Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shemagh, scarf, neck gaiter or buff?

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I'm trying to decide whether to get a buff or shemagh for hot weather. I normally wear a bandana but they can be a bit small (my neck and head are big). Buffs look alright and seem like they'd work well for keeping the sun off, but it seems less versatile than a shemagh (and maybe a bit warm?). Shemaghs look good but I'm not sure how cool they are either. A bit of dust protection would be nice too.

For those looking for something to help cool them during the summer months, there are a couple of companies that sell cooling towels. These are basically made out of the material used for shammies, those things used to dry your car after you wash them.
    I know it sounds weird but THEY WORK!! I was first introduced to them in Afghanistan when we received a couple in a care package. I was skeptical at first but after the first day using them, I am a believer.
    You soak them and wrap around your neck and they help keep you cool. If they start to dry out then re-soak.
    I still use mine to help during the hot Texas summer months and they help a lot.
    They can be found at the big home improvement stores or other places.

Quote Originally Posted by Noswad0208 View Post
    I'm trying to decide whether to get a buff or shemagh for hot weather. I normally wear a bandana but they can be a bit small (my neck and head are big). Buffs look alright and seem like they'd work well for keeping the sun off, but it seems less versatile than a shemagh (and maybe a bit warm?). Shemaghs look good but I'm not sure how cool they are either. A bit of dust protection would be nice too.

I strongly recommend the XL buff in UV. Mine is a desert pixel pattern but after washing it, it looks more of just a sand color. The XL size is 1.5" wider and 1" longer, which is less constrictive around the neck and a little easier to wrap as a balacklava or face mask. I still love my shemagh but it has become more of an item I carry and use if I'm hauling a pack. If I'm going out to mow the lawn, do yard work, or just anything working outside for long periods in the humidity I use the xl buff. If I'm hiking, camping out, or chilling in my hammock out back, I bring the shemagh and the buff. I like that the buff can be thrown in a pocket and take up less room but that's not always good, as the extra material on a shemagh is what makes it useful as a camp towel, pot holder, mini-blanket, makeshift pillow, emergency sling, etc. I'd get both if I were you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information