Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masters of defense

Masters of defense

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey guys, I have been considering a new tactical blade. while I was at a local gun shop I seen these Masters of Defence knives. I have never heard of them but judging by the price and the materials from which they are made they seen to be of the highest quality. Does anyone have any experience with these knives? If so could you give me the details of your opinions? Thanks

I see them as something like a Wilson Tactical, Tops, 5.11, Fox, and Bladetech type of manufacturer.

I've got 2-3 MODs. They were a very decent company, then they were bought by blackhawk, IIRC. It looks like their materials, particularly their blade steel choices, have gone downhill. Mod used to rely heavily on 154CM with cryo treatment, but Blackhawk redesigned several popular MODs with AUS8 instead, which may be a decent steel, but it definitely isn't on the level of 154CM in my experience. Just my $0.02.
    Up for trade: A new in pouch RAT TRAP, one of the last to "roll" off the assembly line. Would like to trade towards, an XM-18 3.5 Spanto flipper, an RCC, or a Crusader Forge Metro Tactical, a Fat Warden, or?. Users fine. Drop me a PM if interested, or to tell me I'm crazy.

Last I knew they were acquired by BLACKHAWK! and they shipped it all overseas. Fit, finish, materials, and workmanship went down the tubes.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Oh ok, ill stick with my Emersons in that case....thanks for the onfo.

Blog Entries
    They once were on par with Microtech.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the knives I cannot buy, the budget to buy ones I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
    http://www.youtube.com/CMFTWknives
    Support Your Local Outlaw Knifemaker!

I had one MOD, but I found the action to be gritty. When I opened the knife, it felt like there was sand in the pivot area. IMHO, Microtech is still the better one.

I presume these were designed for self defense, but in my opinion, their designs are more to look cool than to assist in SD.

Are you merely adept at self-defense, or are you a Master?

MOD knives are for Masters of Defense only. Any one else shouldn't even touch them. They are that tacti-awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by marcinek View Post
    Are you merely adept at self-defense, or are you a Master?

MOD knives are for Masters of Defense only. Any one else shouldn't even touch them. They are that tacti-awesome.

Touché sir. Up until now I had not realized the truth that my skill was limiting the capabilities of the knife, not the other way around.

I will train 6 hours a day until I obtain the skills necessary for its use...

Quote Originally Posted by Artfully Martial View Post

Touché sir. Up until now I had not realized the truth that my skill was limiting the capabilities of the knife, not the other way around.

I will train 6 hours a day until I obtain the skills necessary for its use...
    As well you should, Sir! Calling them "Masters of Defense" is not some marketing gimmick to suck in the mall ninjas! No siree Bob! Those MODs are for Masters of Defense only. They are not toys.

Just like Dark Ops. "Dark" operators only. Rigorously-trained super-secret high-speed killing machines only!

Legend has it that Dark Ops knives instinctively feel weakness and attempt to devour it. In the wrong hands, a Dark Ops knife is so deadly that it can literally turn on its unworthy user and slumber, for centuries if need be, awaiting its true master...

Ok, that's probably enough fun...we should let the OP get back to researching the knives.

And for what it's worth, I've never handled a MOD knife, so for all I know it could be epic.

The green smoke is what seeks out and devours weakness....

MOD knives were origially only designed by people who taught close quarter combat. Some of the designers were Massad Ayoob, Michael Janich, Duane Dieter ect. Thats why they were called Masters of Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfully Martial View Post
    Legend has it that Dark Ops knives instinctively feel weakness and attempt to devour it. In the wrong hands, a Dark Ops knife is so deadly that it can literally turn on its unworthy user and slumber, for centuries if need be, awaiting its true master...

Ok, that's probably enough fun...we should let the OP get back to researching the knives.

And for what it's worth, I've never handled a MOD knife, so for all I know it could be epic.
    WTF IS that?! Or, should I say WTF is THAT?! Is that a blade catcher or a bottle opener at the base? Why is it serrated in so many places? This knife is a stroke of genius, the mere pictures have caused fear and confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by strongondefense1911 View Post
    MOD knives were origially only designed by people who taught close quarter combat. Some of the designers were Massad Ayoob, Michael Janich, Duane Dieter ect. Thats why they were called Masters of Defense.
    Exactly what I'm saying!

Quote Originally Posted by strongondefense1911 View Post
    That's an impressive lineup, but I just don't see it. But that's one humble CQC guy's opinion versus the big names, so I suppose I'd take their authority over my own.

I'm hurt that you guys would compare dark ops to the "old" MOD. I maintain that they were a good company, until their downfall. I haven't seen too much good said about D.O. on day I'll have to pick one up and see how good it is for covertly deanimating envelopes, and packages, and maybe the odd zip tie.
    Up for trade: A new in pouch RAT TRAP, one of the last to "roll" off the assembly line. Would like to trade towards, an XM-18 3.5 Spanto flipper, an RCC, or a Crusader Forge Metro Tactical, a Fat Warden, or?. Users fine. Drop me a PM if interested, or to tell me I'm crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by marcinek View Post
    The green smoke is what seeks out and devours weakness....

hey, we're just joking. I've heard good things about the build quality, my only assertion was that, from my point of view of the characteristics that make a knife an SD or, heaven forbid, a "fighting knife," the MODs I've seen don't have it.

But again, maybe I missed something. Those are some talented people behind it. All of my knife training is old school anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information