Page 63 of 328 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 6553

Thread: "Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

One leg up on Gus' short bus in Bastidville.

ADVERTISEMENT
    We are leaving out one thing.
    The thinner blade profile of a slipjoint just plain flat out cuts better and easier than a thicker knife. (Period end of sentence.)
    "There is no further education to be gained by the second kick of a mule".

Please read the Forums rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastid View Post
    We are leaving out one thing.
    The thinner blade profile of a slipjoint just plain flat out cuts better and easier than a thicker knife. (Period end of sentence.)
    True dat, Man-who-stares-at-goats.

And another important note and my bad for not pointing it out clearly...the liner locks that the guy was talking about in the article are not the slip-joint-liner-lock hybrids that have been pointed out so far. He was talking about modern liner locks, sans back-spring, mall ninja weaponry.

Quote Originally Posted by jackknife View Post
    My God, you're serious? I can only presume that he never knew his father, and was raised by a maiden Aunt to be veeeery careful in life.

Carl.
    I don't make this stuff up. It's sad (on many levels) but true.

Kerry,I have come to realize that when you post of these ignorant things you see publicized,it upsets you possibly moreso than the next knife guy,because of your passion for the knives you love & build. I mean that in the best way & I might not express it properly. It's a good thing & people will respect it.
    But its the ignorance that blinds them to write stuff that they pretty much are clueless about.
    On a side note & not exactly the topic,these mall ninja Mo Mo's & some knifemakers themselves,thier boasting of "tactical" knives & tactical applications,will eventually lead to laws being made to outlaw thier product.
    I feel sorry for someone so stupid. They will put themselves out of business & take every knife maker & Co. with them.
    -Vince
    Last edited by VCM3; 04-28-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Add stuff
    Coming soon , Tony Bose / NKCA swaybacks :
    http://www.vcmcustomknives.com/current-project.html

Please visit my website :
    http://www.vcmcustomknives.com

For those of us who do not subscribe to Blade, is there perhaps a scan or PDF of the offending article?

James

Quote Originally Posted by JAlexander View Post
    For those of us who do not subscribe to Blade, is there perhaps a scan or PDF of the offending article?

James
    That would infringe on their copyright, I believe.

In the interests of pure research, infringe away, Kerry!!
    As long as you are not intending to use it to make a profit, I believe it is fair comment to quote the article, in whole or in part!!
    Shall we have a 2014 Bladeforums knife?

Perchance in Stag??

ok more bad news today. Well I sold knives, guns ect to pay for the fuel pump, filter, and lines. When I go to pay and pick it up I notice the trac line is still on. My car won't accept gas if trac off so I go back in and they hook it back up. Well now the darn computer has crashed. So I'm awaiting an estimate to fix that now.
    ~Ash~
    For Sale Click American Monkey Fist
    Rule to live by: Treat others as you wish to be treated.
    Click to get your own Gorilla Fist today

On page 80 of the July 2011 issue of Blade mag. , the author says:

Lake compared the impact of the linerLock on the knife industry to that of the classic Colt Model 1911 pistol on the firearms market. "There are people who either popularized or invented something." He commented, "but if you look at the body of Michael Walker's work, I don't know how many millions of LinerLocks have been made. Knives will never go back. You won't see a slip-joint tactical knife. The LinerLock is simple and stronger than a slip joint. A slip joint is a liability every time you use it."

Clearly there's no question that linerlocks work for what they are intended and you sure can stab people with them real good but, to say that slip joints are a liability is uncool and kinda goofy.

The guy even quoted A.G. in the article. I like what he said:

"Making the traditional slip-joint pocketknife requires skill, and making a LinerLock requires very little skill unless you are going to do a fantastic job. There are sincere people that don't see it as an innovation, and then there are people who can't stand to see anybody get credit for anything."

Hey...it's a good article and I recon more people will want to pick up a copy now that I have given a teaser. Oh geeesh...I just accidently dropped this dang mag on the scanner....OOOPS!

A slipjoint is only a liability if you find yourself in a knife fight. If I was going somewhere I thought I even had the possibility of getting into a knife fight, I would carry a gun.

For 99% + of all uses for a carry knife, a slipjoint works just as well if not better than an overbuilt tank of a tacticool locker.

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    A slipjoint is only a liability if you find yourself in a knife fight. If I was going somewhere I thought I even had the possibility of getting into a knife fight, I would carry a gun.

For 99% + of all uses for a carry knife, a slipjoint works just as well if not better than an overbuilt tank of a tacticool locker.
    If I thought there was the slightest possibility I was going to get in a knife fight, I'm catching the first plane to Key West and sit in Sloppy Joe's and have a cold Corona till the possibility is past. Maybe catch a tarpon before I come back.

Carl.

As the Rebel without a cause said, "...only punks fight with knives". I've had a little luck with my fists when forced over the years, but much more with words.

If I thought there was the slightest possibility I was going to get in a knife fight, I'm catching the first plane to Key West and sit in Sloppy Joe's and have a cold Corona till the possibility is past. Maybe catch a tarpon before I come back.

Carl.
    Hey Carl,look me up,I wanna go,too
    -Vince
    Coming soon , Tony Bose / NKCA swaybacks :
    http://www.vcmcustomknives.com/current-project.html

Please visit my website :
    http://www.vcmcustomknives.com

Well its been over 10 years since I last wore them, but I'm back wearing reading glasses! the headaches from over straining my eyes got annoying.

As for the whole folder debate, I'd rather carry a well made slipjoint over any fancy lock, cold, lifeless modern folder out there...they have their place, and i do use them occasionally but to me it was a fad I went through. Wont dispute the makers out there are doing some great work with those locks, but they just dont have the soul of a good old fashioned slipjoint (much like watches, you can have everything under the sun in it but I'll take my old pocket watch any day).

I dont get into the self defense side of things, there is prac tac for that and it gives me a headache going in that sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post

I completely agree. Mr. Lake's comments about slip joints in the article Kerry referenced are indeed odd. Was he saying if you use a slip joint knife you're eventually going to have it fold on you and injure yourself? Would that be the knife's fault or the user's?

Quote Originally Posted by morrowj_98 View Post
    Would that be the knife's fault or the user's?
    Stupidity knows no bounds in my experience

Not to intentionally double post but I figured some of you guys would really appreciate this:

http://www.cracktwo.com/2011/04/amaz...mes-to_28.html

I've spent over an hour just taking in these pics, such an amazing photographer to go unknown until after her death.

Robert.B,

Thanks for the photos. I love the kids behind their stone fort.

Mike H.

Carl.
    Amen.
    As far as cutting goes...
    A few of years ago I bought a bunch of reloading equipment from a friend. I brought it all home in a big plastic bin that was pretty beat up and I didn't wanna keep. After unloading everything, I grabbed the logical ( ) big tough one-hander in my rfp and started cutting... a tiny bit at a time, and with a lot of effort. After getting through a couple of inches with a lot of effort with this big tough folder, I put it back and grabbed the tiny little CASE pen knife I had along that day, and proceeded to take that box apart like it was made with a zipper. About a minute later it was in several pieces in my trash can. That was one of the tougher jobs I've asked of a folder, and that tiny pen blade did the job with ease and safety, while that big tough blade was fighting it, and made me question my sanity at attempting the job with it. That was quite a tough job for a folder, but the safer, easier way was with a small slip joint with no lock.
    Ya know- I think I remember lots of stories about old timers fighting with slip joints. A buddy of mine tells me his grandfather and uncle always carried a big jack, and were known to fight with them. Haven't I heard stories of guys wedging a piece of a tooth pick under the kick so the tip would snag the pants on the way out, opening the blade? I'm pretty sure that would have been for the purposes of fighting, right?
    I've said many times, "Don't discount anything." A knife doesn't need a lock to cut.

Quote Originally Posted by reader1 View Post
    Robert.B,

Thanks for the photos. I love the kids behind their stone fort.

Mike H.
    I think my fav would be the overview street scene showing the old train platforms and the old man a few pictures from the top...showing a wrinkled old face that speaks the kind of life that person led to me is pure art.

I'm an amateur photographer and she is a real inspiration for me to look more deeply into my images and selected material.

Page 63 of 328 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

Thread Information