Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About Yourself

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by wackafew View Post
    I would like to show you a picture of myself and tell you about my life but I can't right now. I'm a undercover 007 secret agent in the USA tracking Russian spies who may be trying to steal knife secrets from the USA and some of their custom knife makers. Now lets see.... where was I..... I think I need another beer.
    Thanks for your service. Get 'em dood!

I need another one too!

Get ready for a bumpy ride through my short life story :P

I'm 22 years old and engaged to a my beautiful redhead girlfriend, whom I have been with for about 3.5 years. I grew up in Central Illinois in a tiny little town about half an hour from Peoria where my dad worked as a Master Toolmaker for that big yellow off-road vehicle company.

My first "job" was fixing the computers at my High School when I was 15, followed by a real, paying job at a local computer repair shop when I was 16

Then I worked at the big yellow off-road vehicle company setting up the computers for the division of big yellow off-road vehicles with tank treads on them until I was 18

Then I went across the street to install servers for the division of big yellow off-road vehicles for computer stuff until they laid me off

Then I was a Customer Service Help Desk Representative (Team Lead, actually, I just didn't get the title or the pay) for a spin-off company of the BYORV company that supports a lot of their shop equipment

Then I moved to one of the IT Help Desks for that company

Then I got a job on an IT Help Desk out here in AZ and picked up all my stuff and moved out of my parents house at the age of 19 to live 1600 miles away with my girlfriend. And that, my friends, leads me to now.

After moving out here I went and learned a little bit about bladesmithing from Tai Goo down in Tucson (Google him if you don't know who he is--he does amazing work) and then I needed a sheath for the knife he helped me make. Now I'm still fixing broken computers in AZ, but I also make leather stuff

Quote Originally Posted by NoahL View Post
    I needed a sheath for the knife he helped me make. Now I'm still fixing broken computers in AZ, but I also make leather stuff
    Whatever you do to pay the bills, you definitely need to stay with the leather work because you have talent.

I'll chime in with all the bio that's fit to print.

I live in Ontario and split my time between Ottawa and Toronto. I am a criminologist, and my research and teaching is geared towards intelligence, surveillance and national security issues, as well as research methods. My work requires a fair bit of travel, and I'm used to living out of backpacks. My spare time is spent in the woods or on a lake, and I have been doing some knifemaking on the side for a few years now. For me, a nice cup of coffee brewed over a campfire after a morning of snowshoeing is pretty close to ideal. Mind you, there's something to be said for an evening at a decent pub and a few pints of local microbrew. I have a yellow lab named Ruby who, despite getting on in years, remains a perpetually enthusiastic hiking companion. No kids. Married once. I have a terrific girlfriend who is an avid outdoors enthusiast and appreciator of fine knives.

Oh yes, and I'm a big fan of JK knives. John scores a hat-trick of awesome customer service, terrific craftsmanship and design customizability.

All the best,

- Mike

I'm Steve. 44, divorced, 2 teenaged sons 18 & 16. Work for Verizon selling phones. Used to teach martial arts, college degree in education. How the heck I ended schlepping cell phones is a mystery. I would Love to be a criminologist!!! Studied some law enforcement back in the 80s but didn't want to be a LEO.
    Spent a lot of time in the woods as a young man, not nearly as much as I'd like these days. I walk and hike a fair bit, usually on established suburban trails. Need to get out camping more often. Big movie buff, enjoy reading, watching documentaries, and adding to my many tattoos.
    JK knives are excellent!
    Someday is today. Make your life count; don't just count the days.
    Proud Supporter of JK knives #2

A lot of your jobs sure make mine sound boring!

My avatar is my Grandaughter, Hanna, who is battling leukemia.

R.I.P udtjim - One Of The Good Guys

Visit My Web Store
    http://www.jkhandmadeknives.com/apps/webstore/

Visit My Forum In The Makers Section
    http://jkhandmadeknives.com/
    jkiedaisch@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by mrbear View Post
    Whatever you do to pay the bills, you definitely need to stay with the leather work because you have talent.
    I agree!

Visit My Web Store

jkiedaisch@sbcglobal.net

I'm Mack (or Mike if you insist on being persnickety), I'm 46, grew up in SoCal but moved to Oregon twenty years ago.
    I worked in a paper mill for eight years doing every production job at one time or another in addition to working with the electricians and programming/maintaining the computer system.
    I now own and drive a truck and basically live on the road. Home is a beautiful spot on the Alsea River in Oregon but getting there can be a challenge while trying to make a living.
    When I am home, I'm fishing, hunting, hiking or playing golf.
    One of the nice things about my life is the chance to meet people. I met Spark when I was stuck in Louisville last year, I met John in March and I played golf with CJ65 this past Monday in SoCal.
    Rest in peace Bill. Yol Bolsun! May there be a road and may you find peace along it.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

Hey Guys,

I'm Brandon, 27 years old. I just celebrated my five year wedding anniversary with my wonderful wife Melissa. My daughter Audrey Grace will be 16 months old on the 19th of this month. Without saying any more, I can tell you that these girls make me the luckiest SOB in here!

I'm a soil conservationist with the USDA-Natural Resource Conservation Service out of Gassaway WV. Our agency primarily does conservation work with private land owners. I really enjoy my job! I graduated from WVU with a degree in Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences in 2004 and have been with the USDA ever since.

I've always been captivated by all things outdoors and knives are no exception. I think I bought my first slip joint knife when I was 5! And just this year I bought my first custom knife from John. I'll agree 100% with Mentor that John delivers on preformance, custom designs, and customer service. I look forward to adding more JKs in the future!

Brandon

That is a good looking fam you have, Brandon. And nice knife!
    Someday is today. Make your life count; don't just count the days.
    Proud Supporter of JK knives #2

Thanks man, I'm sure proud of them!

Ok guys....I'm 34yrs old , I've been a coal miner for almost 5yrs now & before that I worked for a small supply company selling & Delivering HVAC, Plumbing, & Electriacl supplies, at Night I worked a 2nd job as an Electrician's App. I am married & have twin boys age 6. I live in South East Kentucky & love Camping,Hiking,Fishing...anything outdoors ! I love Archery & like to ride ATV's & play PaintBall
    Me /Archery
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The Boys -
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Me/Coalmines
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The wife & me -
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
    I'll chime in with all the bio that's fit to print.

I live in Ontario and split my time between Ottawa and Toronto. I am a criminologist, and my research and teaching is geared towards intelligence, surveillance and national security issues, as well as research methods.

"It was a night out they would not soon forget!"

Where to start? I am Mat (yes with one T). I live just north of Springfield IL with my wife Chrissy and my son Lane. I spent the first 18 years of my life growing up on a farm. Being outdoors has always been something that I love. Fishing is about my favorite thing to do when I get a chance to get out of the house. I was a truck driver for about 5 years, with about 3 of those being an OTR driver. If it were not for my son I would still be doing this as I loved it. My dad is also a truck driver since selling the farm.
    Now I am a CAD Tech at a local Engineering firm. I love my job. Not only are the guys I work with great but I also get to do some surveying as well. Another plus is on my lunch hours I can draw up different knife designs, I mean what a great way to use a program that does 3D drawings to scale.

Hi,
    My name is Ron. I'm 43 and I have been married for 15 years to my wonderful wife who puts up with me. I have two beautiful daughters 22 and 11 years old and a wonderful 14 year old son. I also have a 4 year old grand daughter. I was born in New Orleans to a LEO / Gun shop owner and a house wife. I have lived in this area all but 5 years of my life when I lived in Dallas.
    I find it very interesting how many of us have worked for the Big Yellow Equipment guys. I started my career 24 years ago with the local CAT dealer and have worked in the industry every since. I currently sell John Deere construction equipment in the NOLA area. Not green tractors but dozers, excavators, loaders and the sort the yellow stuff. In my spare time I love to fish. I love both salt and fresh water. I love coastal life. I also enjoy hunting and hiking in the woods. Yes like you all I am a knife addict. Growing up in a gun shop / gun show environment I have grown up a gun and knife guy. In the past year or so the knife bug has bitten me very hard and become a big part of me. Don't know why? It could be because I found this site. I really didn't know there where this many of us out here. Anyway this is who I am.

Bringing this back up for newer members. Don`t be shy!

Visit My Web Store

jkiedaisch@sbcglobal.net

Hey guys, my names chris. I've been competing in archery since i was about 9 or 10, i'm 22 now. I mainly hit 3d shoots, but do some shooting with my friends for bragging rights. I got my hunting license at age 11 (ct law allows 11+ for hunting) for archery and enjoy the outdoors. I fish more than i sleep, shoot the airgun once in a while too, i used to be competitive with the airgun also. I try and get all the people around me involved in the outdoors. I have a wonderful girlfriend i have whom ive converted from girly girl to outdoors girly girl, she doesn't complain except when she sweats, haha. I love technology, went to college for information technology. I like fixing computers, both in hardware and software, been doing that since i was about 13, do house calls. I hack portable devices to make them more customizeable. I like communications such as CB's and walkie talkies, stuff like that. Working with my hands is something i like doing, i can never sit down for more than 5 minutes. I visit the forums tons of times a day when i'm not doing anything. I have more knives than i need probably, but it's fun to go through my knife boxes and find ones i haven't thought of forever, whether they're retired from use or sentimental. I love learning and take any opportunity to read. Jobless right now, finding a job in CT is hard! I'm a bike mechanic, this was a full time job for me for a long while, been fixing bikes since my parents told me i had to pay for my own bike repairs haha. But thats how i learned bikes, motorcycles, computers and such. I love motorcycles as you can see by my user name. Taking old things and making them work or look like new is a hobby of mine. I'm addicted to victorinox swiss army knives. I have a pet python named hermes, shes pretty awesome. Photography is a favorite of mine, i think my work sucks and others ask if they can use it, so who knows! I think as i grew up i aquired the skills of family members around me, i have a very talented family. My grandfather has been a mechanic since his late teens, he is now in his 70's. He's very wise and i enjoy having intelligent conversations with him, he shares most of the interests i do. One of my uncles is a carpenter, hes pretty cool and is funny. My other uncle is a photographer, and him and i seem to be one in the same, it's kind of weird. My dad has done every job in the book and taught me a lot when i was younger, he's part of who i am today. My mom is a hairdresser and dental assistant. I guess you could say i'm proud of my family! My grandmother has been one to support me in both decisions and financially, if i needed it.

Hi guys, I'm Jack. Grew up in Brooklyn, N.Y., married and moved to central N.J. at 23, had 2 sons who are now 31 and 29, moved to Arizona in '82, divorced in '90, started partying in the Philippines with a couple buddies off and on for the next 12 years [you could say I was sowing my wild oats, part II], met 2nd wife there, brought her here, now have 3rd son who is currently 6 and who I also have full custody of [yep, another divorce].
    Started hunting with a longbow in my 20's and in Az I expanded that to muzzle loaders, handguns, rifle and quail with a Winchester 23 SxS 12 ga. I have taken whitetail, Coues deer, mule deer, javelina, elk, and one black bear.
    My line of work is stationary engineer/power plant operator which I started in Jersey and continued for another 27 years in Az but with the economy causing cutbacks, I got laid off late in 2009. Not finding any suitable employment, I sold my house in Scottsdale and drove back to the east where I'm staying with family and taking on odd jobs until something clicks. I have a lot of resumes out there and a lot of friends in the industry back in Az so hopefully something will happen soon.
    As far as knives I've had many Bucks, Pumas, Benchmade but a few years ago started supporting the custom makers. I have a couple Doziers, a Nathan House and this [in September] will be my first JK.
    As far as looking for ex-wife #3 - I don't think so. Life seems so much easier as a whore, I think I'll stay one.
    Nice to meet all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    Hey guys, my names chris. I've been competing in archery since i was about 9 or 10, i'm 22 now. I mainly hit 3d shoots, but do some shooting with my friends for bragging rights. I got my hunting license at age 11 (ct law allows 11+ for hunting) for archery and enjoy the outdoors. I fish more than i sleep, shoot the airgun once in a while too, i used to be competitive with the airgun also. I try and get all the people around me involved in the outdoors. I have a wonderful girlfriend i have whom ive converted from girly girl to outdoors girly girl, she doesn't complain except when she sweats, haha. I love technology, went to college for information technology. I like fixing computers, both in hardware and software, been doing that since i was about 13, do house calls. I hack portable devices to make them more customizeable. I like communications such as CB's and walkie talkies, stuff like that. Working with my hands is something i like doing, i can never sit down for more than 5 minutes. I visit the forums tons of times a day when i'm not doing anything. I have more knives than i need probably, but it's fun to go through my knife boxes and find ones i haven't thought of forever, whether they're retired from use or sentimental. I love learning and take any opportunity to read. Jobless right now, finding a job in CT is hard! I'm a bike mechanic, this was a full time job for me for a long while, been fixing bikes since my parents told me i had to pay for my own bike repairs haha. But thats how i learned bikes, motorcycles, computers and such. I love motorcycles as you can see by my user name. Taking old things and making them work or look like new is a hobby of mine. I'm addicted to victorinox swiss army knives. I have a pet python named hermes, shes pretty awesome. Photography is a favorite of mine, i think my work sucks and others ask if they can use it, so who knows! I think as i grew up i aquired the skills of family members around me, i have a very talented family. My grandfather has been a mechanic since his late teens, he is now in his 70's. He's very wise and i enjoy having intelligent conversations with him, he shares most of the interests i do. One of my uncles is a carpenter, hes pretty cool and is funny. My other uncle is a photographer, and him and i seem to be one in the same, it's kind of weird. My dad has done every job in the book and taught me a lot when i was younger, he's part of who i am today. My mom is a hairdresser and dental assistant. I guess you could say i'm proud of my family! My grandmother has been one to support me in both decisions and financially, if i needed it.
    When I got my first bow I went to a local(Idaho Falls ID) archery store for supplies. The owner and I hit it off pretty well and he offered to teach me to shoot. I of course took him up on it and ended up getting pretty good. Having 11 time world champion Dee Wilde teach me didn't hurt a bit.
    Rest in peace Bill. Yol Bolsun! May there be a road and may you find peace along it.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

Hi, my name is Caleb, im 21 years old and i live in calgary alberta. I was recently married to my lovely wife jarett.

I currently work as a carpenter/finisher for a local concrete company. While i do love my job and spending everyday working outside, i am saving up so i can go to school next year for water and resource management courses. Hopefully it will give me more secure employment and a chance to one day work in 3rd world countries training people and helping to provide poor areas with safe and clean fresh water

I love to spend my spare time in the outdoors and with my wife and family(both church and actual family) and hope to go visit my brother in the phillipines later this year and meet his wife and new born baby

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information