Page 40 of 109 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranking of Steels in Categories based on Edge Retention cutting 5/8" rope

ADVERTISEMENT
    How much edge length do you need to get a good test result? I'm wondering if the Spyderco UKPK, being hollow ground, might give a better result when testing CTS-BD1. It only has a cutting edge of 2.34", so I'm not sure if it is testable with your protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    How much edge length do you need to get a good test result? I'm wondering if the Spyderco UKPK, being hollow ground, might give a better result when testing CTS-BD1. It only has a cutting edge of 2.34", so I'm not sure if it is testable with your protocol.
    It's too short, the lower alloy steels don't do well with polished edges cutting Manila rope.

Are you planning on adding any different kinds of steel

Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    It's too short, the lower alloy steels don't do well with polished edges cutting Manila rope.
    Where would, say Case 1095CV or KA-BAR 1095 rank? Particularly Case, since I know there are several full hollow ground, thin bladed knives with blades longer than 3" available from Case in that steel.

Where would, say Case 1095CV or KA-BAR 1095 rank? Particularly Case, since I know there are several full hollow ground, thin bladed knives with blades longer than 3" available from Case in that steel.
    It's too soft to really perform and with a polished edge 1095 smooths out VERY fast when cutting rope.

Ah, that makes sense. My 1095 blades always seem to perform best when fresh off the Norton fine India.

Ah, that makes sense. My 1095 blades always seem to perform best when fresh off the Norton fine India.
    Yeah, they just don't have the hard carbide content to hold the edge for very long compared to the higher alloy steels so they just plain lose bite fast and start to slide on the rope.

Have you considered testing 3V? I've preordered the Spyderco Tuff and am curious about the performance it will have.

Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    Have you considered testing 3V? I've preordered the Spyderco Tuff and am curious about the performance it will have.

It will be too thick behind the edge for sure for this testing.

Jim, why did 154CM at a higher Rc perform worse than ATS-34? I thought they were supposed to be the same...was the blade grind really different???

Category 5

S30V (60)
    VG-1
    CPM - D2 (62)
    N690
    ATS-34 (59)
    CPM-S35VN (59)
    N680

Category 6

INFI
    154CM (61)
    14C28N

Jim,

I can't find the post right now, but I recall you posting that you owned a few Spyderco Military knives. Can you please share with us which ones you have, and why you have decided to keep/own those variants?

Thanks in advance,
    Will

tag for future use

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Jim, why did 154CM at a higher Rc perform worse than ATS-34? I thought they were supposed to be the same...was the blade grind really different???
    Couldn't really say other than different batches can be different.

Hi Jim,

Do you think you'll be testing the Cruwear mule (reheat-treated, naturally)?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Xav

Ankerson,
    I've seen you mention that different steels do better sharpened at different grits, some do better toothy while others do better polished, is there something to look at as for as Vanadium or tungsten content that would tell me that or is it just something you have tested and notices, if the latter I know I would really appreciate if you could also make a table/list of steels that do better toothy from your observations and some that do better polished so that I am getting the most out of my steels, thanks for your work on this.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierdoc View Post
    Hi Jim,

Do you think you'll be testing the Cruwear mule (reheat-treated, naturally)?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Xav

I think so if I get access to one, haven't had much coming in lately to test that I can add to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelm466 View Post
    Ankerson,
    I've seen you mention that different steels do better sharpened at different grits, some do better toothy while others do better polished, is there something to look at as for as Vanadium or tungsten content that would tell me that or is it just something you have tested and notices, if the latter I know I would really appreciate if you could also make a table/list of steels that do better toothy from your observations and some that do better polished so that I am getting the most out of my steels, thanks for your work on this.
    I comes do to what kind of use the knife will see in general.

In general all steels do better with a toothy edge when slicing (Draw Cut).

Some of the high alloy steels do well with a high polished edge, that's high percentages of Vanadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    I comes do to what kind of use the knife will see in general.

In general all steels do better with a toothy edge when slicing (Draw Cut).

Some of the high alloy steels do well with a high polished edge, that's high percentages of Vanadium.
    Toothy edge, so around 600 grit? (Belt grinder)

Hey, have you tested dozier's d2. I wonder how it would do

Quote Originally Posted by jth250 View Post
    Hey, have you tested dozier's d2. I wonder how it would do
    Excellent question ......... Iam curious too.

Page 40 of 109 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Thread Information