Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which folder? ZT VS Spyderco

ADVERTISEMENT
    I am in a tough debate on a new hard use folder to buy
    If weight isn't an issue then see kershawguy for an outsatnding price on a ZT 0350 (I don't like them stubby handle small blade) or better a ZT 0200 (I don't like a linerlock but I love the added real estate on the handle and the thick blade) or best is ZT 0301 - these are hard use blades that can get razor sharp too.

What Spyderco folders can do this? My assisted opening 0301, fast as some dedicated switchblades with a titanium framelock, S30V premium steel delivered for $189 to my door.

Quote Originally Posted by cziv View Post
    If weight isn't an issue then see kershawguy for an outsatnding price on a ZT 0350 (I don't like them stubby handle small blade) or better a ZT 0200 (I don't like a linerlock but I love the added real estate on the handle and the thick blade) or best is ZT 0301 - these are hard use blades that can get razor sharp too.

What Spyderco folders can do this? My assisted opening 0301, fast as some dedicated switchblades with a titanium framelock, S30V premium steel delivered for $189 to my door.

Convincing. I may have to get another ZT 301.

I own a 0350 and a manix two xhp. I would choose the manix 2 just because xhp is that much better a preformer then s30:

Quote Originally Posted by spydusse View Post
    I own a 0350 and a manix two xhp. I would choose the manix 2 just because xhp is that much better a preformer then s30:
    I don't think the OP was talking about the price point of the manix 2 CTS-XHP. So it's probably more the 154CM on the manix 2 against the S30V on the 0350.
    Last edited by singularity35; 03-20-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cziv View Post

Nice... That is an impressive video and an impressive knife! Video proof of a knife's strengths.

Tostig

As you might notice, I'm a moderator, so I KNOW what I'm talking about....Get yourself a ZT 0200, plain-edge...You WON'T be sorry..
    "Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    ---US Marine Corps

Dann Fassnacht
    Hoquiam, WA
    glockman99@hotmail.com

i like the manix a little better than the zt

S90v cf Manix & a small inexpensive pry bar from Lowe's.
    MCM

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurdian_A1 View Post
    i will be useing this knife as an EDC..in the city, or in the bush..weight is not an issue, this knife has to be tough..so i am asking anyone who may own one or both of these knives, which is better suited as a hard use folder?
    Tough enough to do what exactly?

As the owner of two ZTs, they are tough. They also are big and bulky -- too much so for many to pocket EDC.

The Manix is plenty tough, and easier on your pockets (and wallet.)

I've been playing with the new Buck Vantage Force Pro, a tougher version of the original Vantage Pro. Something to consider if you don't need a folder quite as large as the ZT or Manix.

All three are impressive and deserve consideration, based upon price and your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by singularity35 View Post
    I don't think the OP was talking about the price point of the manix 2 CTS-XHP. So it's probably more the 154CM on the manix 2 against the S30V on the 0350.
    I can get it cheaper then an 0301.

Last edited by spydusse; 03-21-2011 at 09:29 AM.

I have the ZT 0350 for camping and hiking chores and my edc is a Leek because I was completlely sold on speed safe opeining years ago. A friend commented "yea but what if the spring breaks" Well after 3 years of carry and almost daily use spring on my Leek broke but it it is still a very functional knife. I immediately purchased a replacement and plan to send the broken Leek back for repair.

The Manix 2 in 154CM is a pretty tough knife, the lock and handle can support a lot of cutting force. The blade profile, being a hollow grind is not conducive to really hard abuse. If you plan on doing much prying, digging, etc., then the ZT would be a better choice.

I used my Manix 2 while resurfacing the deck and admittedly did some abusive prying and digging. Sure enough, I bent the tip a couple times and had to bend it back. It's fairly straight but not like factory but it did not chip or break. The knife overall was very solid and the rest came through the abuse with flying colors. But it's not a pry bar.

I really need to get a small pry bar for this sort of work.
    Dan (dsmegst)

Paper Wheels? What are these "Paper Wheels" you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by thegeek574 View Post
    If this needs to handle everything, and since weight is not an issue, go with the 0200. it is a massive knife that weighs a lot, but it will do anything you need it to do. from all i have heard, the 0350 is the blurs bigger brother, so it will be a sweet knife, however, the 0200 is just a massive hunk of a folder.

I don't like mine at all.
    +1
    I have the 200KW and its a bear of a knife. It is big and heavy and probably not a good choice for most folks edc, including me, I switched to the 350KW and LOVE it (but I kept the 200 too )
    Since the op wants "hard use" and weight is not an issue for him....sounds like a 200.

As much as I love Spyderco, if the choice is between a manix and 350 for hard use, I'd have to give the not to the 350.

Quote Originally Posted by spydusse View Post
    I can get it cheaper then an 0301.
    OP was also not talking about a 301 but rather a 350 which is around $100 price point. If you can get a CTS-XHP manix 2 at around $100, I'll get one.

I just got a 0350 the other day.....been EDCing a 0200 and also carry a Spyderco Military.

The 0200 is a freakin awesome knife....but it is huge. I am 6',5" and it really fills the pocket and is a destroyer of pants. The 0350 on the other hand carries as easily as the Military. When I sit down with the 0200, I know it's there....in fact I just ordered a ZT belt case to make it a little easier to carry. So as it is now, the 0350 and Military will be my pocket EDC blades.

As for Spyderco vs ZT.....well they both make top notch knives and you would win no matter which brand you went with.

I have the plain edged version of this ZT.

The ZTs are really cool blades, but IMO they are expensive prybars. They have really thick blades which will not excel at edc package opening or slicing. I agree with MCM's post to get a nice spydie and a small prybar. STR makes really good prybars, and they are perfect for small edc type of stuff. I guess if fine cutting/ opening mail is not too important to you then a ZT is the way to go. For the price however, I was able to pick up a S90V para 2 and in the 5 months of ownership, have sharpened it once. I carry it daily and use it for everything. i just holds an edge like none other.

Two other options for pry-ability. Are a classic old buck 110 and a fixed blade.

I have pried and cut up sheet-rock with my buck. And my ESEE IZULA is one of the best knives i have used. It works great for its small size. Plus they are cheap. If it gets lost or stolen, (neither is likely to break to easily) a new one can be had for less than $50

I do agree that spyderco's aren't super "hard-use" folders. However, they are some of the best slicing blades on the market. And how often are you guys really in situations where you have to pry 2x4s apart? and...if you are in that type of environment, wouldn't you most likely have a claw hammer or a pry-bar with you?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by orchunter93 View Post
    The ZTs are really cool blades, but IMO they are expensive prybars. They have really thick blades which will not excel at edc package opening or slicing.
    So I guess you have never handled a 0350?

Quote Originally Posted by singularity35 View Post
    OP was also not talking about a 301 but rather a 350 which is around $100 price point. If you can get a CTS-XHP manix 2 at around $100, I'll get one.
    I spent 150 for mine and highly recomend u get one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information