Thread: Old Hickory Knives

Old Hickory Knives

ADVERTISEMENT
    Who here uses ontario's old hickory kitchen knives as bushcraft/outdoors knives, or just kitchen knives. lets see some pics.

Here is my Mod 14inch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rat Pack #269

INFANTRYMAN

Beckerhead #073

Here are some more of the ones I own for reference. From left to right, and older Old Hickory skinner, a Modified 10 incher, an 8 inch butcher, a modified 7 incher, and a Green River sheath knife.

I have several but have not used them as outdoor knives yet. The butcher and a slicing knife here are bent and Id like to shorten them to make a bushcraft knife.The third from the bottom is a Chicago Cuttlery in carbon steel. The bottom one is CaseXX . I really dont know how to go about cutting one down. I have a rotary tool that might be able to do the job. Then I would need a sheath.

i sure love the rustic look they have, certainly would suffice for deer & fish. just carry a diafold for touchup.
    dennis

Whenever a big piece of meat has to be cut into steaks out comes the 8" Butcher from its cardboard sheath.
    Does a good job on Watermelon too. Basically, its my BBQ knife.

Are those the original handle scales?

Quote Originally Posted by skab8541 View Post

No, oak torched.

[QUOTE=skab8541;8902634]

Thats pretty cool, Gonna have to make me a set of them one day.

I used to take along a paring and steak knife for bushcraft. But I haven't seen them in a few years. I had issues sharpening the flat grind. I'll have to purchase another if for nothing more than a knife to practice freehand sharpening a flat grind.

I have an Old Hickory skinner cut down into a Nessmuk style blade. I left the original handles on but oiled and torched them to a glossy burnt finish. One of my favorite knives.

Frosty

They can be put to good use. Tough and take a good edge.

Can you convex the edge? Would this be a good knife to learn how to take a flat grind and convex it? Also does anyone use a simple pull through sharpener on these? I guess I could try mine out. I have the same knife as above.

these knives are great - i buy Old Hickory knives at the local flea market for less than a dollar - the old ones perform better in the kitchen than hoitey-toitey 4-star Henckels

and my favorite is the Cabbage knife (although i found a really nice thin-blade 5" filet for $0.25 last month)

i'm not so sure about current production, but if you browse your thrift stores and flea markets, you're sure to find some real gems that can be put back to work

willie

Quote Originally Posted by DrivebyTrucker View Post
    Can you convex the edge? Would this be a good knife to learn how to take a flat grind and convex it? Also does anyone use a simple pull through sharpener on these? I guess I could try mine out. I have the same knife as above.
    I convex the edges on the "Special Grade" 14" models I sell. They take a very nice polished edge, but it's not surprising given that it's Ontario 1095--we all know how solid their machetes are!

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

There is just something about the patina those Old Hickories get on em that I really like but I don't have even one of them that I take to camp. I guess I should, they are very reasonably priced and capable blades.

My OH collection of users.

Old Hickories are some of my favorite toys:

Old_Hickory_Recountoured.jpgOld_Hickory_Nessmuk.jpg

I mainly use them in the kitchen, especially the large boning knife, it's great for cutting up turkey. You can use them in the woods, as others have shown, but I think they are too soft generally, and their edges don't last very long when I use them, compared to some of my other knives. YMMV.

19. mine aint old hickory the first ones a Green River i put a cocobolo diamond wood handle on (much darker blade then what the picture shows, its almost as black as the other knife).... and the second one i dont know what it is but im gonna cut it down to a shorter length

I've been banned from other knife forums for even MENTIONING Old Hickory knives. Seems to me that if an outfit is scared of competition, it's because their product is weak/limited. Those burnt oak hilts look might fine, sir. Good job. I bet that Birchwood Casey true oil would look great on a wooden hilt, but probably be slippery if wet.

Thread Information