Thread: Windlass Steelcrafts - wall hangers?

Windlass Steelcrafts - wall hangers?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I usually play with knives but recently I saw a picture of Windlass Russian Kindjal and can't get it out of my head. What do you guys think about it? is it practical or just a wall hanger? does anyone have/use/hangs on wall windlass swords/daggers?

Quote Originally Posted by NI200 View Post
    I usually play with knives but recently I saw a picture of Windlass Russian Kindjal and can't get it out of my head. What do you guys think about it? is it practical or just a wall hanger? does anyone have/use/hangs on wall windlass swords/daggers?
    I owned one briefly, it's a pretty nice piece for the money. That I think in a nutshell sums up windlass. They are pretty nice for the money. You have to pick and choose from among their pieces. Some of them are good (again with the qualifier of for the money) and others are completely bunk (even for the money). In general I think Windlass has progressed over the last 7-8 years. Still I wouldn't call them wall hangers their heat treats are generally decent and some of the other characteristics in handling and geometry are getting better. Just don't expect a multi-thousand dollar sword and you will be fine.

I have a few Windlass pieces. As mentioned above, they're good for how much you drop on them. They're functional, for sure, but are often not the best in terms of fit, finish, handling characteristics, or historical accuracy. But they work and don't break the bank.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Windlass are nice but some of the shorter knives/swords don't have the best handle/tang build and geometry and some of the larger swords have decent construction but not the best edge geometry or sharpening, etc. Basically you'll almost always have some issues but for the money, they're not bad at all.

I've owned a few Windlass pieces over the years and my biggest gripe is with the crappy handle construction. The blades tend to be well tempered and serviceable although the longer blades tend to be a bit 'whippy'. They're best bought for the blades for which you can add your own customized hilt.

The Windlass Russian Kindjal, more properly called a bejbut, I've had one since about 1998. It's a nice short double edged saber. Mine took and hold a fairly good edge and it's very tough. Light and quick, pointy, with decent slashing power.

Thread Information