Thread: Fixed Blade Combat Style Knife

Fixed Blade Combat Style Knife

ADVERTISEMENT
    I am an avid hunter and outdoors-man and I want to get a fixed blade knife that can be used for those types of activities. I like the combat/fighter style knives and want something that can be carried in the small of my back so it is less likely to get snagged coming in and out of stands or blinds or hiking through the brush. I really need something that is going to hold an edge and do well skinning large or small game. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Check out the custom fixed blade "For Sale" threads on this forum. Some great deals by some great makers.

In factory knives, I'm partial to the H&R ram's horn handled models in German SS (under $75):

Or for a little more money, the Blackjack model 125 in stag and A2 tool steel (around $175):

-- Jeff

"When you side with a man, you stay with him. And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished." Pike Bishop

I would say something from Cold Steel, ESEE, Becker, Kabar...
    They have many models to choose from in this style, I prefer the ColdSteel Recon Scout Bowie, for you...you could get a custom sheath made, so you can Scout carry.
    I like Scout carry as well. It works for me, since I am somewhat wide.., I could imagine a slender person not liking this style of carry..but it works for me.

EDIT, you know what..thinking about skinning game..I would go smaller than the Recon Scout (Although I am sure it would work fine) ...I really want to try a Benchmade Rant bowie, I have never had one, but Benchmade's quality is top notch, and the Rant looks really good.

gunknifenut, thanks for the suggestions! The benchmade is a really good looking knife and I like some of the ESEE's as well.

What is your budget for a knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Skrapmetal View Post
    What is your budget for a knife?
    I would spend up to $125 or so for a knife I REALLY wanted...

Any suggestions?

While you'd have to hunt the second hand market for some models... Swamp Rat and Scrapyard knives both make some really awesome knives that can cross the lines of combat and hunting knives. The Swamp rat RatManDu is available on their site right now without a preorder with lots of color options. The LE is available with no coating, but a bit higher than your range.

http://www.shop.ratknives.com/produc...8&categoryId=1

ESEE is great, too. Bark River has a few models that could do good stuff for you as well (they made the Blackjack that was shown earlier in the thread).

Quote Originally Posted by cloyd View Post
    I am an avid hunter and outdoors-man and I want to get a fixed blade knife that can be used for those types of activities. I like the combat/fighter style knives and want something that can be carried in the small of my back so it is less likely to get snagged coming in and out of stands or blinds or hiking through the brush. I really need something that is going to hold an edge and do well skinning large or small game. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds to me like you really need a hunting knife more then a "combat/fighter style knife".

Big Mike

If you're going to carry it in the small of your back, I'd keep the blade 6" or less. Most combat style knives aren't going to be the best for skinning and gutting game. The Al Mar SERE might fit your needs best, but it's going to run around $200. They have another model called the Talon that runs around $130.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrapmetal View Post
    Swamp Rat and Scrapyard knives both make some really awesome knives that can cross the lines of combat and hunting knives.
    The Scrapyard knives are awesome! I am seriously considering the one below! I really appreciate the suggestion! Does anyone know of any makers with similar styles?

Quote Originally Posted by trailbum View Post
    Becker BK7
    +1 ... but may be a little big for field dressing big game, in that case you'll want the Becker BK2 which is still a robust bombproof survival blade:

Drop point is good for hunting tasks...

Quote Originally Posted by cloyd View Post
    The Scrapyard knives are awesome! I am seriously considering the one below! I really appreciate the suggestion! Does anyone know of any makers with similar styles?

the knife shown is a nessmuk, fairly standard knife. if that is the style you like, i guarantee that at least 80% of the makers here have, or can make that knife, so you have some options there.

Does small of the back carry get in the way of a pack?
    Neeman

Only if you use a pack that utilizes a waist belt, which many, if not most backpacking and newer tactical packs use.

All over Mexico. (and San Diego from time to time)
    Blog Entries

This is my every dirty job knife, that I take when I’m out hunting rabbits.
    Winkler Belt Knife
    By Winkler Knives II

life's to short for safe queen's

Quote Originally Posted by kalama View Post
    I believe thats the Sami puukko...that is a great idea..I want one bad!!!

its the sissi puukko or better known as the,m95 ranger knife by J-P Peltonen,mine was made by fiskars ,its one of the best knives i own an use,love it..get one you will be hooked,they also have a smaller version,but im waiting for a larger one to come out..hopefully.
    life's to short for safe queen's

Blog Entries
    For what cloyd is asking, the smaller version would be better. I've got the M95 and it is a big knife.

Thread Information