Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Work Sharp Knife Sharpener

ADVERTISEMENT
    There must be more than one style offered. Darn, I would have preferred the style you guys have! Maybe Work Sharp can chime in here on this.

I wonder why the lady I talked to on the phone told me they didnt make units with the three position switch? Thats a little discerning. Talk about not knowing your own product? In any event I emailed Work Sharp, I would have preferred the three position switch.

By the way, the serial number on mine is low, something like 416 if I remember right. Maybe they upgraded the later models?

Review of the Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener.

Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener Review

When I first read about this product it interested me due to the fact that it was for people who wanted a way to sharpen their knives without having to learn special skills to accomplish this. It turned out to be quit easy to get a very sharp edge on knives you have in the home. Not only did it produce this edge that would slice news paper, like you see in some videos, but would also sharpen scissors as well. It is not meant to take the place of the sharpening methods of people who take a special interest in getting their knives razor sharp, but to put a edge on knives for those who never could get their knife to cut that tomato cleanly.
    I had just finished a knife and sharpening seminar in my community and don’t have another scheduled for awhile. I wanted to get this tool into the hands of people who are not as sick as me regarding the edge on their knives.
    A good group, I felt, to meet with was the fishing club since we all live a few minutes from the Atlantic Ocean. I requested that they bring their fillet knives to try this new sharpener. I had them watch the video. I also went over the components and demonstrated how to use the sharpener and had each of them do their own knives. They were all very pleased with the ease and edge that they themselves obtained. The cost seemed well within their range and they wanted to know where to purchase their own. Two also brought a kitchen knife to be sharpened. Both these Henckel International’s had lost their ability to perform in the kitchen years ago. One asked me to do his since he was a little afraid of ruining it himself. The other person did his own after that and was then sold on this sharpener. Then came a pocket knife from another ones pocket .It was a Buck that was given to him years ago by his son. The Work Sharp handled this with ease. Most any knife angle you want, other then the 20 and 25 degree provided, can be done on the belt without using the guides. I would attempt this after you become comfortable using the sharpener.
    I had done one pair of scissors, about a week ago, using the Work Sharp and about 6-7 passes on each edge put new life back into this older cutting tool. My wife is very pleased with how they cut now.
    The sharpener is much quieter then I thought it would be. It seems to be well made and I feel worth what they charge. It’s size makes it easy to store anywhere. Remember that this is made in Ashland, Oregon (USA) with only a few components purchased offshore. It has a one year warranty for the consumer but not for industrial user. I find the User Guide is well written and easy to follow. Changing the belt is fast and tracking is handled with one red knob. This adjustment I had made with the unit unplugged and by rotating the belt. The three position power switch is a bonus when operating the sharpener different ways. There are three different grit belts that come with the sharpener. P80 Coarse (2), P220 Medium (2) and 6000 Fine (2)
    I would like to see them offer a leather belt for those who like to strop their edge.

I will not stop using my Paper Wheels, Edge Pro, Spyderco Sharpmaker, DMT, Japanese water stones, 42" belt grinder etc. This makes a nice addition to the methods I currently use.
    It could put a small dent in my P/T sharpening business though.

Price about $69.00
    1-800-597-6170
    www.workshoptools.com

I hope that this review was helpful.
    Last edited by rpttrsn; 09-08-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: They do not carry additional belt grits.

Nice review.I may have to get one of these things.I especially like to support any usa manufacturer because he could probably have them made in China and make more money.Sad but true.

There are some good reviews on Amazon. All 5 stars. I might just "need" one of these.
    http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSK...owViewpoints=1

Quote Originally Posted by rpttrsn View Post
    Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener Review

When I first read about this product it interested me due to the fact that it was for people who wanted a way to sharpen their knives without having to learn special skills to accomplish this. It turned out to be quit easy to get a very sharp edge on knives you have in the home. Not only did it produce this edge that would slice news paper, like you see in some videos, but would also sharpen scissors as well. It is not meant to take the place of the sharpening methods of people who take a special interest in getting their knives razor sharp, but to put a edge on knives for those who never could get their knife to cut that tomato cleanly.
    I had just finished a knife and sharpening seminar in my community and don’t have another scheduled for awhile. I wanted to get this tool into the hands of people who are not as sick as me regarding the edge on their knives.
    A good group, I felt, to meet with was the fishing club since we all live a few minutes from the Atlantic Ocean. I requested that they bring their fillet knives to try this new sharpener. I had them watch the video. I also went over the components and demonstrated how to use the sharpener and had each of them do their own knives. They were all very pleased with the ease and edge that they themselves obtained. The cost seemed well within their range and they wanted to know where to purchase their own. Two also brought a kitchen knife to be sharpened. Both these Henckel International’s had lost their ability to perform in the kitchen years ago. One asked me to do his since he was a little afraid of ruining it himself. The other person did his own after that and was then sold on this sharpener. Then came a pocket knife from another ones pocket .It was a Buck that was given to him years ago by his son. The Work Sharp handled this with ease. Most any knife angle you want, other then the 20 and 25 degree provided, can be done on the belt without using the guides. I would attempt this after you become comfortable using the sharpener.
    I had done one pair of scissors, about a week ago, using the Work Sharp and about 6-7 passes on each edge put new life back into this older cutting tool. My wife is very pleased with how they cut now.
    The sharpener is much quieter then I thought it would be. It seems to be well made and I feel worth what they charge. It’s size makes it easy to store anywhere. Remember that this is made in Ashland, Oregon (USA) with only a few components purchased offshore. It has a one year warranty for the consumer but not for industrial user. I find the User Guide is well written and easy to follow. Changing the belt is fast and tracking is handled with one red knob. This adjustment I had made with the unit unplugged and by rotating the belt. The three position power switch is a bonus when operating the sharpener different ways. There are three different grit belts that come with the sharpener. P80 Coarse (2), P220 Medium (2) and 6000 Fine (2).. They also offer a couple other grits • (2) 3600 Fine Grit Belts
    • (1) 12000 Ultra Fine Grit Belt
    I would like to see them offer a leather belt for those who like to strop their edge.

I will not stop using my Paper Wheels, Edge Pro, Spyderco Sharpmaker, DMT, Japanese water stones, 42" belt grinder etc. This makes a nice addition to the methods I currently use.

It could put a small dent in my P/T sharpening business though.

Price about $69.00

1-800-597-6170
    www.workshoptools.com

I hope that this review was helpful.
    Great review!

Tell me, do you think this sharpener will handle knives with bellies, and nightmare grinds?

Thanks for the good review!

Stitchawl

Quote Originally Posted by Folderguy View Post
    Great review!

Tell me, do you think this sharpener will handle knives with bellies, and nightmare grinds?
    With the guides removed you have about 2" of belt running on up side and 2 1/2" on down side of the roller to work your magic. Its like using a mini belt grinder which will give you a convex edge.

There are three different grit belts that come with the sharpener. P80 Coarse (2), P220 Medium (2) and 6000 Fine (2).. They also offer a couple other grits • (2) 3600 Fine Grit Belts
    • (1) 12000 Ultra Fine Grit Belt
    Are they making the 3600 and 12000 for this machine now? Just curious, 'cause the ones they currently offer actually fit the knife sharpener attachment for their other machine, and they're a different length (18" vs. 12").

cbw

With the guides removed you have about 2" of belt running on up side and 2 1/2" on down side of the roller to work your magic. Its like using a mini belt grinder which will give you a convex edge.
    Great! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cbwx34 View Post
    Are they making the 3600 and 12000 for this machine now? Just curious, 'cause the ones they currently offer actually fit the knife sharpener attachment for their other machine, and they're a different length (18" vs. 12").

cbw
    They are not making 3600 or 12000 for this machine. Those belts are for another Work Sharp machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
    They are not making 3600 or 12000 for this machine. Those belts are for another Work Sharp machine.
    How difficult would it be to take one of those other belts, cut it, and glue it back together to work on this machine?

Probably wouldnt be too difficult. The standard belts look to be spliced together with some kind of special tape.

There are a lot of 1/2 x 12" belts sold by Micro Mesh

http://micro-surface.com/index.php?m...products_id=91

I've ordered one of these sharpeners mainly for machete and axe sharpening since it is essentially a small, portable belt sander. I'll certainly try it out on knives as well. Not much more than a pair of Sharpmaker diamond rods and should be good for re-profiling.

I finally got the whole story from the company. A few early units were shipped with just the momentary switch (as in the one I have). They then upgraded to the three position switch.

They told me that if I were to send in my unit they would replace it with one with the three position switch. They were very nice about it.

I apologize to rpttrsn. You were right about these units having the three position switch.

I think I will just keep mine the way it is. I might buy an new one down the road as a back-up.

You do have to be careful not to round the tip off--just like any other belt sander. Im not sure the little 0.7 amp motor will be a long lasting machine if you use it a lot--but time will tell.

Just ordered one... should be here Monday.

Just curious, where did you order it from? I got mine from http://www.cpodrilldoctor.com/work-s...gid=work-sharp
    Very fast delivery.

You guys must be nuts or I'm missing something. Cost of motor, knife attachment and a full set of belts:

WORK SHARP 2000 $129.90 Remove $129.90
    NEW! KNIFE SHARPENER REPLACEMENT BELT KIT $24.95 Remove $24.95
    NEW! KNIFE SHARPENING SYSTEM - Attachment for WS2000 $42.95 Remove $42.95

Sub-Total: $197.80

Plus shipping. I'd get an Edge Pro Apex myself.

We are not talking about the Work Sharp 2000. We are talking about the one at the link above. It is $69.95 and replacement belt kits are $9.95

We are not talking about the Work Sharp 2000. We are talking about the one at the link above. It is $69.95 and replacement belt kits are $9.95
    That's a lot better, still pricey though.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information