Thread: Shun Higo Nokami gentleman's knife.

Shun Higo Nokami gentleman's knife.

ADVERTISEMENT
    My wife knows I like good kitchen knives...we have a selection of Shun models and are great slicers. This was a surprise gift yesterday...it's called a 'Higo Nokami' gentleman's folder, and is made at the KAI/Shun factory in Seki, Japan.

Blade is 4" VG-10, hollowground, handles are Pakkawood, and it's a flipper design, very like an old fashioned straight razor, with an added and updated locking liner for safety.

Here's pics: enjoy!

Benchmade fan - too many to list.

Blog Entries
    That is a beautiful knife. I've never seen that one before, excellent gentlemens knife.

This one was designed as a personal steak knife. Turned our pretty sweet, I have quite a few of them, and have given many as gifts. Great conversation piece around the table.

Nice gift from the wifey!

I saw that the other day in a Williams Sonoma. Looks like a gentleman's knife, indeed. How is it?

Yep, it came from Williams Sonoma, her favorite destination...the knife opens very smoothly and was used for dinner last night, the chicken breast didn't have a chance... It's set to 32 degrees inclusive, so like the other Shun models at 15 to 16 it's an incredible edge.

The leather sheath it comes with is great but I'm picking up a Benchmade model 42/51 Bali sheath when I choose to carry it on picnics etc.

Very nice!!

That is a really cool knife.

That is a nice looking knife. I've considered picking one up for a picnic or restaurant night out knife. Never can get a decent knife, not even at a decent restaurant!

Does it come shaving sharp or do you have to work on it?

Regards,
    HB

Shaving sharp, my arm has a clean patch...Easily the sharpest knife I've pulled out of a box. Steaks will not stand a chance, but why stop there?

beautiful beautiful knife.... holy sh!t

Girlfriend ordered this from William Sonoma for me this past weekend. Getting giddy thinking about it arriving in the next few days!

I love those little knives. Don't own one myself, but every time I play with one it tempts me.

I'm honestly surprised that no one makes a wharncliffe steak knife. Only the tip would dull against the plate and the rest would stay sharp.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Cutting under an angle will also help to keep that edge sharp.
    I use my Laguiole like this when i go out dining.

Hey Joe how's it going? Hope all is well. I see that you also have made your way over to this forum. I haven't been on the Benchmade forum much myself either.

But anyway, could you please tell me what model # your knife is? It appears to be a 5900.

And you mentioned a 32 degree edge; did you create that edge or did it come that way?

Thanks and take care Joe

Mike

Mike,

I don't mean to hijack your post but I have noticed that one of the dealers here supporting Blade Forums, A.G. Russell, sells that knife.

Here is a link to the page. http://www.agrussell.com/shun-gentle...ife/p/KE-5900/

And a picture of it

KE-5900.jpg

Thanks,
    Woodkrafter (Mark)
    "It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error"
    ..... Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson

Thanks Mark for the heads up.

I see the knife in the link has a 3.5" blade, but Joe's has a 4" blade.

That has me curious as to what model # it is.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

The knife as shown in the OP's initial post is now listed as 3.75" in length on that company's website, with an handle length of 7.5" Perhaps it's an updated or revised version of the original shown above? The picture now on the webpage does not show a logo or info on the blade.

A.G. Russell's version has a 3.5" blade, is model KE-5900, and has a logo or info similar to the OP's original picture.

Thanks,
    Mark
    "It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error"
    ..... Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson

Resurecting this thread. Those that own this knife what do you think of it so far? I had planned to use this for eating, but wondering if there are other practical uses. Just ordered this impulsively off Amazon. thanks.

Thread Information