Thread: How to use a lanyard on a knife

How to use a lanyard on a knife

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey guys,

What's the proper way of attaching a lanyard that is secure in your hands if you accidentally slip?

This video goes into it a little bit but doesn't cover much about attaching a lanyard to the bottom of the knife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU__hqhUM6Q

Cow hitch works well or feed the cord through the lanyard hole before you make the lanyard and make the lanyard already attached to the knife.

I say make it removable. Then you can swap them around whenever you want. I made mine on the knife and wish I didn't cause I would have to cut it off.

Quote Originally Posted by freedoom View Post
    Cow hitch works well or feed the cord through the lanyard hole before you make the lanyard and make the lanyard already attached to the knife.
    I'm having trouble picturing this. Where does the cow hitch go? And how does it secure your hand?

Is this it?
    http://www.howcast.com/videos/60-How...Cow-Hitch-Knot

We always use a simple loop of paracord and let it go around the wrist. Then if you drop the knife , machete, whatever it just drop below the wrist and stays there. If you are in water or a rough environment you really can't lay the knife or machete down every time you need both hands to work. When we are building rafts and such with machetes it is the way to get work done. You can work with the machete then just let it drop while using both hands to tie vines, handle logs then just grab the handle below the wrist and you have your machete again to do work with it.

I think the woven lanyards might be a way to have an extra length of paracord handy in case you need it for something but beyond that I don't see the utility for them.

Tie a knot in a length of paracord to make a loop. feed the paracord loop through the lanyard hole of the knife. tuck the end of the loop through itself and pull tight. you now have a lanyard attached with a cow hitch.

Thanks Mike for the tips. Those are good points so I think I'll try to make sure I keep lanyards handy on most of my knives.

@freedoom - nice pics!

Tie a knot in a length of paracord to make a loop. feed the paracord loop through the lanyard hole of the knife. tuck the end of the loop through itself and pull tight. you now have a lanyard attached with a cow hitch.
    Another name for that knot is the "lark's head" knot.

Another +1 for the cow hitch.

My lanyards always get wet and gunky so its nice to be able to take them off easily - this is why the cow hitch rules...

I dont care for all those fancy box stitches on the end bc they just get even more wet and collect crud - I just end it with a simple not as in the above picture.

...as for me, when you want a good laugh, you will find me, in a fine state, fat and flourishing, a true of hog of Epicurus' herd...
    RAT Pack #159
    ~> Click for Busse Price Guide!!! <~

I have a lanyard on my RC5 and made it just the right length that I can choke down on the handle to chop better with it

This is my method. Don't expect anything fancy. It is just simple, adjustable and functional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tQjLu2mee8

I like to use a lanyard in the fashion of this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9fuu...layer_embedded

Sorta the point being of it, you put the lanyard around your thumb and wrap it around the back of your hand. Should the knife slip out of your hand, this way it angles away from you and lessens the chance of injury. If you've got it around your wrist and depending upon the length of the lanyard, it could act in sorta pendulum fashion and come back and bite the crap out of your or worse.

Lots of lanyard styles out there. The post above from Freedoom though with the "cow hitch" style is what I do for all my knives though when I need a lanyard. Very simple. Easy on, easy off.

Thread Information