Thread: Reference on maker's marks

Reference on maker's marks

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm thinking about getting an old axe head to restore but I'm unsure of what I'm looking at when in antique stores. Is there a website of JUST pictures of maker's marks for quick reference? If not, maybe we can start a sticky thread in which members could dig out their old axes then take a pic of the mark and put the name of manufacturer below it. Is that feasable?

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I'm thinking about getting an old axe head to restore but I'm unsure of what I'm looking at when in antique stores. Is there a website of JUST pictures of maker's marks for quick reference? If not, maybe we can start a sticky thread in which members could dig out their old axes then take a pic of the mark and put the name of manufacturer below it. Is that feasable?

I second the idea of a maker marks thread.

mmmm.

Makers Mark :drool

Unfortunately, a lot of information on axes has been lost through history. You can try this site. They have a good amount of pictures of old axe labels and advertisements. If you have a specific mark in ind, I can try to dig something out, although I'm far from an expert on the subject.

Thread Information