Thread: How does Elmax stack up vs other high performance stainless?

How does Elmax stack up vs other high performance stainless?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Title says it all, what is the consensus on elmax vs the more commonly used stainless steels like s30v, s90v, 154cm, vg10, etc ?

Is elmax a "super steel"?

I haven't come across much discussion or product using this steel.
    nice chatting with you...take care of yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
    Title says it all, what is the consensus on elmax vs the more commonly used stainless steels like s30v, s90v, 154cm, vg10, etc ?

Is elmax a "super steel"?

I haven't come across much discussion or product using this steel.

ELMAX is a Super Steel, very corrosion resistant with great edge holding and excellent toughness.

It will hold an edge longer than all the steels you listed except S90V.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    ELMAX is a Super Steel, very corrosion resistant with great edge holding and excellent toughness.

It will hold an edge longer than all the steels you listed except S90V.
    Thank you for that answer. Can anyone name a more common steel that compares to elmax in edgeholding? Or an approximate ranking of elmax edgeholding vs some of the other newer steels (zpd189, cts-xhp, m390, d20cv, etc)? I would like a bit more of an idea of where it falls in edge retention.

Quote Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
    Thank you for that answer. Can anyone name a more common steel that compares to elmax in edgeholding? Or an approximate ranking of elmax edgeholding vs some of the other newer steels (zpd189, cts-xhp, n690, d20cv, etc)? I would like a bit more of an idea of where it falls in edge retention.
    Here is a link to my testing thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=793481

ELMAX seems to rank surprisingly low based on what a lot of people have said about the steel. I know you said that you didn't rank the Phil Wilson ELMAX, but what ELMAX knife did you use in the chart?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
    ELMAX seems to rank surprisingly low based on what a lot of people have said about the steel. I know you said that you didn't rank the Phil Wilson ELMAX, but what ELMAX knife did you use in the chart?
    ZT 0551 at 60 HRC.

ELMAX is ranked right were it should be for a factory blade at 60 HRC.

You have to look at the steels that ranked higher than ELMAX and the HRC's.

Once we get into those we are talking about very high alloy content and or very high percentages of vanadium for the most part.
    Last edited by Ankerson; 03-08-2011 at 05:35 PM.

ZT 0551 at 60 HRC.

ELMAX is ranked right were it should be for a factory blade at 60 HRC.

You have to look at the steels that ranked higher than ELMAX and the HRC's.

Once we get into those we are talking about very high alloy content and or very high percentages of vanadium for the most part.
    Good point, there are a lot of rare supersteels in there. I just didn't expect it to end up in the same category as CPM-154. Is RC 62 a ridiculously high hardness for that steel? As in, a hardness that only a custom maker would HT CPM-154 to because production companies would be too worried about chipping?

Good point, there are a lot of rare supersteels in there. I just didn't expect it to end up in the same category as CPM-154. Is RC 62 a ridiculously high hardness for that steel? As in, a hardness that only a custom maker would HT CPM-154 to because production companies would be too worried about chipping?
    Yes 62 HRC is on the high side for CPM-154 and we will never see a production blade near that.

I used my Demko Custom because the blade grind and edge thickness is in line with most of the factory blades.

I doubt that's the case. High hardness like that would require cryo quenching and long tempering times. It's probably not as cost effective or time effective from a mass production standpoint, and there might be more "rejects" that didn't make it through the heat treat.

I don't think Andrew Demko would use a chippy steel in a hard use knife, and toughness is said to be the same as S30V according to the datasheet.

While the results are interesting, I think Elmax still deserves considerable respect as a steel with production heat treatment that matches the performance of a custom heat treated steel. I'd be eager to see some more knives produced in that steel, but with a custom(and more expensive and time consuming) heat treatment.

Thanks for the link! That was exactly the type of info I was looking for to get an idea how elmax stacks up.

Thread Information