the junglas is better for my uses imho.
    what? no pictures?


    Bladite

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladite View Post
    what? no pictures?

    Bladite
    this is text book trick question. no worries. i won't tell ethan that you showed me pics of the tweeners. it'll just be between you and me...i promise! ...going back to my fetal position in a bit.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Beckerhead #4
    Posts
    14,740
    Quote Originally Posted by JV3 View Post
    this is text book trick question. no worries. i won't tell ethan that you showed me pics of the tweeners. it'll just be between you and me...i promise! ...going back to my fetal position in a bit.
    i'm just not supposed to SELL them


    Bladite

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rainville,Oregon
    Posts
    4,151
    becker and ESEE,my two favorites as well !

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    201
    ditto grim 62

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    From Brooklyn, N.Y.
    Posts
    30
    Blog Entries
    1
    Well its time to put Kabar to the test. I'm sending in my BK9 that had broken in half due to a slight fall on to my kitchen floor from the table yes you heard correctly. I will keep you posted on how good kabar's warranty is.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Old North State Clinging to the Cross
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by specwar6 View Post
    Well its time to put Kabar to the test. I'm sending in my BK9 that had broken in half due to a slight fall on to my kitchen floor from the table yes you heard correctly. I will keep you posted on how good kabar's warranty is.
    How about keeping us posted on a new thread. This one's almost two years old. Oh yeah, pics or it didn't happen.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Just south of Chicago. Beckerhead#173
    Posts
    2,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooly Bugger View Post
    Oh yeah, pics or it didn't happen.
    What he said.



    Quote Originally Posted by DJG097 View Post
    What kind of A-hole quotes himself?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Barlow bottoms
    Posts
    7,621
    Welcome to the forum. Hate to see your first post is about such bad luck. After you get that straightened out be sure to stick around and enjoy the place.
    I think I saw a broken BK9 on the auction site for five bucks here recently. Don't know how it happened or where it wound up....
    Beckerhead 65


    "The open air, the preparation of food, the tending of the fire - these are the great soothers." Dr. Harry Roberts, The Tramps Handbook, 1903

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coquitlam, British Columbia
    Posts
    953
    Musta had some hard ass floors and tall as sh*t tables, granite? marble? While I'm not saying it DIDN'T happen, just saying that I've watched guys TRY to break these knives, I mean chop through cinder blocks, cut through nails, pry open bank vaults...stuff most knives simply could not even attempt. To say that a BK9, fell from your kitchen counter, and broke in half on the floor is kind of like saying "I drove a brand new BMW off the lot, and the bumpers fell off when I went over the curb".

    Pics or it did not happen. We know how to deal with trolls around here too, ever heard of the Barlow Pretzel?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    BH #58 in WV
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by specwar6 View Post
    Well its time to put Kabar to the test. I'm sending in my BK9 that had broken in half due to a slight fall on to my kitchen floor from the table yes you heard correctly. I will keep you posted on how good kabar's warranty is.
    I want to get in with the first Bravo Sierra. Straight drop from 30" to an indoor floor and a BK9 broke in half. And that's your first post....

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Old North State Clinging to the Cross
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by tradewater View Post
    I think I saw a broken BK9 on the auction site for five bucks
    You did indeed, I saw it too. We'll see.................or will we?

    PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS!

    pitchforks-torches-mob.jpg

    otherwise, I'm calling it.

    bs card.jpg

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •