Page 51 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2139

Thread: Ranking of Steels in Categories based on Edge Retention cutting 5/8" rope

Northern California, in the heart of the Gold Country

ADVERTISEMENT
    gomipile, ACuto + looks like 440C with a percent more moly. Phil

This may sound odd but can you add popular damascus styles in there I am curious about where they fall at

Just out of curiosity Ankerson, how would 1095 or 1095 crovan rank in this list? have you had an opportunity to test them?

Quote Originally Posted by apintandafight View Post
    Just out of curiosity Ankerson, how would 1095 or 1095 crovan rank in this list? have you had an opportunity to test them?
    That would depend on HRC hardness so it would vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Wilson View Post
    gomipile, ACuto + looks like 440C with a percent more moly. Phil
    Alas, since 440C isn't on Ankerson's list, that doesn't help me in the context of this thread.

Thanks for spotting the alloy similarity though!

Now that you've made me spot this, I'd like to see a knife with really good geometry and excellent HT in 440C tested here, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Alas, since 440C isn't on Ankerson's list, that doesn't help me in the context of this thread.

...I'd like to see a knife with really good geometry and excellent HT in 440C tested here, as well.
    Certainly not an expert, and I'd like to see the actual test, but my WAG would be Cat 7, with a slight chance of Cat 6

Thanks for spotting the alloy similarity though!

Now that you've made me spot this, I'd like to see a knife with really good geometry and excellent HT in 440C tested here, as well.
    You could always have one made for you by a Custom maker.

Quote Originally Posted by apintandafight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    That would depend on HRC hardness so it would vary.
    I am guessing folks are looking to see a shoot-out between an ESEE Izula and Becker BK11 ... and a Swamp Warden to throw SR101 into the mix

How's Ankerson's health?

You could always have one made for you by a Custom maker.
    It looks like 440C has a fairly precise response to heat treatment, so 59-60 Rc can be obtained reliably. So, 15 thousandths thick behind the edge, at least 3 inches of straight cutting edge at 59-60Rc should be good for testing, then, then?

What knives that you have tested do you consider to have the best handle and blade shapes and grind geometry for your testing protocol?

Quote Originally Posted by chiral.grolim View Post
    I am guessing folks are looking to see a shoot-out between an ESEE Izula and Becker BK11 ... and a Swamp Warden to throw SR101 into the mix

How's Ankerson's health?
    I'm anxiously awaiting this test as well.

It looks like 440C has a fairly precise response to heat treatment, so 59-60 Rc can be obtained reliably. So, 15 thousandths thick behind the edge, at least 3 inches of straight cutting edge at 59-60Rc should be good for testing, then, then?

What knives that you have tested do you consider to have the best handle and blade shapes and grind geometry for your testing protocol?

The Spyderco Military is pretty much perfect for testing folder wise, the Demko AD-10 a step up from that.

The best are the Custom fixed blades, about 5" blade usually and thin flat grind.

I appreciate all of the information in this section and want to thank everyone for their input and thoughts.

Thanks-

Thanks for all this, Jumpin Jimmy.
    Did you get a job yet?

Very interesting, very thorough! Awesome job man!

Jim,
    I would be interested in sending you a 440C blade to test. I flat grind to thin edges that should work for your testing. I tested them after heat treat to an average 59-60 Rockwell. Is this something you would be interested in, or is your backlog of knives too long?
    Big Chris
    Big Chris Custom Knives
    Like us on Facebook
    bigchriscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.bigchriscustomknives.com

Currently not accepting new custom orders.
    Contact me if you are interested in a regrind.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
    Jim,
    I would be interested in sending you a 440C blade to test. I flat grind to thin edges that should work for your testing. I tested them after heat treat to an average 59-60 Rockwell. Is this something you would be interested in, or is your backlog of knives too long?
    No real backlog right now for this.

I could do it no problem.

Jim,

Did you end up testing the Friction Forged D2 blade? I'd love to see how it performs! Thanks again for all the testing you do!

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    Jim,

Did you end up testing the Friction Forged D2 blade? I'd love to see how it performs! Thanks again for all the testing you do!

Still working on the method to run it, it's short and thick behind the edge so it's causing me problems....

Still working on the method to run it, it's short and thick behind the edge so it's causing me problems....
    Thats to bad. Knives that are thick behind the edge belong on choppers. Thanks for doing your testing

very nice read! i like how much thinking went into this. also how everyone is responding to the thread. not in agreement, but still posting.

Page 51 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Thread Information