Thread: Husqvarna 30-06

Husqvarna 30-06

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello All,

I have recently inherited my Dads Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Nitro 30-06 and have a question about dates are serial numbers. The rifle is marked with two serial numbers one on the barrel and one on the bottom of the receiver, there is also an engraved 4 digit number on the bolt. Could this mean that the barrel is not the original? Were the actions and barrels mixed and matched on these guns?

Thanks for any info!

Whole Gun:

Bolt and Trigger:

Top View - Bolt:

Entire Bolt:

Barrel Stamp #1:

Barrel Stamp #2:

Bottom of receiver/action:
    Last edited by westcoaster; 01-21-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Addition of Photos

Normally, you only run into mismatched serial numbers on military surplus boltactions. The bolts will be serial numbered (sometimes with only the last 4 digits), and the action will have a serial number. These numbers should match. Collector value is less if it isn't all matching numbers.

This shouldn't even come up with civillian rifles. Was the rifle bought used?

You will get better answers by posting this on thehighroad.org's gun board.

Sorry for my limited help. Good luck.

Some military rifles have the final (mfr) inspectors number
    stamped or engraved in an inconspicuous place other than
    the receiver.
    As said, the four digits on the bolt should match four digits
    (usually the last four) in the serial number on the receiver.

If its in 30.06 its been rebarreled. It should be 6.5x55mm.

Quote Originally Posted by mora the explorer View Post
    If its in 30.06 its been rebarreled. It should be 6.5x55mm.
    How do you figure? I've seen a few Huskie Nitro rifles in 30-06, was there a mass caliber change or something?

\
    Rat Pack #565

I used to collect mil surp and all the Husqvarnas I've seen were in 6.5x55mm.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but couldn't the OPs rifle be for instance a model 4100 from the 30s-40s-50s when the nitro term was still being used on smokeless powder Huskies. Is it the 3 serial numbers that make it definitely a military rifle? I can't say I ever check for multiple serials on the ones I handled.

Hope the questions aren't irritating, just trying to expand the Ol' knowledge base.

Trying to answer my own questions here: http://www.skydevaaben.com/index.xml
    Last edited by EricV; 01-19-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    Rat Pack #565

Hey guys thanks for the input! As far as I know this gun has always been caliberd in 30-06, mil-surp or civilian I don't know will have to ask my dad more about it's origins. I did a bit of google-ing and have determined the receiver/action SN dates it from 1938-1939, and the barrel 1954-1955 if the tables are correct. As per comments above the digits on the bolt nob do match the last four of the barrel SN.

Thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    Hey guys thanks for the input! As far as I know this gun has always been caliberd in 30-06, mil-surp or civilian I don't know will have to ask my dad more about it's origins. I did a bit of google-ing and have determined the receiver/action SN dates it from 1938-1939, and the barrel 1954-1955 if the tables are correct. As per comments above the digits on the bolt nob do match the last four of the barrel SN.

Thanks again for the help!
    Pictures would help. Husqvarna has made sporting rifles, shotguns and handguns from their beginning as an arms manufacturer.

As far as serial numbers go, you can't date it by checking the date of their military rifles. Early Husqvarna bolt action sporting rifles used FN actions. Later, they made their own. What, if anything does it say on the action?

It is fairly common for European rifles to have a serial number on the barrel near the receiver. It may or may not be the serial number if the receiver. Again, pictures would help a lot. It would also help to know if it had a Model 95 action or a Model 98 action.

Does it look anything like this?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
    “There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.”

Thanks Uffda I will snap some pics and post em up tonight

Thats a nice rifle UffDa.

I guess people want to know, " Is it a '96 Swedish Mauser sporter, rebarreled in .30/06, from the original(?!) 6.5x55 military chambering."

If it looks like the above pic, it is probably a nice small ring Mauser, Model of 1896.

Need pics to know. Be absolutely sure you have a pretty blond Scandinavian girl holding it!

Now with photos!

That is a commercial Husqvarna. The pictures are a bit dark, but I can see the safety and floorplate release. The serial number on the barrel is the serial number of the rifle. The numbers on the bolt should match the last four on the barrel. If it doesn't, it might be a good idea to have a gunsmith check the headspace, but I can't imagine anyone swapping bolts on a commercial rifle.

Is there anything on the left side of the receiver? If not, then the receiver was made by Husqvarna.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
    “There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.”

Yes, sorry about the lighting in the photos, not the greatest. Also a yes, the last 4 numbers on the bolt do match the barrel. The left side of the receiver is clear. So does this mean the bolt and barrel are the same age and the receiver are different? Also as this is a civilian rifle, can the serial numbers be used for dating?

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    Yes, sorry about the lighting in the photos, not the greatest. Also a yes, the last 4 numbers on the bolt do match the barrel. The left side of the receiver is clear. So does this mean the bolt and barrel are the same age and the receiver are different? Also as this is a civilian rifle, can the serial numbers be used for dating?
    They are all the same age. As I said, it is common for the serial numbers on European rifles to be on the barrel. It would be difficult to get the exact age of the rifle from the serial number. From the type of scope and mount, I would guess that it was made around 1950.

Here is a good source of info on Swedish sporting rifles. You may have to register to look at the pictures.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-action-rifles

Thread Information