Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Esee /Junglas vs Buck/Hood Hoodlum

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hopefully I will own both of these one day but I think I will start with the junglas.

the buck is definitely interesting. i wonder how a becker bk9 stacks up to these two.

I like the idea, but that hole on the spine killed it for me. I guess pot-lifters will like it.

This thread is hilarious...everyone that loves the Junglas hasn't so much as handled a Hood knife, those that have like it...I have a Hoods Woods designed TOPS Anaconda 7.5 its a great knife and at .25" thick is very strong, properly balanced, the notches are not weak points, they have no bearing on the blade in real world use. I have had a Junglas, ESEE 5, SOD, Dogfather, BWM, Basic 11 and boatload of choppers. I kept only the Hood designed knife, that should say something.

I don't have either but I stumbled on to these vids with regards to the notch on the blade -

Dang! Can't embed Part II. Just click below -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsgAiCae-IM
    Last edited by untamed; 07-05-2011 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Zeke View Post
    This thread is hilarious...everyone that loves the Junglas hasn't so much as handled a Hood knife
    I agree. If you haven't at least used both knives you really should not comment on which one is better/you like better.

Shouldn't that be common sense?

When I would carry a knife like that, I also pack a Saw, so for me length for batoning is more important than chopping. So the weight saved by by Hoodlum would make it the better choice for me.

Sad note to the Ron Hood saga - he passed away a week or two back. His knives will continue to sell, of course. I have been looking one over locally - I have yet to baton anything larger than a limb. That has always been done with my old Plumb camp hatchet. I guess the new Buck fb will be like the Simonich/Buck 895 - another 'commemorative' purchase here. I cannot imagine a knife need for anything more massive than my recent BK2 or older RC-5. In my youth, my Dad's old WWII KaBar was 'enough'.

Stainz

I own the Junglas and have no interest in the Hoodlum. It seems to have a lot going on, design-wise. I prefer a simpler approach myself. The Junglas is a really well put together knife and backed by an awesome warranty.

Bucks warrenty is not as good as esee. It covers most all things, but they might not cover things like...

The tip snapped because you used it as a pry bar ( esee does cover this)

They should cover most anything else, they just might give you a little attitude about "abusing" your knife....

Every knife company should give a little attitude about abusing a knife, especially if you snap the tip using it as a pry bar. YMMV.

junglas without question all the cool looking parts of the hoodlem will be put to shame by the superior and fit and finish of the the junglas not to mention the way the handle and balance feels in your hand. the size is another thing the junglas feels more like a short sword than a large kinfe. i own both and to make a long story short the esee is feels top shelf the buck does not. i love both these knivesso i say get both but if you can only have one or one first i would go esee its a beast of a blade

Just my 2-cents, if I may say... I personally carry this sized knife primarily for chopping smaller-sized trees..and batoning for fire-wood.... so being heavier the junglas would win, of course...more power in the swing for chopping too... for making shelter I couldn't see a problem with the junglas as I pair mine up with an izula2 I dont really see anything you couldn't do if you have a junglas and izula 2..? the izula for fine-detailed smaller wood-work or notching in your shelter rods maybe?.. and the junglas for gathering the lumber to build your shelter.. I probablly would carry the junglas in my back-bag though... Might carry an esee 4 on my side?..

haha esee all the way..
    "Live for nothing, or die for something."- John Rambo

E-mail me at aaj4000@yahoo.com

Love my Junglas. The weight, it just feels right...
    E.S.P. PNG

with Ron hoods tragic passing, this blade (but if you want to get more specific, it would be the "punk") is sort of his swan song. As such I think it edges the junglas in terms as a collectors piece, that and it looks rad.

In terms of performance though, I think if you're looking for a no nonsense chopper then the junglas is a better bet, but if there will be more woodcraft or hacking down foliage, etc, then the hoodlum.

something big in the specs that was overlooked is the warranties. to me one of the most noteworthy things about the junglas is its amazing warranty. ESEE covers it against everything. even misuse! that's pretty amazing in a blade you'll be putting to hard work

between the two? thats just too tough a call

Gotta get me a Junglas........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information