Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: strongest, toughest knife under 100 bucks

strongest, toughest knife under 100 bucks

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi guys i have been inactive for a while on the forums but i have come back with a whole new question. For under 100 dollars what is the strongest knife. I mean overall construction. My vote goes for the schrade schf1. it seems like a very sturdy knife and i have the clip point version coming in the mail. What are your guys opinions?

cold steel american lawman

any CS tri-ad lock folder, recon, spartan, lawman, ak, soon to be voyager 2011

but also if you can find it on fleabay or on the for sale forums here, you may find a zt0200, or a bm 710 or something like that.
    WTB: Blade Show 2014 CS Recon 1's in XHP. PM me if you want to sell/trade!

KaBar/Becker BK2 Campanion
    1/4" thick 1095 goodness.
    RP #434 BH #57
    Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #61; TM Hunt; Terrio Handmade Knives #458 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Spyderco Manix 2.
    "And that's all I got to say about that" - Forest Gump

Another vote for cold steel American lawman.

I have 2 manix 2's, and while they are considered "hard use folders" I don't have much confidence that they would withstand much hard use.

On the other hand I wouldn't hesitate to use the American lawman for just about anything. Including batoning. Not saying I recommend that, just that I think it could take it.

Spyderco Manix 2, Cold Steel American Lawman, Cold Steel Recon 1.

I think you should go to www.knifetest.com and see what Noss has to say. The Schrade Extreme Survival SCHF1 only got a 3 knife score. There are several great knives he tested that are under $100 and got 4 knife scores. The SOG Seal Knife 2000 scored 5 knives and can be found online for around $100. I have watched all the knife test videos and Noss's rating system is definitely something I trust. I am happy with all the knives those tests helped me choose.

buck strider 881 ...then there is its bigger version 880 but thats slighty out of your price range

Sorry guys i should of clarified i ment fixed blades. Anyways any folding knife will never be as strong as good full tang fixed blade.

With the only parameter being under $100, you're sure to get a lot of diff.
    suggestions.

But if the BK2 isn't in the top 5, I'd be surprised. That's one Heavy Duty knife
    for a little over HALF a Hundred.

<$100

Try Himalayan imports. They usually have massive khukuries in that price range made from 1/2" thick forged 5160 (recycled truck springs).

Here is their forum:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=739

n2s
    Tagline:
    There is no good, no evil, no saints, no demons; There are just ordinary people making ordinary choices.

Becker BK2. I also have an Ontario Ranger Afghan. Very nice and strong with 1/4" blade from 5160.

Though I have yet to use or own one, I hear good things about the esee Izula...or you can have a hest for right around $100

Becker BK 2. I like the old models if you can find one. Even though you can find a lot of FB knives that "look" tough for under $100, you are getting a well known, field proven entity with Becker.

I keep one in my truck door 24/7. It isn't elegant but it is bomb proof with great steel and heat treat for hard outdoor use.

I feel if anyone goes outside of ESEE or Becker for a hard use FB, you are paying for elegance and other elements beyond pure strength and toughness.
    Last edited by Reeek; 12-10-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTideShooter View Post
    Another vote for cold steel American lawman.

I have 2 manix 2's, and while they are considered "hard use folders" I don't have much confidence that they would withstand much hard use.

On the other hand I wouldn't hesitate to use the American lawman for just about anything. Including batoning. Not saying I recommend that, just that I think it could take it.
    Why? Has the knife given you any reason to think that? Or is it because of one video on Youtube?
    You don't pick the day.
    The day picks you.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaMtnBkr View Post
    Why? Has the knife given you any reason to think that? Or is it because of one video on Youtube?
    It's because I used it to whittle a little on some pine and the blade loosened up enough to have about 2 mm of play when opened and closed. I tightened the pivot as tight as I could do it and it still wiggles. It's a great knife and I still carry it, but a hard user it isn't.

Another vote for Becker. Great value for the performance you get. The BK2 is a near indestructible general duty knife and my BK9 is an absolute beast for chopping and batoning. Someone mentioned Knife tests and he gave it a 2 knife score because it broke when he chopped cinderblock! Personally I still have full confidence in it from my experience because I don't need to cut down a wall LOL. He also tested the Camillus BK9, I've heard Ka-Bars have a better heat treat but I don't know for sure. Just pointing out that Knife Tests might not be the be-all-end-all judge of a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTideShooter View Post
    It's because I used it to whittle a little on some pine and the blade loosened up enough to have about 2 mm of play when opened and closed. I tightened the pivot as tight as I could do it and it still wiggles. It's a great knife and I still carry it, but a hard user it isn't.
    Is it horizontal or vertical play? Have you put loc tite or teflon tape on the pivot screws? Just curious. I have put my S90V Manix 2 through a heck of a lot harder use than whittling and it locks up the same as new. The pivot did loosen up at one point but teflon tape has kept it right where I put it. It is one of my most frequent EDC and hasn't been babied and I have complete faith in it.
    You don't pick the day.
    The day picks you.

Becker BK-2 for sure. Frigger is pure beast.

---

Beckerhead #42

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information