Thread: ontario ranger afghan or esee 4?

ontario ranger afghan or esee 4?

ADVERTISEMENT
    the ranger is cheaper and thicker but i hear amazing things about the esee, is it worth the extra money?

ive also had my eye on the becker bk2 for a while, but i wanna make sure i get best quality i can in my budget and if going to the higher end of it is necessary thats fine, but the bk2 seems sick and cheap!.. i want them all but i cant, at least not yet. any suggestions?

think your just talking a little better handle material and maybe a better paint job. other than hype i cant imagine why someone would spend over a $100 on a knife with basic cheap carbon steel.

Quote Originally Posted by bada61265 View Post
    think your just talking a little better handle material and maybe a better paint job. other than hype i cant imagine why someone would spend over a $100 on a knife with basic cheap carbon steel.
    Basic cheap carbon steel? Obviously you don't own an ESEE so you shouldn't comment on them.

Without a doubt get the esee. The rowen heat treat will amaze you. I can use my esee 4 all day batoning wood and other chores and it'll still shave hair, after many hours of use.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTideShooter View Post
    Basic cheap carbon steel? Obviously you don't own an ESEE so you shouldn't comment on them.

Without a doubt get the esee. The rowen heat treat will amaze you. I can use my esee 4 all day batoning wood and other chores and it'll still shave hair, after many hours of use.
    Agreed! I sold off my RC-4 and kept my RC-3 MIL cuz I liked the sheath a lot better and the handle is the same size. Rowen 1095 is the bomb.

Just read Esee's guarantee - that's worth the cost of a survival knife by itself, although I must admit it would be hard to ship it in for replacement from the rain forest or the Himalayas if your your RC-4 breaks.

I just got my esee 3 yesterday and liked it so much I ordered an esee 5 right now. They are amazing. feels great holding it....it feels like an extension of my hand. Highly recommend an esee.

ESEE is the best knife in the business for the money.

I've never had an ESEE, so I cannot give a true comparsion, but I can say that the OKC Ranger lineup has steel that has undoubtly received an excellent ht. I would suggest the RD-4 over the Afghan as I like the clip point more than the drop point. The RD-4 is made from 5160 carbon steel, and I think the Afghan is also, though I think that some of the Ranger lineup has 1095 carbon steel.

Get the Becker!

ESEE-3 or 4 for sure. Besides what other people have said, you're not just buying a knife, you're buying a system. Part of the awesomeness of these knives is the quality and versatility of the sheath system.

Also, thicker isn't always better - the thicker the blade, the less efficiently it slices. Since I find myself slicing more than anything else, I got an ESEE-3 since it's thinner than the 4, but the design and the amazing heat treat still allow me to use the knife in ways I'd shy away from with other knives.

Thread Information