Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strider concerns

Cool Strider concerns

ADVERTISEMENT
    I am concerned about the break in period for a Strider SMF.
    First of all do they actually get easier to unlock the blade over time? If so, obviously I realize it depends on the usage, but does this take days, weeks, or months? Are there cases when they don't break in? Secondly, which would be better oil, fluorinated grease or neither to help action? And finially since I am new to this I was wondering if once you oil or grease a knife and that area appears black should this be wiped off or left on? My instincts tell me to wipe off?

Blog Entries
    If the knife is a user, I don't worry about oil marking the metal.

A framelock can be hard to unlock when the metal to metal contact of titanium to steel galls. Take a pencil and scribble on the lockface to lubricate it. This should eliminate a lot of the stiffness.

The pivot action will break in pretty quickly. I disassemble and wipe down the parts with Tuff-Cloth. This cleans out any grit that might have collected in there.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RevDevil View Post
    Read through this
    Awesome. TMI !!!

Blog Entries

they smooth out over time,strider does not use washers so it is g-10 to metal..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by THE PUNISHER View Post
    Wot?
    Maybe your does not have them, but both my SnG and PT do.

Esav and RevDevil,

Thanks - I will try the suggestions. I am new to bladeforums and just now starting a small personal collection of knives. I definitely have gotten the bug!

Blog Entries
    both mine SNG and SMF do have bronze washers .

Having voided the warranty by disassembling, cleaning and re-lubing my SnG, I can confirm that it has two PB washers.

It doesn't void the warranty to take a Strider apart. If you mess something up and have to send it in for them to put it together for you they'll charge you. The warranty should be intact for the future though.

My SnG took a few weeks to break in. It does have PB washers as well. He might have been talking about how the G10 side doesn't have any liners.
    Last edited by mongomondo; 12-25-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mongomondo View Post
    It doesn't void the warranty to take a Strider apart. If you mess something up and have to send it in for them to put it together for you they'll charge you. The warranty should be intact for the future though.

My SnG took a few weeks to break in. It does have PB washers as well. BBQ might have been talking about how the G10 side doesn't have any liners.
    +1 on both counts

The Stonewashed blades break in faster than the coated ones do.

Once they are broken in they are smooth as butter.

And here are forementioned washers
    You can see they are different between PT and SnG

PT:

SnG:

All in all Strider's are knives you need not to be afraid of taking apart, fixed little issues, lubed and assembled back. Enjoy!

Gress, Thank you - very helpful! Anyone - I'm concerned with a new SMF - should I take apart and grease to loosen up or can one simply oil from the outside? I guess I'm confused on whether to oil or grease it to help with the loosing up the action. Maybe it is meant to be tight - I don't know?

All my Strider Folders have washers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LIMELITE View Post
    Gress, Thank you - very helpful! Anyone - I'm concerned with a new SMF - should I take apart and grease to loosen up or can one simply oil from the outside? I guess I'm confused on whether to oil or grease it to help with the loosing up the action. Maybe it is meant to be tight - I don't know?
    just few drops of motor oil , and play with it open -close .. open -close .... more you use it better it will get .

Quote Originally Posted by trix2004 View Post
    just few drops of motor oil , and play with it open -close .. open -close .... more you use it better it will get .
    When it comes to Striders and lube I say less is more. Mine have always run better almost dry

I double this. Actually I only use a tiny drop of Miltec in between the washers and the blade. The framelock is better just dry or with a bit of a pencil scribble.

Quote Originally Posted by Gress View Post
    SnG:

All in all Strider's are knives you need not to be afraid of taking apart, fixed little issues, lubed and assembled back. Enjoy!
    Wow, is that all there is to taking apart a Strider? I wonder why people have such a hard time putting it back together properly that they had to explicitly say that there was a charge for reassembling it properly.

Is there some sort of trick with the lockbar where you could mess up the lockup?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information