Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New LMF firesteel

New LMF firesteel

ADVERTISEMENT
    I was perusing REI the other day when I noticed a new LMF Scout 2.0 firesteel. I don't need any more firesteels, but it looked pretty neat so I made an impulse buy I also checked their website, and the large army model has a 2.0 version as well.

The steel and striker both have a very comfy thumb divot that makes using it feel secure in hand. This striker is a huge improvement over the old style one.

I usually don't use the striker anyway and just use the back of my knife, but this one has a small emergency whistle built in that is actually very shrill and loud.

In testing it out, I was using common things that I keep in my first aid kit that's always in my pack. The Purell is just like alcohol and will easily catch a spark but it evaporates very quickly.

For instance a little Neosporin helped this small piece of cotton burn for about a minute. It works exactly like vaseline on a cotton ball

I found these cotton squares work better than plain cotton balls though. So I snagged a bunch from my wife's makeup kit

So nothing too exciting, but a new firesteel is always neat and playing with a little fire is fun. And I always like things that I carry to be multipurpose too.
    /Users/tnc4evr/Desktop/thumbnail.aspx.jpg

Thanks tknife, I saw these a few days ago, I thought about getting some more. Thanks again. Moose
    Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash.

I like the whistle addition. If it works good as you say, I am definitely going to pick up a few for my own stocking

I just got one a few weeks ago, but I do like the styling of that new one. The whistles handy too. I guess I can keep one in the truck. Thanks for the info.

Any difference in the firesteel itself, or just in the addition of the whistle?
    Polysporin is a good idea for multi use items, going to try that one.

Definitely cool lookin' ... I like the new design.

The steel itself is identical to the regular Scout models that I have. The handle shape, striker and whistle are what's different. The 2.0 was also a couple dollars more than the standard. Don't know if it can be had for cheaper online, you kind of pay a premium at REI anyway.

thanks for the review- that striker (san whistle) looks a lot like the firesteel super scraper- it does work very well

I didn't know neosporin would make a decent substitute for vaseline- I keep a couple of small packets in FAK- good to know they could work for fire starting

tknife great tip on the neosporin. one never knows what our members are going to come up with. thanks a ton.
    dennis

Thanks guys, I'm glad I was able to pass a new tip on.

Thanks Bro

Excellent post!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Siegle Knife Expert----
    If you have one you want to buy,sell or trade--contact me

Quote Originally Posted by tknife View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm glad I was able to pass a new tip on.
    its about time, 7,320 posts later.....

seriously,Thanks!! since I don't have a steel at the moment I'll have to get this one.
    BeckerHead #13

"I am not a Number, I am a Free Man"- Maiden

"The moments we share today, Inspire the stories we tell tomorrow"

Haha, seriously about time huh!

I have to swing by REI in the morning... I'll see if they have them out here in STL yet.

Thanks... Ski

Neat new scraper for LMF.

Oh, and not exactly a new idea.

I have a few knifes that I keep firesteels on the sheath. The new style is not very condusive to that.

No a real fan of the change

Thanks for this, hadn't seen the new design. I was going to pick up a few more of these, now i think I'll wait and get the 2.0s when they come in or order them off line.
    History is a gallery of pictures in which there are few originals and many copies. ~Alexis de Tocqueville

B.H. #27

Quote Originally Posted by Pritch View Post
    Neat new scraper for LMF.

Oh, and not exactly a new idea.
    No way I thought of it first! Nah, I don't remember where I saw that done actually, it might have been on one of Ron Hood's videos.

Nice review and tips!
    I like the new design on those. I'll have to pick up one of each size, next time I make an order at REI.com.
    Adam
    "The pointy headed birds are pointy, pointy. Anoint their heads, anointy, nointy"

Is the actual metal match material any different from the original design?

TF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information