I wanted to post this over here as this forum gets more traffic and I'm really intersted in getting feedback.
Alright fellas - I saw where someone was selling a really cool thumb disc for Emersons which was the end of a shell casing. I think I remember it being somewhere around $150 or something like that. I then remember seeing on a forum somewhere that someone did it themselves so I'm trying it now. I don't remember which forum it was that I saw it on but I am in no way claiming this was my idea, I'm just merely trying it - somewhat successfully...
I grabbed a couple 9mm shells and got to work. I ruined a couple trying to drill out the end of it. I was able to drill out the silver one ok enough to get the screw through. I then moved on to cutting the end off the shell. I was quite surprised to see thick the metal was at the end of the shell. It was really hard to get a straight cut using the cutting disc on the dremel tool. I then tried to get the cut to look decent with a stone disc on the dremel. All in all - I'm happy that it fits perfectly and that when I finally get the cuts straight and looking good that I'll have an awesome finished product. For now I'll settle with this being the first go at it.
I also picked up an extra pocket clip so I could take the coating off. Much to my surprise the clip now has a copperish tone to it that would look a lot better with a brass shell. The next one I'll try will be with a brass shell.
If anyone has experience cutting shells or more experience than me with metal work please speak up and give me some advice in how to get this cut more straight and even. Thanks!
I'll shut up now - here's some pics.
How it started
After the cut
Looks great! I posted about making one a few months ago (might be the thread you were talking about): http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=785063
I was surprised too on how thick the base of the casing is. I used a belt sander on the back of my headstamp to get a nice smooth surface. If you dont have access to that, maybe try using a flat file to even it out.
Hi myright -
I think it turned out well!
I see that you drilled through the spent primer.
Would the screw hold the casing end to the knife if the primer were pressed out (as if you were reloading the casing)? That would eliminate the need to drill the hole, since the hole and flange are built into the casing.
I did not see where you said how you were cutting the casing. I would use a dremel to cut it off and then sand it down to the base (or file it as mentioned by Resist).
Nice looking mod - I had not seen that one before.
Thanks for the pictures -
best regards -
Yours looks much better - I really like the look of the brass instead of silver.
I'll keep trying because I really like this one and want to get it right.
On a side note - I forgot to clean the clip before I put it back on the knife so I've got to pull it back off to get the residue off so I don't get all my pants dirty.
Hi myright -
If you like, I can press out a few primers for you - that is a normal part of re-loading ammo. With the right tool, it's a snap to do.
best regards -
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)