Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESEE Fire kit new ferrorod.

ESEE Fire kit new ferrorod.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi this is my first post been looking around for a while as a guest and ive become an addict

The question is does any one know what glue is used to attach the ferrorod on the fire kit to the body, im looking to replace the rod with a longer one, ive read and seen that it melts with heat and heard its an epoxy but all the epoxy i have doesn't melt. So exactly what glue is used?

Not sure what is used, but it does let go with heat . I've used JB weld to replace the rods and haven't had a problem yet

cheers for the advice. does JB weld melt with heat?

Don't know at what temp JB Weld fails, but some JB Weld works on engine blocks, for a while. That stuff held part of my radiator together for months. You may not want to go so permanant.
    How are you applying the heat? Maybe just heat up the rod?

There are a lot of threads about guys wanting to replace the ferro rods in their ESEE kits. I can understand the desire, but I've used the fire kit several times and it produces a lot of sparks. Never had issues showering my tinder (that has to be a euphemism).

I'd say wait until you've used up the original ferro before you replace it.

Just a suggestion.

yer i was thinking that if i use a realy strong adhesive i wouldnt be able to replace the ferrorod again. i removed the original rod with a mini gas torch by heating the rod slightly. The original glue sets solid again when cool making it perfect for the job but i dont know what glue it is. if esee used the old threaded design then i could use a die to thread a new ferrorod.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fowler View Post
    There are a lot of threads about guys wanting to replace the ferro rods in their ESEE kits. I can understand the desire, but I've used the fire kit several times and it produces a lot of sparks. Never had issues showering my tinder (that has to be a euphemism).

I'd say wait until you've used up the original ferro before you replace it.

Just a suggestion.
    yer ive been playing around with it for a while i find it abit short and ive previously used other ferrorods which seem softer and strike better. i supose a harder ferrorod will go further providing it gives a good strike but i prefer a softer one. i will use up original one but i like to be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by THE NORTH View Post
    yer i was thinking that if i use a realy strong adhesive i wouldnt be able to replace the ferrorod again. i removed the original rod with a mini gas torch by heating the rod slightly. The original glue sets solid again when cool making it perfect for the job but i dont know what glue it is. if esee used the old threaded design then i could use a die to thread a new ferrorod.
    I'll dig around and see if i have some photos showing it, but,

ESEE still uses the same design as the old kits. There's a hole in the base of the handle. If you drill and tap the top of the rod, you can use a screw and tiny o-ring to hold it in place still.

I use gorilla glue to install the new rod

Quote Originally Posted by texastonydobbs View Post
    I use gorilla glue to install the new rod
    How easy is it to get out when the time comes?

I have a set ordered but haven't received it. I got some extra rod lengths for my bags as well.

dude. how many fires are you guys starting here? I'm a freaking pyro, and I've never HAD to replace a rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizwolf View Post
    dude. how many fires are you guys starting here? I'm a freaking pyro, and I've never HAD to replace a rod.
    My point exactly. But everyone has a preference and if someone wants to put a foot-long Going Gear rod on their ESEE I can see the appeal.

I heated the old one, looked like red locktite. Used jb quick on new stick. No probs so far.

Need to make 2 rods from 5/16 have 2 handles.
    Theses are handles I owned. Looking for something new

Its really time that the firesteel makers make a 1" x 12" firesteel for us woods people.

I would buy like 50 of them

Quote Originally Posted by Bushman5 View Post
    Its really time that the firesteel makers make a 1" x 12" firesteel for us woods people.

I would buy like 50 of them
    Perfect for those ultralight backpackers!

(I'd buy one too.)

I'm sure you've seen this, but Going Gear carries a 1/2" by 12" rod. Your grandkids will be throwing "globs" with that thing.

I have a ESEE fire kit with a 6" misch rod and another with a 4" misch rod b/c I want too

Quote Originally Posted by texastonydobbs View Post
    I have a ESEE fire kit with a 6" misch rod and another with a 4" misch rod b/c I want too
    What did you do to fix them in?

one I tapped and drilled using the supplied screw ,the other I used Gorilla glue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information