Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden handled carbon steel knife

Wooden handled carbon steel knife

ADVERTISEMENT
    Recently I've just gotten into bushcraft and am looking for a good knife that will last me for a long time. Recently I bought the bushcraft mora triflex, but i realize now that i really don't like the synthetic handle, though the shape is quite nice. Because of this I'm looking for a good wooden handled bushcraft knife. I've looked into the #1 and #2 of the moras, but the handle isn't the best shape. Honestly wish they made a new mora with a well designed wooden handle.

Anyways, what do you guys reccomend? I've looked for a decent amount of time now, but it's hard to know which to pick without other's oppinions. I'm looking for a standard scandi grind, about 4" blade, carbon steel, wood handled knife. At max i want to pay $100, but that doesn't mean i won't buy a low cost knife if it really is good. Thanks for taking the time to read/post and hope to hear some good reccomendations.

Check out The kellam wolverine, any puukkos by jarvenpa, ahti, Or perhaps the one of the helle blades....(not carbons laminated steel which is nice)
    I recentl got a blind hores boat tail scandi which has nicarta handles but is awesome.

I would say check the knifemakers forums, but you're lookin' at more than a hundred there. Blind Horse Knives are some good knives, and not much over what you want to spend.

Honestly, you found Bladeforums, and if you can't find it here, then it doesn't exist in the knife world.

Good luck in your search, for me, that's half the fun.

Moose

Almost forgot, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!
    After this, I'm gonna need a Percocet the size of a Hardee's biscuit......-Unknown Millwright

Check out the Condor Bushcraft series.

Thanks for the quick responses and welcoming me to the forum. From those reccomendations I've mostly narrowed it down to the ahti The Vaar and the kellam wolverine. Condor bushcraft knives look pretty cool aswell. Anyone know if there are any canadian stores that sell any of these knives?

Check out Ragweedforge.com, and check out Jarvenpaa Classic Utility Knife. A great hand-filling carbon steel knife. Heck they're all cool knives on Ragnar's site.

I just took delivery of this beauty yesterday. It's a BHK Bushcrafter. It was a custom job so it was a little above your price point but it came with a quality leather bushcraft style sheath with dangler option from JRE Industries. There are many retailers that sell their knives so search them all because all of the BHK knives are "semi-custom" and not production so the stock that each retailer will have at any time will vary and some will be in your price point.

The Condor Bushlore is also a great knife. Check out Brusletto and Martiini, there's some fantastic knives for a great price from those two manufacturers. Look at the Martiini Lynx Lumberjack and the Brusletto Troll if you can find them.

Kellam Wolverine is an excellent knife. Been messing aroung with one for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blais View Post
    The Condor Bushlore is also a great knife. Check out Brusletto and Martiini, there's some fantastic knives for a great price from those two manufacturers. Look at the Martiini Lynx Lumberjack and the Brusletto Troll if you can find them.
    I've heard that the martiini knives have gone down in quality recently. Main reason i've avoided it, not to mention it's sold out in ben's backwoods. Otherwise the lynx looks to be a great knife.

Quote Originally Posted by RescueRiley View Post
    Check out The kellam wolverine, any puukkos by jarvenpa, ahti, Or perhaps the one of the helle blades....(not carbons laminated steel which is nice)
    I recentl got a blind hores boat tail scandi which has nicarta handles but is awesome.
    I don't know how much they cost in America but the Wolverine is a lovely knife.

Not trying to displace the fine recommendations you have received, or really trying to talk you into a wood handled mora. I have at least one of each of Frost's wood carving knives and all the handles have been somewhat different. However the basic design fits in the hand nicely and allows one to hold the knife in any functional grip you can imagine. The handle doesnt try to tell you how to hold it. which is a good thing imo

If I were you I'd make do with a Mora till I'd saved up the extra $50 to get an ML Woods and Bush knife, he does Scandi grinds on request.

http://mlknives.com/huntingbowiescamp.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Briarbrow View Post
    Not trying to displace the fine recommendations you have received, or really trying to talk you into a wood handled mora. I have at least one of each of Frost's wood carving knives and all the handles have been somewhat different. However the basic design fits in the hand nicely and allows one to hold the knife in any functional grip you can imagine. The handle doesnt try to tell you how to hold it. which is a good thing imo
    Somehow, you've actually made me want the mora #1 now, lol. I like the blades, but visually the wooden handles seem not so great. Won't kill me to spend 10 bucks to try one first anyways. You never know, if i really like it i can spend an extra 20 and get a jre sheath and i'd pretty much be good to go. Have you(or anyone else) tried sanding the handle of the classic moras? Heard the red paint makes it slippery so i don't believe it'd be too hard to take that off.

The ones I have are not painted. I like the laminated steel.

Usually in similar cases I start with lacquer thinner.

Go over to Ragweed forge and look at the Jarvenpaa Classic Utility Knife. It's nice.

He also has Moras with wood handles. Probably sensory overload, but that's the risk you take!

Quote Originally Posted by topiser View Post
    I'm looking for a standard scandi grind, about 4" blade, carbon steel, wood handled knife. At max i want to pay $100...
    Grohmann have a few models that are a close match for your specs, and well within your price range.

be advised you will fine few stronger advocates of the mora than I.. but the new wooden handled models onyl; have a 3/4 stick tang not the full peened tang of the old ones.

here's a custom made, standard ground "bushcraft" style knife in 1095 with cocobolo scales for $90 shipped.

seems to meet all the criteria you listed. don't know if the style will be what turns you on or not.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=736082

another option would be the Condor Woodlore which retails for about $30, or their Bushcraft Basics, but these are all scandi grind.

Quote Originally Posted by RescueRiley View Post
    be advised you will fine few stronger advocates of the mora than I.. but the new wooden handled models onyl; have a 3/4 stick tang not the full peened tang of the old ones.
    Most mora's in general have short tangs, but they do still seem to hold out pretty well. 3/4 is a lot better than the bushcraft triflex's 1/4, but i've still battoned with it with no problems. Worst case it's only 10 dollars if i break a wood handled mora anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information