Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S30V vs. Sandvik 14C28N

S30V vs. Sandvik 14C28N

ADVERTISEMENT
    Which is "better" or "more exotic"?

I ask because the new batch of MT LUDT are now in Sandvik 14C28N, they were in S30V in the batch produced 6 month ago. Is this considered a down-grade?

Better is user subjective. I thought 14c28n was exclusive to Kershaw? Either way, the steel snobs will say it's a downgrade, while users won't care.

Blog Entries
    CPM-S30V is great steel, it has become the staple material used in several knives (Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT). The 14c28n steel is basically an entry level steel used by Kershaw (Think Chive, Scallion, Leek) althought the knives do come in higher end steels. Yes, I am a steel snob

I know this is going to be ironic but I prefer 14c28n to s30v. I like the fine edge it takes and holds. You can keep a hairpopping edge almost indefinitely if you strop after use, where as s30v you cut up some cardboard and go to strop and the edge isn't hairpopping again. That's been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RevDevil View Post
    CPM-S30V is great steel, it has become the staple material used in several knives (Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT). The 14c28n steel is basically an entry level steel used by Kershaw (Think Chive, Scallion, Leek) althought the knives do come in higher end steels. Yes, I am a steel snob

I think you are confusing it with the 13c26.

and here is the MT LUDT that's using the steel, it's actaully $30 more than the S30V version:
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--Microte...utomatic--6169

from what I have searched, this steel is quite new (2 years).

Heh.....

From what I've heard 14c28 can be hardened higher than 13c26. I have heard it's like vg10 but possibly better(edge retention) due to the higher hrc. It was designed as a upgrade to 13c26 and iirc was designed exclusively for knife blades by kershaw collaborating with sandvik. Don't quote me on that but I'm pretty sure that's the deal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IGotStabbed View Post
    I think you are confusing it with the 13c26.
    Indeed, I went slightly off track. I had just finished handling an older Chive when I replied. Hehe!
    From what I have read on here 14C28N is what ended up replacing the 13c26 steel. I cannot speak to the intricate differences, but the 14C28N steel holds a great edge and is easier to sharpen than S30V. It takes a great edge in fact and it holds the edge for a decent amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas W View Post
    Heh.....
    Hello Thomas. Was I correct about 14c28n? If anyone knows it would be you. Hahah.

I'll take 14C28N over S30V every day of the week.

I'm definitely a steel snob.

That said, I like the 14c. It takes a very nice edge for light-medium work. The only stainless that I think outperforms 14c at what it's good at, is CPM 154.

If you want a very sharp edge, and you don't mind keeping it sharp, go with 14c. If you want an edge that will last longer on abrasive materials. go with S30V.

Looks like a slight improvement on the 12c27 they use to use. Sandvik is very pure steel, which can help performanace and corrosion resistance.
    If there numbers are consistant with previous version, it would still be considered a medium+ carbon stainless. In this sense, even though it's a newer stainless steel, it's kind of outdated compared to the competition where 1%+ carbon is the norm.
    I just picked up a Pack Rat that has this blade, and first thing that came to mind when I sharpended it, was easily it took an edge. So far seems very similar to AUS8 or 440A to me. I always like the Sandvik stuff, have lots of Mora's that get treated terribly and they keep hanging in there.
    Last edited by Hitzy; 07-18-2010 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas W View Post
    Heh.....
    Does that "Heh" means what I think it does?

14c28N was developed at Kershaw's behest.

It can be heat treated to a high hardness and takes a razor edge.

14C28N will hold a razor edge longer than S30V.
    S30V will hold a lesser edge longer than 14C28N.

They are quite different steels. Each is better for a different purpose.
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

Iv never Ben able to get a sharper edge than on sandvik and it is soo easy to keep that way !!! Makes me feel like I really know how to sharpen a knife lol

Quote Originally Posted by RxEnergy View Post
    Does that "Heh" means what I think it does?
    Does it mean that Kershaw made that knife?

Sandvik 14c28n is fantastic steel for getting an extremely fine sharp edge. My Kershaws in the Sandvik steels take the sharpest edges I've ever seen or felt (only seconded or even tied with SG2).
    ~Ryan

Does the N stand for Niobium?

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Better is user subjective. I thought 14c28n was exclusive to Kershaw? Either way, the steel snobs will say it's a downgrade, while users won't care.
    acctually iam a user but i also know about steel as any "real knife collector and user does" and its a big downgrade... s30v is one of the best steels out on the market.. they problly changed steels to make the knife for affordable.. but they also just made it less in quality =S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information