Page 146 of 365 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196246 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 7300

Thread: "Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by knarfeng View Post
    Thanks for the fun read.
    You're very welcome Frank. I'm off to the old coal-mining town of Barnsley later in the week. I go to these places so you don't have to!

Jack,
    thank for the amusing read. Looking forward to discovering more stories about Barnsley and its mines

Fausto

Quote Originally Posted by quattromori View Post
    Jack,
    thank for the amusing read. Looking forward to discovering more stories about Barnsley and its mines

Fausto
    Thanks Fausto, I'm afraid the mines are all but gone now, but I'm hoping to find some old slipjoints in the flea-market there

Jack

Nice looking place that Knaresborough. Makes me want to have a decent cup of 'Yorkshire Gold'....

Quote Originally Posted by willgoy View Post
    Nice looking place that Knaresborough. Makes me want to have a decent cup of 'Yorkshire Gold'....
    Yes, it's a pretty town. Seem to have lost my pics from previous visits somewhere or I'd post more.

I was there one time in the Winter, there was snow on the ground and the river was running fast and high. Then, down the middle of it came a middle-aged guy standing on a surf board with a pole or oar of some kind, he was just dressed in normal clothes and looked completely calm and relaxed. It was quite a sight, and I have to say I thought the guy was crazy.

Later, I was sat drinking coffee at a small cafe next to the river when the same guy strolled along and spoke to the people at the next table about what he'd been doing. He was American, and said he'd seen a TV programme where some indians in the Amazon were doing something similar and thought he'd give it a try! He picked the coldest day of the year to do it! I'm glad he didn't fall in

Jack, thanks for the read ... I´m curious about the town-crier ... The town reminds me to old medival towns in Bavaria/Germany... for example Burghausen (you can search at Aunt Wiki(pedia)´s site ) Though they don´t have a town-crier there. However ... I´m sure it was a great day and quiete funny too.
    You can call me Pappa Andi!
    Nun war dieser brave Lehrer, Von dem Tobak ein Verehrer, Was man ohne alle Frage, Nach des Tages Müh und Plage, Einem guten, alten Mann, Auch von Herzen gönnen kann.
    (Wilhelm Busch, german author, 1832 - 1908)

Yes Andi, I'll have to post up some pictures of York sometime, I think you'd find it even more similar.

Shame I didn't get a pint!

I was over in Barnsley this week, far less pretty, but with a better market. I'll try to write that up later

Jack

Just posted some recent pics of the Yorkshire Jungle here if anyone cares to take a look: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...7#post11454407

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
    Just posted some recent pics of the Yorkshire Jungle here if anyone cares to take a look: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...7#post11454407
    Nice pics, a lot of water around there, and seems quite accessible too.

Quote Originally Posted by jacktrades_nbk View Post
    Nice pics, a lot of water around there, and seems quite accessible too.
    Thanks Yes, this country certainly has plenty of rain! Here's a picture of York, taken at the same time

No gondolas around ? Just kiddin'

Quote Originally Posted by jacktrades_nbk View Post
    No gondolas around ? Just kiddin'

Hm... Venice in good ol' England... Eating Fish&Chips during gondoling, a nice imagination
    You can call me Pappa Andi!
    Nun war dieser brave Lehrer, Von dem Tobak ein Verehrer, Was man ohne alle Frage, Nach des Tages Müh und Plage, Einem guten, alten Mann, Auch von Herzen gönnen kann.
    (Wilhelm Busch, german author, 1832 - 1908)

Guess you weren't kidding D: Nice pics

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    Sometimes you need a good friend to smack you upside the head and tell you you are gonna be alright. After what has happened in the past couple months, you wouldn't think a small setback like this would make you mad. Recovering from my accident, and my granny falling down the steps last week, the hurricane, I was really looking forward to making it down the shore today for some rest and relaxation. Fishing and hiking on Assateague and Chincoteague.

On the way home last night, getting off the interstate, my battery warning light came on, the normal 14 volts dropped down to about 12, and slowly made it's way down. I was able to make my way to a school a couple miles down the road, before she died. I was close to home, and thank God for little brothers, mine was able to come and get me and my battery. More than repaid me all the times taking him all over. We went back about 230 this morning with a fresh battery, and not a mile down the road, the gauge went from about 15 volts down to about 12. With almost dim lights and the truck shaking like crazy, I was able to nurse her home. Took advantage of my day off, and called around for prices on an alternator. Found one, but wasn't able to get the alternator off my 2003 Silverado, and my father picked it up. We will mess with it tomorrow morning, but he doesn't have wheels, the master cylinder went up on his 88 Nissan pickup.

I had heard what I thought was the pulley going, the belt is in great shape, was on all of the loops. Well, after the battery went dead on me, and I got it running this am and then again this afternoon, I didn't hear the squealing. Maybe the bearing in the alternator. I admit I know how to change the oil, the brakes, the air filter and change out a battery. I can rip them apart, but just try to get me to put them back together.

I was going to lament all of the computer codes and sensors etc in the new trucks. This Silverado is the newest vehicle I've ever owned. I will say that I am glad this didn't happen to me on the way down the ocean. I am even more glad I wasn't on the MD shore when this happened in the midst of Hurricane Sandy. And, to top that off, I'm glad it didn't die on me while on the interstate, because it would not have felt too good getting creamed by a semi.

I am more than a little bummed, but I am glad that I was able to find a good price on an alternator, brand new cheaper than a remanufactured one, with a three year warranty. Spending part of my vacation money on it, probably not going down the ocean this year, but my little brother came and got me, and my father and I will replace the alternator tomorrow. It's nowhere near as bad of a job as replacing my alternator on my 85 Toyota P/u.

Going to get the alt switched out, then run up to Advance Auto and get the battery and alt tested in their lot. See if I have to buy a new battery.

So many people have been affected by Sandy on the east coast, I feel like a small child complaining about this. What is eerie is that my truck came to a stop at the school almost right next to where I was in my accident back in July.

I took these two pictures about a week apart. The park, which is on the right of the first photo was completely underwater on the second occasion I was there, and in fact the canoeist paddled across it! The water had actually been receding for a few days by that point. Still, it's only the yuppies who live alongside the river!

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    Talk about the waterfront!

Quote Originally Posted by silenthunterstudios View Post
    ..my truck came to a stop at the school almost right next to where I was in my accident back in July.
    Maybe coincidence, maybe nothing, or just a reminder for being lucky to be around. I don't know. Anyway, good times can't be far. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by silenthunterstudios View Post
    Sometimes you need a good friend to smack you upside the head and tell you you are gonna be alright. After what has happened in the past couple months, you wouldn't think a small setback like this would make you mad. Recovering from my accident, and my granny falling down the steps last week, the hurricane, I was really looking forward to making it down the shore today for some rest and relaxation. Fishing and hiking on Assateague and Chincoteague.

On the way home last night, getting off the interstate, my battery warning light came on, the normal 14 volts dropped down to about 12, and slowly made it's way down. I was able to make my way to a school a couple miles down the road, before she died. I was close to home, and thank God for little brothers, mine was able to come and get me and my battery. More than repaid me all the times taking him all over. We went back about 230 this morning with a fresh battery, and not a mile down the road, the gauge went from about 15 volts down to about 12. With almost dim lights and the truck shaking like crazy, I was able to nurse her home. Took advantage of my day off, and called around for prices on an alternator. Found one, but wasn't able to get the alternator off my 2003 Silverado, and my father picked it up. We will mess with it tomorrow morning, but he doesn't have wheels, the master cylinder went up on his 88 Nissan pickup.

I had heard what I thought was the pulley going, the belt is in great shape, was on all of the loops. Well, after the battery went dead on me, and I got it running this am and then again this afternoon, I didn't hear the squealing. Maybe the bearing in the alternator. I admit I know how to change the oil, the brakes, the air filter and change out a battery. I can rip them apart, but just try to get me to put them back together.

I was going to lament all of the computer codes and sensors etc in the new trucks. This Silverado is the newest vehicle I've ever owned. I will say that I am glad this didn't happen to me on the way down the ocean. I am even more glad I wasn't on the MD shore when this happened in the midst of Hurricane Sandy. And, to top that off, I'm glad it didn't die on me while on the interstate, because it would not have felt too good getting creamed by a semi.

I am more than a little bummed, but I am glad that I was able to find a good price on an alternator, brand new cheaper than a remanufactured one, with a three year warranty. Spending part of my vacation money on it, probably not going down the ocean this year, but my little brother came and got me, and my father and I will replace the alternator tomorrow. It's nowhere near as bad of a job as replacing my alternator on my 85 Toyota P/u.

Going to get the alt switched out, then run up to Advance Auto and get the battery and alt tested in their lot. See if I have to buy a new battery.

So many people have been affected by Sandy on the east coast, I feel like a small child complaining about this. What is eerie is that my truck came to a stop at the school almost right next to where I was in my accident back in July.
    Hope you get it fixed and that things begin to look up. Have a good weekend

Just listening to a radio programme with some interviews with some great old soldiers who were stationed here in Britain as GIs during WW2, very moving in parts, hilarious in others. One old feller recounted one of his first sights was a billboard bearing the legend: "If you feel knocked-up in the morning drink Ovaltine [a malted milk drink] before you go to bed!"

Page 146 of 365 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196246 ... LastLast

Thread Information