Thread: Tennessee knife laws question.....

Tennessee knife laws question.....

ADVERTISEMENT
    Ok our legal blade limit for the state is 4", I understand that and have no problem with that. My question is, does that also apply to parks, campgrounds, and hiking trails? I carry a ESEE 5 and have saw knives out there even larger and this got me to thinking.
    Last edited by low96hb; 02-25-2011 at 07:33 AM.

It's a good question. I have a couple of buddies that live there and we were just chatting about that. I'm pretty sure you can have a longer blade for camping, fishing, hunting but that makes me wonder if everyone who buys a >4" knife from Smoky Mountain Knife Works (or any of the many Chicom junk knife emporiums there in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, etc.) is breaking the law.

Well you have obviously read the TCA. I have not seen anything in there to amend the law if a person is on Govt land, etc.

I would suspect that it would be open to interpretation based on the circumstances. I personally would not worry about carrying a larger blade in the ways you describe, but if you stop at at a Gas station or Wal Mart on the way there or back.... well..... I'd leave it in the car.

39-17-1307 is the law the makes carrying a knife with a blade over 4" illegal. But, 39-17-1308 provides exceptions to this law. One such exception is
    (4) Incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity;

Quote Originally Posted by glistam View Post
    39-17-1307 is the law the makes carrying a knife with a blade over 4" illegal. But, 39-17-1308 provides exceptions to this law. One such exception is
    Vague stuff like that drives me nuts. What is 'other lawful activity'? Driving home from SMKW? Driving to church? Hiking?

---

Beckerhead #42

Fixed blade tactical knives

Is it legal in Tennessee to carry a fixed blade knife concealed? Thinking of getting the crk kommer IFB. It has a blade length of 3.8", so the length is good. But the law does not specify about fixed blades such as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap75 View Post
    Is it legal in Tennessee to carry a fixed blade knife concealed? Thinking of getting the crk kommer IFB. It has a blade length of 3.8", so the length is good. But the law does not specify about fixed blades such as this one.
    It just says "a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches." So if it's under 4" fixed or folder, it's legal.

One of the vague things in the law is that it says something about you have to have a good reason for carrying the knife. I'd have to read back over the law to support this.

If you are carrying concealed with the sole intent of going armed, I am pretty sure that it is a no go. Even with a CCP. I have had a carry permit for 15+ years and still had to get a certification permit to carry a ASP baton. But its going to be the officers call. I entered the post office in my town to mail a package with a Sebenza in my pocket. The only thing exposed was the pocket clip and got hassled by law enforcement just because he saw the clip. Told me I had no business having a knife inside the post office. And it was a small Sebenza at that. Unfortunately, I think ones appearance and age has alot to do with. Even though I am older (near 50), I have a shaved head and facial hair, 6ft.,210 lbs. Jeans and a Tshirt are standard issue for me. If I would have had on a button down shirt,tie and kakhis, probably nothing would have been said. Its all how you are seen by the officer and if he is in a decent mood. No I dont think this is universal, but thats how it is in my end of TN.
    [B]"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Quote Originally Posted by red1965 View Post
    If you are carrying concealed with the sole intent of going armed, I am pretty sure that it is a no go.
    Nope, only intent to go armed with a knife exceeding 4" blade is an offense.

Even with a CCP. I have had a carry permit for 15+ years ..
    15 years and you call it that? It's HCP you know. TN does not issue a "Concealed Carry Permit".
    and still had to get a certification permit to carry a ASP baton.
    Yes, of course, as going armed with any size "club" is illegal.

...I entered the post office in my town to mail a package with a Sebenza in my pocket. The only thing exposed was the pocket clip and got hassled by law enforcement just because he saw the clip. Told me I had no business having a knife inside the post office.
    Well, it's a federal law. Knife 2.5" and over in federal facility is a federal offense, not state. However, of course, local LEA is to enforce federal law also.

- OS

Thread Information