Thread: Buck 305

Buck 305

ADVERTISEMENT
    Can anyone give me some info on a Buck 305? My dad gave it to me some time in the mid 80's.

This is what is shown:

Buck
    U.S.A.

Thanks!!

Jim

Buck contracted with the Camillus Co. to produce the first 305s in 1968. This one was made by the Camillus Co. '74 to '85. In '85 Buck began producing there own 305s. Nice Knife!!
    BCCI LIFE MEMBER #2113

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." --Patrick Henry

Thanks Mb!

Hey, would anyone know what the handle is made of on the 305? Thanks!

And blade material too?

Hope I'm not asking for too much!
    Last edited by ono724; 12-29-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: minor addition

I was gonna wait for one my tribe to answer, but they may be watching one of the ball games....which is what I am gonna do shortly.

As stated these are Buck 305 contracted to Camillus to make, as Buck did not have space or equipment to make them at that time. Lots of makers contracted a knife or three to Camillus to make for them.
    The blade steel is a 'best' guess. As there may have been some variation on orders. I would call it most likely 440a. A little softer then the highly thought of (in some circles) 440c. C holds an edge better than A.
    The scale material is 'Delrin'. See the link below provided by 'Mr.' Codger 64'. Basically a tough workable plastic resin. The bolster or ends are nickle/silver and the liners are brass. In only slightly different form they continue to be made today. I call them Sunday or suit knives.
    300Bucks

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Delrin
    Last edited by 300Bucks; 12-29-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Thank you 300, I appreciate your taking the time to explain everything.

Those old 305s are very cool knives, I have one just like yours. It is a small, serpentine pen knife. A gentleman's knife. Your knife should have a single backspring and spacer/ catch bit. It probably also has asymmetrically ground blades and a nail nick for easy access to the nail nick on the secondary blade. It also has a carbon steel backspring. At first glance, it looks identical to current production 305s, but on closer inspection, there are many differences. It is much more difficult and expensive to make two bladed knives with a single backspring than it is to simply use two springs, which is what the current production knives use. The blades on the old ones are much thicker at the pivot than they are now, and the single spring is much thicker than either of the springs on the new ones. The new knives are also a bit heavier than the old ones.

I like the 305 a lot, it is a very nice pattern. Sort of Buck's answer to the Case Peanut. Although the single backspring 305s are more complicated and aesthetically interesting than those in current production, I don't think they're any better, from a functional standpoint.

I don't quite agree with this information - I was given this exact same knife for my 20th birthday in Sept 1962 which is 6 years prior to your statement - even though the official buck site states 1967 production date I still have to question their records - my knife is exactly as pictured with the upper word buck the middle is 305 and the bottom is U.S.A. as shown in the pic - Again I receiveved mine on Sep 26 1962 so I am confused on the production dates as stated.

Doug,

I am afraid something is wrong with your estimate. None of the 300 Series knives were produced in 1962. The first produced was the 301 under contract to Schrade in 1966. The 303 and 305 came later and had significant differences from your knife. If possible, why don't you show a picture of your knife?

Bert

Doug, Welcome to the Buck forum. Hope you will continue to visit and comment.

NO 305s were being made in 1962. In fact no series 300's had been made that year. First came 301s and 303s made by Schrade then the Buck contract was given to Camillus, who eventually made your knife. The first 305 made by Camillus was at the end of the 60's had brass rivets in their scales. Matt was correct in his date quote above, No bull just fact. As much as you would like to think you got yours on that special date, man, it just could not have happened. If you still had the box and papers that could have been inside they would have had a date on them and further proof would be the address of the factory as it moved to a new location a couple of times. You don't have to just believe just me, there will be half a dozen Buck knife collectors here on the Buck forum to back me up. If its important to you, go to the search function and look for 305 threads and see if any additional information is available. You could even call the customer service number at the Buck factory and ask to speak to Joe Houser, who is Chuck Bucks son-in-law.
    I want to encourage you to visit this forum and interact with the nice guys that come here to talk Buck knives. Just giving you the straight info.

300Bucks, Moderator

Here is a old photo showing the first 305s made by Camillus in the early 70's, they have brass rivets in the scales and the tangs are stamped Made In USA with 305 stamped on the reverse tang.

This is the first 305 , made from 68 to 71.

Oops Bert types faster than me......
    Last edited by 300Bucks; 11-10-2015 at 07:35 PM.

Thank you for the information - I possibly could be mistaken on the date and will recheck my dates - My father gave me the knife but that is 50 years ago so I need to look into that - I could have sworn it was for my 20th birthday but now I need to do a little research - I have the paperwork in the original box but I dont see a date on it. I am going to check with the buck factory as you suggested;

Thank you for the reply
    As I told 300Bucks
    - I possibly could be mistaken on the date and will recheck my dates - My father gave me the knife but that is 50 years ago so I need to look into that - I could have sworn it was for my 20th birthday but now I need to do a little research - I have the paperwork in the original box but I dont see a date on it. I am going to check with the buck factory as he suggested;

Thread Information