Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic review- Spyderco bushcraft G10.

Basic review- Spyderco bushcraft G10.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Alrighty, here we go! I was going to go out hiking today to test my new sprderco bushcraft, but as i was gearing up by the door, my two year old son came up to me and started putting his boots on, insisting he was coming with me...At this point my heart turned to mush as i knew if i spent my time with him in the backyard instead of by myself out in the boonies that i would be cultivating his own love for the outdoors...my mind was made..out to the backyard i went with my little son in tow!

i brought out my wetterlings forest axe and wildlife hatchet ( AWESOME!!!) as well as my Seal pup elite and of course, the new bushcrafter...I also bought a new firesteel, the UST strikeforce..another awesome product..

here are some pics.

So, ive been suffering from cabin fever already and was excited to get a fire going so that my son would have a place to warm up as he tried to climb "a mountain" which was in fact my snow shelter.. I used some dried grass i found and some dry leaves that were still on the branches of one of the trees in the backyard as tinder, thee took a spark right away and i stoked up the fire!

I love the log cabin style of fire building...it is simple, burns hot, has a good source of air supply and i have always ended up with a nice bed of coals afterward for cooking!

i made a featherstick with my wildlife hatchet, its pretty sharp...

then i tried one with my seal pup...with the factory edge, it did alright, but i wasnt impressed. It felt like i was useing a chisel..off to the sharpmaker!

About this time i was getting ready to try the new bushcraft out, but my son was now thoroughly intrigued by what i was doing and wouldnt stay out of the way, then he started to throw my firewood all over the place..I just laughed at him, put my knife back in the house and played with him for a while.

firewood.

One of my maxpedition bags, Seal pup elite attached to one side. I love this bag.

My son sliding down the snowshelter to be!

So basically, my wife came out and we all had fun, then my kid was tired so into the house we all go and he passes out... Perfect...spyderco time..

A man with his priorities straight...you are a good man! Taking time with your family is NEVER wasted time! Way to go!

Ron

Exclamation

i had some dry mountain ash from this summer in my den, as well as from fresh cut douglas fir ,so i gather the bits of wood up and got ready to start trying out the knew knife.

First off, this knife is a powerful cutter, and the blade promotes control in all aspects of its use..I was and am very, very impressed..useing this knife is easy... here is a picture of some hair thin shavings

next up was making some cross cuts. I nailed them first try and the two pieces fit together nicely.

Everything with this knife seems perfect to me, the handle is very comfortable and i found it easy to hold in all positions. I now made some fethersticks, i stopped after the first one...no need to try again..

This knife bites into wood easily too, typical of the scandi grind.

Next up i split one of the pieces of wood by hand as i needed some thinner pieces for a different project. The geometry of the knife made this comfortable and easy to do.

Thats all i did in the first part of my review..i was to take it out into the bush to try it out. I am sorry that these pics were taken inside on my kitchen counter, but i couldnt bail on my little guy today! Tomorrow, or possibly later this week when i am back home ( British Columbia) for christmas i will do an outdoor review for all of you.

If you dont own this knife yet or own a bushcraft knife ata ll, i highly suggest it..the G10 is smooth to touch, but is secure in your hand even when wet..i dont know how much retention you will have if the handle has blood on it from processing game or fish but it seems just fine to me.

The sheath, although very basic in design, retains the knife very well. When i did the retention test my knife did not come out of its sheath at all..what more could you ask for?

As far as the whole " tactial bushcraft" term associated with this knife, it doesnt mean anything...This knife is FUNCTIONAL. Not tactical in any way..unless you consider the dark G10 scales tactical..whatever.

Beautiful , functional knife that IMO is worth the money ( I paid 219.00 Canadian shipped to my door). Spyderco nailed it this time.

-G1

This knife is a wonderful product, the fit, finnish and function is without flaw

Last edited by Gaurdian_A1; 12-18-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Props on cultivating your sons interests!

Thanks for giving us some review on that spyder
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by unit View Post

Thanks for giving us some review on that spyder
    My thoughts as well
    Siegle Knife Expert----
    If you have one you want to buy,sell or trade--contact me

I hope to add too to the Spydie Bushcraft review, after i head out Sunday with it....

intended to go woods todays, but the GF's boy apparently started several fires at school, inside the building on Friday. So today was spent "dealing with it".

tomorrow is ME TIME & KNIFE DAY for me, expect lots of pics of the Spyderco Bushcraft in action!

Great Pics GUARDIAN_A1! glad you and HIWA got one of these knives

Quote Originally Posted by Bushman5 View Post
    I hope to add too to the Spydie Bushcraft review, after i head out Sunday with it....

intended to go woods todays, but the GF's boy apparently started several fires at school, inside the building on Friday. So today was spent "dealing with it".

tomorrow is ME TIME & KNIFE DAY for me, expect lots of pics of the Spyderco Bushcraft in action!

Great Pics GUARDIAN_A1! glad you and HIWA got one of these knives
    Brutal buddy, that sucks! Guess you shouldnt have showed him how to use a firesteel and fatwood eh? LOL, no seriously, that blows. ANYWAY! I'm sure you will add to the review bushy, i was actually waiting for your review, but i figured you were busy with work and whatnot so i just went ahead and wrote one up. As you can tell i was supposed to go out today as well but hung out with my little guy instead..hopefully tomorrow i can GTFO and have some fun out in the trees.

Anyway buddy, i look forward to hearing your review!

Nice review, and the knife looks like a very practical one too,
    I just wonder how well it would work as an all around kind of
    knife, being as thick a blade, slicing must be a little less due
    to that but you gain strength for everything else, no stores
    about near me to give it a good look over, but tempted to
    try one just the same, thanks for the photos and the shot of
    your son reminded me of my oldest daughter, one of her first
    times on the snow, probably just over 2 years old maybe, she
    slid down a short steep slope at my inlaws house and promptly
    turned around and tried to slide back up the simple things in life eh?
    G2
    "The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
    Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1

Spyderco Bushcraft

Everyone seems to really like it, I want one and hope to get one early next year.
    RickJ

time spent with young children is the most valuable thing in this world. children that know love give love back & this is something this dear earth is in short supply. thanks for a great review. once the molding process is passed the die is set --most times for the rest of their life.--dennis

Which model Maxpedition is that?
    Dennis Bible

Id like to try the spyderco out looks like a nice blade

Great review!

Really great review and awesome pictures, thanks!

Hi Gaurdian,

Thanx much for the review and great pics.

Great family values. We like to see that. It's good for our countries.

sal

Spyderco Bushcraft G10? Thanks for bringing it's attributes to my attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by unit View Post
    Plus one here. He'll be part of the next crop of outdoorsmen thanks to you.
    -Bruce

I love my BushcraftUK in G10

Hello !

Thank you for your great review !
    I really enjoyed it.

Here is my little glimpse of that great knife which desserves a real following.

Happy holidays !
    Cheers
    Nemo
    Last edited by Nemo; 12-28-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Great pics and review.

Anyone have a source for these?

Thanks!

I enjoyed your review, thanks. I bought one of the maple-handled seconds and it has seen plenty of use this year. It remains a favourite tool, though I don't like the sheath.

I can't justify getting a G10-handled knife as well, though.

Are you a salesman? Cause I'am sold on buying this knife, great review budd!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information