Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the best throwing knife?

what is the best throwing knife?

ADVERTISEMENT
    hey im new to bladeforums and i didnt know where to post about throwing knives so i thought i would do it under fixed blades. im looking for the best kind of throwin knife at the same time isnt too expensive. im a beginner and currently im throwing a really old maxam fixed blade. i know really bad knife. so i really want a good knife thats actually meant for throwing. thanks.

moved to appropriate sub-forum
    FAQ RulesMembership Subscription Options Update Your User Group

fides, ut anima, unde abiit eo nunquam redit

local flea markets usually have some cheap sets

boker makes several nice ones that are not too expensive. i have the three knife set, which comes with a nice sheath.

yeah ill see if there are any flea markets close. and i looked up those boker knives yeah they're real nice. you're right, i like the leather sheath.

I really like the Cold Steel Throwers. Classic designs that will never wear out or break. You will have to replace the scales on the models that have scale but that is true of any thrower. For that reason I like the True Balance Thrower that has no scales. It is close to a measured copy of Harry McEvoy's Throwing knife from the 1950s that still survive and are traded by collectors and throwers to this day
    Sure Balance Thrower
    Specifications:
    Blade Length: 9"
    Overall Length: 13 3/8"
    Steel: 1055 Carbon
    Weight: 18.3 oz
    Handle: 4 3/8" Long
    No doubt you can pay more from a custom knife maker and get a better knife but for starters these are great. You can find them for about $15 each and they are well worth the price.

Thanks! That helps alot.

cold steel throwers are great! they are heavy enuf and strong/flexible enuf to survive any mistakes and they stick good and deep.

Good site with lots of info.

Deal spotting or posting outside links are a NO NO on this forum
    Last edited by Bobby Branton; 12-11-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattohn View Post
    local flea markets usually have some cheap sets
    Don't do that. Knives I've gotten from the flea market all end up breaking on me. I've never purchased a thrower there but I've gotten balisongs before. Better to spend an extra $3 and get a $15 thrower off of Amazon

My first -- and still my favorite -- throwing knife is the Cold Steel Perfect Balance. As someone else mentioned...these are tough knives and not likely to break, due to their 1055 carbon steel construction. I've got some other knives from United Cutlery and Boker, but they're stainless steel. They look great, they throw great, but the tips get bent. My Perfect Balance, however, is just as straight as the day I bought it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tacTK808 View Post
    My first -- and still my favorite -- throwing knife is the Cold Steel Perfect Balance. As someone else mentioned...these are tough knives and not likely to break, due to their 1055 carbon steel construction. I've got some other knives from United Cutlery and Boker, but they're stainless steel. They look great, they throw great, but the tips get bent. My Perfect Balance, however, is just as straight as the day I bought it.
    of course some people are turned of by cold steel's penchant for shamelessly stealing designs, and the one thrower of theirs I bought was soft and would take a set from any side impact. even if you ignore the stealing and inconsistent QC, they cannot be considered "the best."

#420 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Bob patrick makes some very nice throwing knives

Harald Moeller has made and still sells his Viper throwing knives He has even written a small booklet about this activity. I'm sure you can google his name.
    If you don't find any in his web site, email him. His folders are expensive but his throwers are good stuff at reasonable prices. Frank

dont have much experience with them at all but I've heard good things about cold steel when it comes to throwing knives...

I (of course) will appear to be biased but I really like the Cold Steel Sure Balance Thrower.
    I have been using mine for a few years now and they have held up great.
    I am by no means an expert but I've used a few different throwers and I like the weight of the Sure Balance a lot.

To find out more about Cold Steel please visit:

Cold Steel Website
    Cold Steel Official Facebook Fan Page

Please note: This is not a platform for Customer Services.
    To contact to our Customer Services Team, please follow this link

I like throwing thorn-style a lot better than flipping and find that I have a lot more options as far as knives to choose from. I threw a little yesterday with a Cold Steel GI Tanto. Good luck.

I have a couple of Tru Flight throwers by Cold Steel that I like. I'm disappointed in them for using 1055 and even throwing at soft plywood I've already chipped the edge on one, but, considering that it only needs a good point and heft to sink into things, it still does just fine. I really like them overall, and would recommend checking 'em out.

best throwing knives are by Bobby Branton

It also depends on your style. I own a set of shur-knives XL from flying steel and they are really great for no spin. I also own a set of pierce arrow from crescent knife works and they are truly awesome for both no spin and circus style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information