Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting the BK2 to the test, so you don't have to...

Putting the BK2 to the test, so you don't have to...

ADVERTISEMENT
    As we all know, the Becker BK2 is a tank, that is why it is referred to as the "trainwrecker." Well I don't have any trains handy, so I found what I could for the BK2 to wreck. We have an old tenant house on our property that has been empty for many, many years, but there's a lot of crap sitting around, so I went to find some good targets.

First up: old sheet metal
    (the last picture of a "pretty" BK2)

I started by stabbing through the sheet

only minor damage to the edge

Then I proceeded to chop on the side of the sheetmetal

again, minor damage. mostly little dents and rolls

Ok, sheet metal is no match for the BK2. O found a rusty long piece of metal and chopped it into sections

some more dents on the edge, no big deal

more to come...

So enough with the little stuff, time to find something more substantial. I saw an old heater/stove thing, I don't know what it is but it was big and metal.

I started trying to hit through like I did with the sheet metal, but this was much thicker so I started hammering the butt of the knife with a 2x4.

I finished cutting a hole in the side of the heater. There was another layer of metal under the outside layer that ended up chipping the point of the knife. You can see in this pic about 1/16" is missing from the point.

...and some more pics of the damage

At this point I felt I needed to chop something, and I saw a nice, heavy concrete block.

Last edited by BRab; 04-06-2011 at 02:02 PM.

DAMAGE ASSESSMENT:

Here are some closeup pics of the edge. The concrete block did the most damage to the edge. Before the concrete, the edge had mostly dents and rolls in the edge, but there is a little chipping from the concrete. You can also see the damage to the tip from the heater.

All in all, I am incredibly impressed with the BK2. I put the knife through some serious abuse and it held up extremely well. The damage to the edge can be fixed with some time on the belt grinder. I think you can feel confident that the Becker BK2 is quite capable at taking whatever beating you throw at it. If this was your only knife in a survival situation, it is nice to know it is not going to break on you. This knife is a BEAST!

Now I am anxious to see what else it can take. After I fix the edge I am going to have to find more stuff to wreck with the "trainwrecker."
    Last edited by BRab; 04-06-2011 at 02:25 PM.

This is gonna be good.

impressive so far, much thanks for this.
    Last edited by jacktrades_nbk; 04-06-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Damn, good stuff brother.

awesome!!, please don't attempt to break it, but keep on abusing it. I would really like to see what it will withstand.

It can take everything you can throw at it....

Thanks for damaging your knife for our entertainment! Awesome footage! I can't wait to see how it cleans up.
    Beckerhead #38
    Never Forget

Damn. That was something else. All in all, you still have a usable knife. Thanks for the post, I'm impressed.

Moose
    Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash.

Nice work, thanks for the demo of the demo. Beat the crap out of it some more and then put a nice edge back on, that would be the cherry on the sundae.

great stuff.... glad you beat the hell out of yours...so I don't have to! Ok I will too!

Beckerhead #32

would like to see the blade when you have it grinded back

Impressive, looks like you could fix that edge up pretty easy and put it right back into service. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I gave the BK2 a makeover. The damage to the edge really wasn't that bad. She deserved spa treatment after today, and after she gets some rest it will be time for more destruction.

Here are some beauty shots.

Quote Originally Posted by slapper View Post
    awesome!!, please don't attempt to break it, but keep on abusing it. I would really like to see what it will withstand.
    Thanks. I feel the same way. I'm gonna be really upset if I actually break it, but I now think that is a difficult thing to do. This thing is a tank and its fun to see what it is capable of.

At first I wasn't really enjoying this thread. Just seemed like wanton destruction of a good piece of equipment, using it in ways for which it wasn't intended. Then I got to where you gave it the spa treatment, and Hell, who can argue that that fine piece of cutlery is destroyed? Not I! Carry on!

Blues

Part 2! OK, so I was bored.

Just to show that the knife is sharp

First I went after the satellite dish. I thought it was going to be plastic but it was much tougher, fiberglass maybe?

my favorite picture so far:

a few rolls in the edge, otherwise just a little duller than before

Next target a brick

this was an easy task for the BK2

I went back to the big heater because I wanted to see what messed up the BK2's tip the first time. I stared by cutting the bolts holding the back plate on by wailing on the knife with a 2x4

got them all out

here's the culprit

Here is the edge at this point

I tried chopping a 2x4, but I didn't get very far before I gave up

next up, an old lawn mower

The last little test for today was a long metal band

not too much of a problem for the BK2 except that the ege was so dull at this point it took a lot to chop through the metal

Here's the damage from this adventure:

I was sure when I was chopping through metal bolts that I was going to significantly chip the edge, but no. Sparks flew but the edge is still just a little bruised. I'm not sure what else to try, maybe the BK2 deserves a break. I keep thinking I'm going to mess the knife up beyond repair, but it just laughs at me...I don't know...

Oh well, back to the belt grinder I guess...

What an incredible tool!!!

I fixed the edge again. I also dropped the point a little bit.

I want to thank Ethan and Kabar for offering such great blades. The performance to price ratio is off the scale!

Ironically, I think I prefer the BK2's new look more than before all these tests.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information