Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: WSS: Bushcraft Knife Challenge Gallery.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Love the handle on that x39!

Jason S Carter

Thanks Jason, I have a friend who owns a woodworking shop. Sometimes he'll give me a box of scrap to use as kindling in the woodstove, and I saw that piece of maple in there! I lucked out, I guess. Thanks also to Big Mike for presenting my knife so nicely.

Man, I LOVE the X39, very cool Scandi!!

I bought some unbelievably cool walnut recently from these guys... I WILL definitely do more business with them.

Jason

Here's the Gene Pinault knife it all it's brutal glory:

Big Mike

I like the roughness of that knife. That's pure tool right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher Knives View Post

Kind of like Gene.

Big Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    Kind of like Gene.

Big Mike
    Did you just call Gene "rough" or a "tool".

Nice pics and great knife.

I agree. It reminds me of Rick's knife in that there is a whole lot of stuff going on visually. Lots of diferent textures and colors, it has life. Nice work.

in terms of shape and looks it is my favorite of the whole bunch; good belly, good point with slight drop at tip, nice length , good grippy handle design and color and texture. performance will be interesting
    May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post

I could look at this knife for hours and still find new treasures hidden within it's finish. Gene, my only complaint is that every knife after this is only going to get better and lose that "built from necessity" look. I get kinda the same feeling from this blade as I do when I find some authentic, handmade, tribal knife hidden in the corner of an overpriced antique store. Like someone already said, soooooo much has happened in the making of this knife and you can trace it all back through the scars of his hard work. I'm glad he entered this POS. (with all due respect, of course)

I am a total sucker for honest expression and this type of raw workmanship is right up my alley... no, Tony... not THAT alley... that one is strictly reserved for you, sweety.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick Marchand; 02-16-2011 at 07:57 AM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com
    rickmarchand@wildertools.com

Amen to that
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Marchand View Post
    I could look at this knife for hours and still find new treasures hidden within it's finish. Gene, my only complaint is that every knife after this is only going to get better and lose that "built from necessity" look. I get kinda the same feeling from this blade as I do when I find some authentic, handmade, tribal knife hidden in the corner of an overpriced antique store. Like someone already said, soooooo much has happened in the making of this knife and you can trace it all back through the scars of his hard work. I'm glad he entered this POS. (with all due respect, of course)

I am a total sucker for honest expression and this type of raw workmanship is right up my alley... no, Tony... not THAT alley... that one is strictly reserved for you, sweety.

Rick
    May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.

Gene's knife and a couple of others that will not be going home to their makers will be getting and extended beating this weekend on a minimal gear camping trip.

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    Gene's knife and a couple of others that will not be going home to their makers will be getting and extended beating this weekend on a minimal gear camping trip.
    Your damn skippy! I will be beating the SNOT outta that ugly duckling right there!
    Mike, thanks for all your hard work, and fantastic skills with the camera!! man, your a big part of this community, not just in stature either!
    Sometimes I play the tool, sometimes I play with one (my own of course, sorry Rick)
    Guys, thanks for the kind words. I would have really liked to have had more time, I know I have a better finished knife in me, but time wasnt on my side with this one. Overall, I love the knife, I hated to part with it, and I think its gonna spend some time with Daddy in the woods from now on.
    I will work out a couple of kinks, and get some decent steel, and give it another go..OH, and the sheath was made in about 30 minutes, from another sheath..thats why it looks like doo doo.

Quote Originally Posted by gunknifenut View Post
    Your damn skippy! I will be beating the SNOT outta that ugly duckling right there!
    Umm, yeah.... about your knife.....

Gene, find ways to improve without sacrificing too much of that raw look and you are all set, bro. Great job.

Rick
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com
    rickmarchand@wildertools.com

Quote Originally Posted by gunknifenut View Post
    OH, and the sheath was made in about 30 minutes, from another sheath..thats why it looks like doo doo.
    I wouldn't call the sheath doo doo, bot how about umm....

Yeah I guess "doo doo" wil work...

However the knife for a 1/4" thick beast, didn't do too bad at all. It held more than it's own in the performance dept.

click to play

I can definitely tell my brother from another mother,Geno, made that hunk of steel. I can't wait for you to get back to Texas so we can start crankin' out some metal madness....and general debauchery.

I also have a medium Nessie design I ground out of some crappy 303 stainless that I need to send you.........I figure you could use it for a template,Geno.

The AA Forge knife.

Big Mike

Thanks for the great pictures Mike!
    Last edited by AA Forge; 02-17-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information